Who is watching my cache's

ProStreet

The original reason I started watching caches was to see when someone took the item I left. But then I thought it was fun just to see how many people visited the ones I did and what their comments about it were. It actually would be helpful to put watches on caches I'm planning to do soon because a number of them have disappeared before I got to them. I do try to check on each before I go out but an automatic watch would help.

Someone in SE WI must be sitting around waiting for caches to pop up. When I entered the info for Gee, I'm a Tree! I deactivated it within ten minutes after it had been approved because I had to finish placing some of the tags.

Someone was already watching it.

After I activated it, I entered a note in the log asking whomever was watching it to drop me an email, only because I was curious as to who was looking at it, but they never responded.

I assume it was one of the first finders, but there's no way to know for sure. I suppose it really doesn't matter, though. It was just nice knowing that there was already interest in finding it.

BTW, I am on the watch list for your new one (I may be running home to get my swim trunks after work, assuming it's still not storming icon_rolleyes.gif ) but I wasn't the first...

icon_wigogeocaching.gif

Someone in SE WI must be sitting around waiting for caches to pop up. When I entered the info for Gee, I'm a Tree! I deactivated it within ten minutes after it had been approved because I had to finish placing some of the tags.

Someone was already watching it.

After I activated it, I entered a note in the log asking whomever was watching it to drop me an email, only because I was curious as to who was looking at it, but they never responded.

I assume it was one of the first finders, but there's no way to know for sure. I suppose it really doesn't matter, though. It was just nice knowing that there was already interest in finding it.

BTW, I am on the watch list for your new one (I may be running home to get my swim trunks after work, assuming it's still not storming icon_rolleyes.gif ) but I wasn't the first...

icon_wigogeocaching.gif

I like to watch all the caches I have visited and also caches I am planning to visit. The ones I have already visited are neat because I can picture what someone went through by reading the logs. Also, if I am planning to visit one, I like to read the logs of people who visit in case someone gives a better clue, or some advice about poison oak, or finds that the cache has been vandalized etc.

So far, I only have thirty finds, and am watching maybe ten more, so the email I get is not too much. I actually look forward to getting my email and doing my daily reading. It beats reading the spam I get. Maybe one day, I will watch too many to handle the incoming logs, but that day is not come yet.

Also, I don't personally have any problems with the cache owner knowing that it is me watching. I am not trying to hide anything. So, if a feature were added for the owner to 'watch' me, I wouldn't care.

That might actually be a neat idea, to watch cachers in addition to caches. You can already do it manually, by looking up the logs for a cacher by name, but putting cachers on watch lists might be interesting. Especially for the better story tellers out there.

Everywhere that cache is found,

Bound to Cover Just a Little More Ground.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

Yes, I think when you post a cache you are the first to watch it. When I posted all my cache's there was 1 watching. Shortly after there were 2 watching. I was just wondering who was interested in my cache. Man if you want people to watch your cache just post a question like this and stand back and watch the watchers line up. icon_wink.gif

Yes, I think when you post a cache you are the first to watch it. When I posted all my cache's there was 1 watching. Shortly after there were 2 watching. I was just wondering who was interested in my cache. Man if you want people to watch your cache just post a question like this and stand back and watch the watchers line up. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by M-D-M Explorations:

I am not sure since I have not hidden a cache yet, but might the first person "watching" the cache be the person who posted it by an automatic process?

That would explain how you got a watcher so quickly and why they did not reply back.

The cache owner automatically receives the same notice that a cache watcher gets (with a few minor differences), but it's not considered a "watch", and does not increase the watch count.

PS_sig.gif

I want to know who's watching my caches (and who's watching my bathroom window). "It's kind of a privacy thing." If you're truly obsessed with privacy we should blank out all user names - owners and loggers as well as watchers.

JEREMY - please add this to your to impliment list

quote:
Originally posted by gm100guy:

Who cares who is watching a cache. It does not make a difference to me.

Obviously the person who is asking for that option cares, or he wouldn't be asking. It sounds like a cool option to me, and if you didn't want to see who is watching your cache, don't look and your life goes on as always.

