Log correct coordinates of a cache

According to the log, this cache is nowhere near its posted coordinates: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1835fe5f-3b27-4e6a-97b8-e1b0ab902494

Most of the finders have indicated in their log entry that it is around 40-70' away from the coordinates on the cache listing.

Knowing this, I'll be going back later today to try to find it. If I find it, I'd like to post the correct coordinates in my log entry, but not if that would be frowned upon. Thoughts?

--Matt

According to the log, this cache is nowhere near its posted coordinates: http://www.geocachin...b8-e1b0ab902494

Most of the finders have indicated in their log entry that it is around 40-70' away from the coordinates on the cache listing.

Knowing this, I'll be going back later today to try to find it. If I find it, I'd like to post the correct coordinates in my log entry, but not if that would be frowned upon. Thoughts?

--Matt

It can be frowned on by the rare cache owner, but it is commonly done around here. And if the cache owner is not responsive to numerous requests to change the coords (or is simply not available anymore) don't be afraid to ask the reviewer to update them.

Its a traditional cache, not an unknown or puzzle, or some type of strange multi.

Traditional cache coordinates should be spot on, if they aren't, then its not a traditional cache.

If the owner doesn't like it, then he/she shouldn't have listed it as a traditional cache, other finders will appreciate it.

If it's within 20' I wouldn't bother as consumer-grade GPSrs are only *so* accurate. 20-40' is kind of a grey area (could just be a bad day with the satellites). 40'+ I would definitely mention it in my log and if I remember, add coordinates to it.

Hmmm...Firefox says "grey" is misspelled. Must be an American thing.

I noticed yesterday that the first two (and only two) finders of a new cache both state they found it .16/.15 miles away from the posted coords. I'm quite surprised that the owner hasn't corrected the coordinates yet! If I had found the cache, I wouldn't have hesitated to post correct coords (and it's not frowned upon here).

I noticed yesterday that the first two (and only two) finders of a new cache both state they found it .16/.15 miles away from the posted coords. I'm quite surprised that the owner hasn't corrected the coordinates yet! If I had found the cache, I wouldn't have hesitated to post correct coords (and it's not frowned upon here).

No grey area there! That one needs some attention.

It's common around here to post correct coordinates. Some owners are touchy about it. Some will purposely post bad coordinates thinking it makes the cache more difficult. I've seen that. Since I'm never FTF on caches I take the info in logs which says how many feet off a cache is and use that in my search. If I come up with the same footage in the same direction as other people have I might note the coordinates where I found it if it's 30 feet or more off.

I, for one, like it when updated coordinates are posted in cache logs. I dont have internet access in the field and they are a backup for me if I am having difficulty locating the cache. In GSAK, there is a macro which will scan cache logs for extra coordinates and add them as children waypoints. Like others have noted, unless the coordinates are 30-40 ft off, I wont bother mentioning it. As a cache owner, if multiple finders are noting bad coordinates, I would go back out and check my work, but that's just me...

Edited by Shelbrain

Something I'd like to add -- if you use someone else's coordinates to locate a cache where the posted coordinates are off, it is very useful to re-post those coordinates in your own log to help keep them at the top of the page.

If it is a new cacher I'll often go as far as saying something like "Found it using xxxxx's coordinates of Nxx xx.xxx Wxxx xx.xxx. You may want to update your listing, which you can do yourself by posting an "Update Coordinates" log.

I think sometimes the new owners just don't know how to fix it themselves and they are hesitant to approach a reviewer for help. For veteran owners who don't update the coordinates? They're just stubborn. :laughing:

Something I'd like to add -- if you use someone else's coordinates to locate a cache where the posted coordinates are off, it is very useful to re-post those coordinates in your own log to help keep them at the top of the page.

If it is a new cacher I'll often go as far as saying something like "Found it using xxxxx's coordinates of Nxx xx.xxx Wxxx xx.xxx. You may want to update your listing, which you can do yourself by posting an "Update Coordinates" log.

I think sometimes the new owners just don't know how to fix it themselves and they are hesitant to approach a reviewer for help. For veteran owners who don't update the coordinates? They're just stubborn. :laughing:

Excellent advice!

Yes. Please do this - post your coordinates in the log...you can also do the "Add a coordinate to this log" but it doesn't show up in the logs when I read them on my Blackberry via Cachesense. It's so frustrating to read - used QT's coordinates to find the cache, but QT's entry was 10 logs ago and off the page or QT's log is the 2nd most current one but s/he posted it as a "Add a coordinate to this log" but not in the text of their comment.

I now bookmark caches where I have posted a coordinate and check them periodically. If the CO hasn't updated the coords and my log is older then the top 5, I'll add a note with the corrected coordinates to help out the next finder.

Yes. Please do this - post your coordinates in the log...you can also do the "Add a coordinate to this log" but it doesn't show up in the logs when I read them on my Blackberry via Cachesense. It's so frustrating to read - used QT's coordinates to find the cache, but QT's entry was 10 logs ago and off the page or QT's log is the 2nd most current one but s/he posted it as a "Add a coordinate to this log" but not in the text of their comment.

That sounds like a problem that Cachesense needs to address.

I have a cache that has been around for a few years. Some finders post that the coords were right on. Some post the coords were off by xx feet and offer "corrected" coordinates. I have visited the cache site many times with three different GPS units and have alwys found my posted coords to be within .001 or so of what the GPS shows. I take suggestions for "corrected" coordinates with a few grains of salt most of the time, especially it the cache has been around for a while.

