Logging archived caches.

Craig333

I was looking at a cache that I found that is now archived. Becouse it is no long there. And someone logged they found it 26 day later. I know for a fact it is not there. I feel when a cache is archived you should no longer be able to log it as found when it is no long there.

As long as they found it, actually found it, before it went missing, logging it later, archived or not, is not a problem. If he logged it without finding anything then it is his lose for being a cheater. Don't sweat it.

Also, I have seen archived caches logged that were still really there although everyone thought it was gone. I had one like this where someone return the cache and someone else found it although it was archived and logged it as a find. I then went to the cache and removed it because of the accidental finds.

4497_300.jpg

I print out all the caches the interest me and put them on a clipboard. One virtual cache had been on my clipboard for several months; it was in an area I infrequently work. I didn't have the time to do it, so I left it on the clipboard until my next visit to the area. (There's no need to check the website again, right? It's only a virtual. So I thought.)

Anyway, I finally got around to visiting it, went home to write my log, and discovered it had been archived a month or two earlier due to a lack of visitors. (Of course, the virtual cache was "still there.") I e-mailed the owner with the required information and logged the cache ... he had no problem with it.

I've had it happen the other way around, too, and this example better fits the thread's topic of caches that are "no longer there": Somebody visited one of my caches a few days after I had removed and archived it. They had printed out the page the same day I archived it. They provided me with an excellent description of where the cache had been, and I allowed the find.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on July 19, 2002 at 10:40 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Craig333:

ok I guss what gets me is I know it is goen has been for long time. I have check it and live in the area. Oh well I geuss not a big deal.

It would be helpful if you added a link to the cache. In my earlier post, the point I was trying to make is that there are possible exceptions ... the cache you wrote about sounds like it shouldn't have been claimed as a find. Contact the cache owner and the "finder" and express your concern.

quote:

Here is the link....http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3442

And thanks I will e-mail them

Yeah - when I was new I logged a cache as a find... it wasn't actually archived yet, but I only found the location of the cache - not the cache itself, which may or may not have been gone. I've since gone back and changed that, deciding that I'd like to stick to a stricter set of rules for myself.

Now, forcing rules on someone else is tough... the cache was gone, but this person went to exactly where it was - so they say - and they feel that they've completed the requirments to add the log as a find. It is hard to argue with them if they believe that they had a find. *shrug*

I just don't worry about other people's logs unless they affect my cache or bugs somehow. I still think people are lame if they fake entries, but it isn't anything I'm going to go after them about. icon_smile.gif

Rubbertoe - Webcam - Image Archives

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

quote:

Here is the link....http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3442

And thanks I will e-mail them

Yeah - when I was new I logged a cache as a find... it wasn't actually archived yet, but I only found the location of the cache - not the cache itself, which may or may not have been gone. I've since gone back and changed that, deciding that I'd like to stick to a stricter set of rules for myself.

Now, forcing rules on someone else is tough... the cache was gone, but this person went to exactly where it was - so they say - and they feel that they've completed the requirments to add the log as a find. It is hard to argue with them if they believe that they had a find. *shrug*

I just don't worry about other people's logs unless they affect my cache or bugs somehow. I still think people are lame if they fake entries, but it isn't anything I'm going to go after them about. icon_smile.gif

Rubbertoe - Webcam - Image Archives

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

I found one the same day it was archived. Some people will archive first then go get the cache instead of posting a note saying "I'm going to pull the cache on xxx date, don't hunt it after then." I spent quite a while hunting this cache and would have been highly annoyed if I couldn't log it after finding it.

I guess it is up to the individual, and their moral fiber, as to whether they log an archived cache because

quote:
they feel that they've completed the requirments to add the log as a find. It is hard to argue with them if they believe that they had a find

-Rubbertoe

. And since I'm not really competing with other cachers, rather with myself, it really doesn't matter whether they log or not...

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

I guess it is up to the individual, and their moral fiber, as to whether they log an archived cache because

quote:
they feel that they've completed the requirments to add the log as a find. It is hard to argue with them if they believe that they had a find

-Rubbertoe

. And since I'm not really competing with other cachers, rather with myself, it really doesn't matter whether they log or not...

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

The numbers where in the 315, I was in the area, I went looking and there it was, the cache was still stashed on site so I opened it, traded in and out, signed the logbook and away I went. But, if I had not found the cache and been able to sign the logbook, it would have been a no find. And remember, you can not be just a little bit pregnant so you can not log it because you where close. You either find it or not. icon_razz.gif

The numbers where in the 315, I was in the area, I went looking and there it was, the cache was still stashed on site so I opened it, traded in and out, signed the logbook and away I went. But, if I had not found the cache and been able to sign the logbook, it would have been a no find. And remember, you can not be just a little bit pregnant so you can not log it because you where close. You either find it or not. icon_razz.gif