There are some things I'd like to see implemented as well, which wouldn't make any difference to anyone else if they didn't want it. Instead of embracing new ideas, there are always those who are vocal enough to try to suppress these ideas because they can't see a benefit to themselves.

What's funny is that some of these vocal "let's not change anything" types have wish lists of their own. I know you can't please everyone, but what harm would it do to try? If the question is being asked, then it must be important enough to that person, at the very least. Why would it bother you if he got what he wanted?

There are valid reasons why a cache owner might like to know who's watching and potentially have the ability to prevent certain people from watching them.

Last year in our area we had a self-appointed "geocache bandit" who was stealing our caches. For some reason, he decided to swipe all of my caches. He apparently added my caches to his watch list so he could return to steal them again once he received an email that a cache had been replaced. At the time I asked for this feature (has yet to be implemented, so don't hold your breath), but Jeremy was kind enough to tell me that this person was watching and removed him for me.

-

Most of the watchers will most like be past visitors. The watch list usually increases with each find. I watch all the caches I've found, except some virtuals, and enjoy reading the logs. When I read the log that's emailed to me, I try to compare notes of my experience at that location.

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

IF you put out a members only cache you can get a list of who is looking at your cache page including how many times they've looked and what times they've looked. It's a fun thing. Special privledges for members.

It should be on option for members whether it's a member's only cache or not. What's the point...to try to get everyone to post member's only caches?

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

Most of the watchers will most like be past visitors. The watch list usually increases with each find. I watch all the caches I've found, except some virtuals, and enjoy reading the logs. When I read the log that's emailed to me, I try to compare notes of my experience at that location.

Same here - my watch list consists of wher eI have been - mainly because I'm curiout to see who will choose to take the things I left there. By the way, just what IS the icon I used on this post? I don't recognize what it's supposed to be....

At least that's what I've seen them used for. As for watching caches, I like to watch the ones I've been to to see if anything interesting has happened. For example, I found one that was later thought to be a bomb. It was confiscated by the police, but not blown up. icon_frown.gif I also like to watch ones I'm getting ready to do in case they go missing or there is something else that I might need to know before looking for it.

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

At least that's what I've seen them used for. As for watching caches, I like to watch the ones I've been to to see if anything interesting has happened. For example, I found one that was later thought to be a bomb. It was confiscated by the police, but not blown up. icon_frown.gif I also like to watch ones I'm getting ready to do in case they go missing or there is something else that I might need to know before looking for it.

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Heavenly Host:

...Also, if I am planning to visit one, I like to read the logs of people who visit in case someone gives a better clue, or some advice about poison oak, or finds that the cache has been vandalized etc....

That's a Heavenly idea. Gonna do it. Thanks.

Also, like to watch a cache I've been to to make sure someone finds it after me. Kinda let's me of the hook in case it's subsequently vandalized. I don't have to feel like maybe I didn't re-hide it right.

Alan

I have used Cache Watching for several things:

1) I watch caches where my TBs are sitting;

2) I watch caches I couldn't find to see if they are MIA or I'm just in la-la land again; on a similar vein, if I notice a "prospective" cache hasn't been found in a while, or a no-find is logged, I watch to try to make sure it is there before I go hunting;

3) when planning a day or a weekend of it, I often "watch" all the ones we plan to hit so I can quickly open them up and get them logged after our return, then I remove them;

4) I put a watch on my hubby's caches so I'll see any logs generated, in case he is unable to address any issues that come up;

I'm sure others have lots of little gimmicks they use "watching" for.

Happy Trails!

Candy

Candy (moosiegirl)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

I email Jeremy about this a short time ago. I asked him if it would be possible to add a feature where I could see a list of people who were watching caches that I had placed.

Hi answer was he thought it was a feature worth implementing, and would get to it "asap".

TrimblesTrek

quote:
Originally posted by dinoprophet:

A related question: is there any need to add my own caches to my watch lists, or will I automatically receive any notices that a watcher would receive?

You automagically recieve notices for caches you placed. If you watch your own cache, you will receive two notices.

Don't ask me how I know this. icon_wink.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

quote:
Originally posted by dinoprophet:

A related question: is there any need to add my own caches to my watch lists, or will I automatically receive any notices that a watcher would receive?

