Survey

Here is a copy/paste of the e-mail

Greetings from Groundspeak! We are trying to better understand our members so that we can improve our services, features and the general geocaching experience. We would greatly appreciate it if you could fill out this survey. You will be asked a maximum of 2 multiple choice questions.

Here is a link to the survey: link removed

This link is uniquely tied to this survey and your email address. Please do not forward this message.

Thanks for your participation! Cheers, The Groundspeak Team

Please note: If you do not wish to receive further emails from us, please click the link below, and you will be automatically removed from our mailing list.http://www.surveymonkey.com/optout.aspx?sm=18IYdFZRx31BAbV082iGig_3d_3d

It came from noreply@geocaching.com

The survey was one question about the new look of the website.

Something along the lines of: GS recently updated the website, do you like it? 4 multi choice answers given. 10 second survey is right ;)

Edited by MoFryFam

I got the E-mail. The survey was stupid.

We recently updated the look of Geocaching.com. How do you feel about the current width of webpages on the site?

and

On which pages do you feel that the page width detracts from your enjoyment of the website? (Please check all that apply.)

then its over.

We recently updated the look of Geocaching.com. How do you feel about the current width of webpages on the site?

and

On which pages do you feel that the page width detracts from your enjoyment of the website? (Please check all that apply.)

then its over.

I do not believe it was a hoax. My department uses Survey Monkey regularly. I took the survey. I do not believe it was stupid. It asked a very pointed question about a topic that has generated a lot of discussion in the forum. It then asked a very targeted question in response to the answer to the first question. Someone at the Lily Pad is paying attention (maybe a little after the fact but it's a start)

and

then its over.

I do not believe it was a hoax. My department uses Survey Monkey regularly. I took the survey. I do not believe it was stupid. It asked a very pointed question about a topic that has generated a lot of discussion in the forum. It then asked a very targeted question in response to the answer to the first question. Someone at the Lily Pad is paying attention (maybe a little after the fact but it's a start)

Is their a single-person who believed it was a hoax? For one, checking the E-mail address reaveals... Wait for it... it's from geocaching.com. Secondly, I've done at least 25+ survey monkey survey's for different sites...

This email looks like a hoax. Why this way? It would better be done via the weekly newsletter. We deleted the email. And we'll do it again next time. There ought to be a much better way to get feedback.

and what makes you think it was a hoax?

my guess is that it was done this way because there maybe is a cap on how many can participate

but its good you deleted it and passed on the opportunity to voice your opinion officially

and

then its over.

You'd think they'd just read their forums, wouldn't you? :blink:

and

then its over.

Don't you remember? They said it was to hard to read the forums and keep track of the problems. But it seems to me that the release notes can be summed up as the maps suck and the fixed width suck. But perhaps I missed the real problem in one of the posts.

I noticed they didn't ask my opinion. :laughing:

So you don't feel left out, I'll ask your opinion.

•  
  • Cache pages
  • Maps
  • Groundspeak.com 'current openings' page
  • Your Account Details page
  • Geocaching.com Twitter page
  • Off Topic "Shortest Thread Ever" page
  • Those really skinny pages where the Facebook Feedback tab overlaps some stuff you'd like to see
  • Any page with the word "Waymarking" in it

monkey_popcorn.gif

and

then its over.

Someone evidently did. Groundspeak apparently decided they wanted a broader perspective on this issue than just the forum dwellers. We really are a small percentage of the people that geocache. I would like to see an explanation of why they thought the "translucent" cache pages were a good idea. That was so patently NOT a good idea that they resolved that without a survey. How could they not know that it would 1) make many pages unreadable and 2) render a number of mystery caches moot?

I would like to see an explanation of why they thought the "translucent" cache pages were a good idea. ... How could they not know that it would 1) make many pages unreadable and 2) render a number of mystery caches moot?

Probably because the developers are not geocachers :P:rolleyes:

Isn't that what the feedback site if for...

And I quote from the Sticky in the Release Notes forum:

This forum topic is used as a central location for information relating to various Groundspeak product updates. Forum posts by me and other lackeys will outline what has changed and provide a location for discussion immediately following the release. If you wish to join the discussion please try to keep the conversation focused on questions and issues that arise as a direct result of the changes made in the update. All other problems can be reported on our feedback site located here.

and

then its over.

Someone evidently did. Groundspeak apparently decided they wanted a broader perspective on this issue than just the forum dwellers. We really are a small percentage of the people that geocache. I would like to see an explanation of why they thought the "translucent" cache pages were a good idea. That was so patently NOT a good idea that they resolved that without a survey. How could they not know that it would 1) make many pages unreadable and 2) render a number of mystery caches moot?