We have a CO here in Floresville that has coordinates that are up to 150' off. I think he/she uses Google earth to set the caches. I'm always surprised nothing is done to any of them after no find logs and a bunch of DNF's are posted. The CO has a lot more hides than finds. I don't look for them much but I have found a couple of them. It seems that the CO thinks that is how they are supposed to be done. I like looking for hard ones if the coordinates are well done, but these are not, and they are not fun at all.

Switch your spellchecker to british english :P

But I'm an American. :unsure:

Well then it's wrong, then it's spelled (spelt?) "gray". :anitongue:

I've never been outside the US, and i've been taught since kindergarten it's "grey".

I've never been outside the US, and i've been taught since kindergarten it's "grey".

Grey is often used in conjunction with another word such as, Greybeard, Greyhound.

Gray is the way it is usually spelled and both are correct, according to Websters.

Grey is often used in conjunction with another word such as, Greybeard, Greyhound.

Gray is the way it is usually spelled and both are correct, according to Websters.

According to the Free Online Dictionary -

grey, gray -

The distinction in spelling between British grey and American gray is recent, popping up in the 20th century.See also related terms for recent.

Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2011 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.

grey now esp US, gray [greɪ]

adj

1. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Colours) of a neutral tone, intermediate between black and white, that has no hue and reflects and transmits only a little light

2. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Animals) greyish in colour or having parts or marks that are greyish

3. dismal or dark, esp from lack of light; gloomy

4. neutral or dull, esp in character or opinion

5. having grey hair

6. of or relating to people of middle age or above grey power

7. ancient; venerable8. (Clothing, Personal Arts & Crafts / Textiles) (of textiles) natural, unbleached, undyed, and untreated

n

1. (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Colours) any of a group of grey tones

2. (Clothing, Personal Arts & Crafts / Textiles) grey cloth or clothing dressed in grey

3. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Zoology) an animal, esp a horse, that is grey or whitish

vb

to become or make grey

It appears as though it has been made a gray area, in which should be used in the United States, both mean and sound the same. Go with the flow and don't worry.

-----------------

As to the coordinates being wrong..... there is one cacher within our general area (over 100 miles away) who doesn't have a GPSr and has actually posted several caches with the term "Due to my not having a GPS, If the coordinates are off, let me know and post the coordinates. I will update the Coordinates within the description of the cache page."

Now this seems to be not liked to well, as his few caches do not have many finds. I did not bother with these caches either.

Shirley~

------------------

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

If several respected locals mention my numbers are off, I would most certainly appreciate their input for corrections.

I do have to laugh when (after 20+ finds with no issues mentioned) someone new comes along and complains that the numbers are 20 Ft. off! :lol:

Or when someone new says the coordinates were off, so they rehid the cache where their GPS led them. I know the CO will have a lot of fun finding his own cache. :rolleyes:

Shirley~

-------------------

I like it when somebody e-mails me and says your coords are off by 50'/35'/35' you need to change them. Then I don't get a response when I asked if they took a minimum of 186 samples down to the fourth decimal and averaged them, then repeated the process on a different day during a different time of day then repeated the process 5 more times and averaged it all together. Well one person said I was full of Bulls Hit because it would take me at least 3 hours a day so I offered to show him my nifty self sampling and averaging unit that also shows a margin of error that causes me to reject the average if it exceeds 15'.

That is one reason why I wont assume a CO is wrong.

I have had times when I found cache one to be in the grey/gray zone then the next cache was too and the next all by different CO's.

Yet another reason.

Some times it is the lone cache and I circled out about 50' from GZ and couldn't find it then came back the next week and the GPSr lead me straight to the cache with identical coords 60+ feet away from the original location it had lead me to.

Only twice did I ever suggest to a CO that they change their coords.

1. Every cache my brother ever placed without my help because his coords are always SSW.

2. I was having problems finding a cache that I knew I wouldn't be able to come back too for a long time so I broke down and read the last 5 logs all stating the the cache was east from GZ. I quickly found it after that in the first tree I came to, so I decided to be nice and I left my unit taking samples for over an hour wile I explored the area, got less than 10' error so let the CO know.

I'll take notice if people start claiming my coords are off but I'm not going to do a thing outside of my normal rechecks unless they are all saying what direction they are off and the directions are the same.

As to the coordinates being wrong..... there is one cacher within our general area (over 100 miles away) who doesn't have a GPSr and has actually posted several caches with the term "Due to my not having a GPS, If the coordinates are off, let me know and post the coordinates. I will update the Coordinates within the description of the cache page."

Now this seems to be not liked to well, as his few caches do not have many finds. I did not bother with these caches either.

Shirley~

------------------

They were published with that wording on the page????

Shirley~

------------------

They were published with that wording on the page????

Either that or a note.

If someone (possibly with a more sensitive or accurate GPS than mine) posts a log with a suggestion of better coordinates I'll take it under advice. If there are many DNFs and the finders all suggest a different set of coords I'll be grateful for the correction. Other people are free to ignore the suggestions. In any case if someone is trying to be helpful then thats a good thing (even if they got it wrong :) )

Some people will complain about anything. Some people take things too seriously and personally.

We have a CO here in Floresville that has coordinates that are up to 150' off. I think he/she uses Google earth to set the caches. I'm always surprised nothing is done to any of them after no find logs and a bunch of DNF's are posted. The CO has a lot more hides than finds. I don't look for them much but I have found a couple of them. It seems that the CO thinks that is how they are supposed to be done. I like looking for hard ones if the coordinates are well done, but these are not, and they are not fun at all.

Post an NA log to bring it to the reviewer's attention; I bet then something would be done.