Pocket queries from maps

Andicap

Is there any chance that the software could allow the user to look at a map of the caches in an area of interest and then to be able to draw a rectangle round an area so as to capture all inside and to download the data in the form of a pocket query? I realise that one can bookmark selected caches and download these but for speed it would be better just to be able to enclose the desired area and do it all at one go.

The original map does allow you to make a PQ from what you can see on the map...

It sets the co-ords to the centre of the map you can see.

And then what??? If you are looking at a section of map - how doe you get all that into a PQ?

Zoom in/zoom out scroll left/right/up/down to get the caches you want, then in the box Premium Member Filters: select Create Pocket Query and select as per anyother PQ.

The coords are set to the centre of the map, and a distance is already set to cover what is shown on the map.

Check 500 or 1000 caches. Run without selecting a Day to Run to see if you get what you expect, if you do, click Edit select Day to Run and Run.

Zoom in/zoom out scroll left/right/up/down to get the caches you want, then in the box Premium Member Filters: select Create Pocket Query and select as per anyother PQ.

The coords are set to the centre of the map, and a distance is already set to cover what is shown on the map.

Check 500 or 1000 caches. Run without selecting a Day to Run to see if you get what you expect, if you do, click Edit select Day to Run and Run.

I think I must be starting from a different screen to the one you are talking about. I have a map but no associated selection for a PQ OR I can get a selection for PQs but no map and certainly no transference of map details and radius. Sorry to sound so dumb but frankly I find navigating though all the pages on the web site a real pain. Anyhow - from what screen are you starting please? An idiots guide is what is needed here.

Original maps, not the new beta maps.

On you profile page http://www.geocaching.com/my/ right hand side Search Options picture of a square map Map It click on it.

Brings up the new beta map. Top right click on Back to original maps

The box in the top right corner with Premium Member Filters: has Create Pocket Query function.

Ah... Got it at last. Seems a very convoluted way of going about things - but never mind. Thanks very much for the help.

Is there any chance that the software could allow the user to look at a map of the caches in an area of interest and then to be able to draw a rectangle round an area so as to capture all inside and to download the data in the form of a pocket query? I realise that one can bookmark selected caches and download these but for speed it would be better just to be able to enclose the desired area and do it all at one go.

A problem with the highlighted portion above. Some consider it minor, some do not... your PQ will return as a (more or less) circular mapping pattern, not rectangular. The map is constructed as a distance radii from the center.

If you are attempting to fill-in a contiguous area, you will have overlap, hence, duplicated caches within the PQ's.

I would like to do PQ's of rectangular areas rather than based on radius from location, to avoid overlaps.

Is there still a way?

You never could do a PQ of a rectangular area. It has always been a circular area. If you use 3rd party software like GSAK, you can download caches based on a rectangular area, but the only option on the website is circular.

I would like to do PQ's of rectangular areas rather than based on radius from location, to avoid overlaps.

Is there still a way?

You never could do a PQ of a rectangular area. It has always been a circular area. If you use 3rd party software like GSAK, you can download caches based on a rectangular area, but the only option on the website is circular.

I thought they were rectangles right now, and have been for awhile. Didn't they switch that not too long ago?

I thought they were rectangles right now, and have been for awhile. Didn't they switch that not too long ago?

Nope, I just tried it myself to confirm. I chose a heavily cache laden area near me, created a PQ from the map, then previewed the result on the map. I got a clearly circular area. Whether you create a PQ from scratch, or from the map, the only range option is for a distance from a point, which can only describe a circle. A rectangular area would need more information (at least two sets of coordinates for opposite corners of the rectangle). AFAIK, the only way to get a rectangular area is through the API using 3rd party software, and that was only added a few months ago.

Nope, I just tried it myself to confirm. I chose a heavily cache laden area near me, created a PQ from the map, then previewed the result on the map. I got a clearly circular area. Whether you create a PQ from scratch, or from the map, the only range option is for a distance from a point, which can only describe a circle. A rectangular area would need more information (at least two sets of coordinates for opposite corners of the rectangle). AFAIK, the only way to get a rectangular area is through the API using 3rd party software, and that was only added a few months ago.

Wow, newsflash for me, I totally thought they were changed to squares, but I guess not.

Wow, newsflash for me, I totally thought they were changed to squares, but I guess not.

Thanks for the answers! :)

So now that the old maps are gone, I suppose this is another feature lost :(

Is there still a way?

BTW - it is easy to avoid overlaps in data - use date placed as criteria for a large area - zero overlap.