I would tend to agree with you (not that being a small percentage prevents us from being a microcosm of the larger population or our opinions less valuable) except for the fact that so many posts to the New Release thread were from members with very few forum posts. They received plenty of voluntary feedback from users that don't normally post here.

• Cache pages
  • Maps
  • Those really skinny pages where the Facebook Feedback tab overlaps some stuff you'd like to see

monkey_popcorn.gif

Hey... I saw that.

• Cache pages
  • Maps

monkey_popcorn.gif

Hey... I saw that.

The changes to the new site definitely messed up the shortest thread. :blink:

• Cache pages
  • Maps

monkey_popcorn.gif

Hey... I saw that.

Yep, the width was made smaller, making the thread appear longer.

*Any page with the word "Waymarking" in it

You just HAD to take a swipe at Waymarking didn't you...

*Goes and yells to world: IT'S NOT THAT BAD!!!*

Of course not.

*Any page with the word "Waymarking" in it

You just HAD to take a swipe at Waymarking didn't you...

*Goes and yells to world: IT'S NOT THAT BAD!!!*

Of course it's not, and that wasn't intended as a swipe. For the record, I've supported and contributed to and enjoyed Waymarking since its inception. I'm still an active participant. :)

• Cache pages
  • Maps

monkey_popcorn.gif

Hey... I saw that.

Yep, the width was made smaller, making the thread appear longer.

If they only would have used a background image with horizontal stripes for the shortest thread it would have made it appear fatter.

So, you receive the e-mail and post your response. If you click on the choices that you noticed the changes it advances you to another question. If you click on the answer 'I didn't notice any change', it takes you to a spam webpage offering you free money for taking surveys. I guess everyone needs to make money but spam really sucks. Oh well, it gave me the option to not take any more surveys or get spammed to death. Great choices.

The spam website you are talking about is surveymonkey. Its not spam at all. Companies pay for surveys in hopes that they can get data. Nothing spammy about it. Better yet sometimes companies don't do it through third parties like surveymonkey pinecone research and american consumer opinion. They host it on their site so the incentive to do it is higher. In fact I just got a 10 amazon card from turbotax for doing a survey that took 10 minutes... acting like companies never pay for consumers opinion is very nieve. Sure there are spam sites but those are obvious... you'll never get an ipad for free. Although I have received a free $250 logitech harmony one universal remote from bzzgent. (A word of mouth website where you get a product and about 100 flyers. Of course you'll. Have to report to the website all the converstations you had. If you don't you won't get picked by the next company)) most of the times on bzzagent you get a reduced price (manufactoring cosr no profit margin) I was surprised that logitech went the extra mile and went full on free which only occasionly happens let alone on pricey items.

Do you mean "stupid" in the modern slang interpretation making it equivalent to "great," "clever," "ingeneous," in its economy and clarity?

Or do you mean that a survey has to be complex to have any value?

(I got the email and did the survey. I thought it was a smart way to get information on a single, focused question.)

Do you mean "stupid" in the modern slang interpretation making it equivalent to "great," "clever," "ingeneous," in its economy and clarity?

Or do you mean that a survey has to be complex to have any value?

(I got the email and did the survey. I thought it was a smart way to get information on a single, focused question.)

well you can't win with some people lol...if its too short is stupid if its too long they are annoyed at the length of it

i was one of the lucky ones to get it and i saw this as an opportunity to express my opinion

The spam website you are talking about is surveymonkey. Its not spam at all. Companies pay for surveys in hopes that they can get data. Nothing spammy about it. Better yet sometimes companies don't do it through third parties like surveymonkey pinecone research and american consumer opinion. They host it on their site so the incentive to do it is higher. In fact I just got a 10 amazon card from turbotax for doing a survey that took 10 minutes... acting like companies never pay for consumers opinion is very nieve. Sure there are spam sites but those are obvious... you'll never get an ipad for free. Although I have received a free $250 logitech harmony one universal remote from bzzgent. (A word of mouth website where you get a product and about 100 flyers. Of course you'll. Have to report to the website all the converstations you had. If you don't you won't get picked by the next company)) most of the times on bzzagent you get a reduced price (manufactoring cosr no profit margin) I was surprised that logitech went the extra mile and went full on free which only occasionly happens let alone on pricey items.

Yes, it is spam. I was redirected to another site that I didn't want anything to do with. That is spam. When I recently e-mailed the HQ and went to respond how I was treated by whomever answered my e-mail, it sent me there again. Spam.

Yes, it is spam. I was redirected to another site that I didn't want anything to do with. That is spam. When I recently e-mailed the HQ and went to respond how I was treated by whomever answered my e-mail, it sent me there again. Spam.

It didn't redirect me, nor anyone else to this spam website. Are you CERTAIN it's not Surveymonkey's rewards?