You automagically recieve notices for caches you placed. If you watch your own cache, you will receive two notices.

Don't ask me how I know this. icon_wink.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

I recently had a cache of mine stolen by a fellow cacher. I would like to replace it, but I would really like to know if he is one of the seven people watching it. Why should I replace it if he is going to steal it again?

What difference does it make? Do you seriously think that person X won't steal your cache again, just because they're not on your watch list? There's absolutely NO additional security in knowing who is watching your cache. If you think there is, you're fooling yourself. It's a trivial matter to set up a bogus account just to watch caches, while you enter logs under a different account. And, of course, it's not at all necessary for a malicious person to place a watch on a cache in order to track it.

PS_sig.gif

quote:
Pro Street wrote:Watching my cache

Yes, I think when you post a cache you are the first to watch it. When I posted all my cache's there was 1 watching.

I don't think that is what happens. I noticed, after posting a cache, that no on was watching but it did show up on my list. After about two days is did show one person watching, so I think that they have to sign up.

I do agree, it sould be interesting (in passing) to know who is watching.

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

quote:
Pro Street wrote:Watching my cache

Yes, I think when you post a cache you are the first to watch it. When I posted all my cache's there was 1 watching.

I don't think that is what happens. I noticed, after posting a cache, that no on was watching but it did show up on my list. After about two days is did show one person watching, so I think that they have to sign up.

I do agree, it sould be interesting (in passing) to know who is watching.

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

Isn't it good enough to know that other geocachers are paying attention to your efforts, rather than being ignored? As a geocacher, I hope that others will take an interest in the caches I place. Knowing who takes an interest is of little consequence since I probably would not know them anyway. Performers go on stage without getting the names of the people in their audience. The number of seats filled by an audience is much like the number watching a cache. This tells me if I am doing something right.

Who is watching? I don't know. God love them for they are giving me a vote of confidence. The more that watch, the happier I am. Does that make me a geoexhibitionist?

Being new to the game, it might be interesting and fun to form small local groups that can maintain more direct contact with each other. For example I live very close to Nose Hill where there are at least three caches that I have found. I will soon be setting one or two myself. It would be interesting to form a 'local' group that could share info, issue challenges to each other etc. Knowing who is watching your cache might be a way to facillitate this.

We placed a cache on Sunday and it was found Thursday and had two watchers! ...and this in a large town that's not near a larger city. One find, two watchers, and pretty darn quick.

We have our own locally famous cachers, so I was wondering who might be watching the cache. But I don't want to make it a Member's Only cache just to see who they are.

Just a thought: can you edit the page to be a Member's Only cache, see who they are, and then change it back? What if the watchers aren't members? Will that bump them off?

Just wondering.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Just a thought: can you edit the page to be a Member's Only cache, see who they are, and then change it back? What if the watchers aren't members? Will that bump them off?

Just tried that on a cache with 2 watchers. It should a list of myself. Set it back and still had 2 watchers. Not sure what that means but I still don't know who is watching my cache!

Statistics show that those with the most birthdays live longest.

It does not show who is watching your cache, it shows an audit, in other words, while the cache is members only it will only show who looked at the page and when. Unfortunately it won't show you who looked at it when it was not members only. I'm pretty sure that's how it works, could be wrong though.

quote:
...There are some things I'd like to see implemented as well, which wouldn't make any difference to anyone else if they didn't want it. Instead of embracing new ideas, there are always those who are vocal enough to try to suppress these ideas because they can't see a benefit to themselves.

Ah ... I missed this back when it was "fresh," but now that the thread has popped up again ...

In most cases, I think it has hardly been a failing by opponents of a suggested change to "embrace new ideas;" nor are attempts made to "supress" those ideas. Rather, it's often the case that the person who suggests a change fails to recognize that their idea may inconvenience many more users than it would benefit.

In the case of "watch lists," I feel that if the cache owner is given the option of viewing who is on the watch list, those on the watch list should also be given the option of remaining anonymous. (I imagine the default would be usernames would be visible to the cache owner, and those desiring to remain anonymous would have to select that option.)

After all, the watch lists don't provide any information any user couldn't obtain simply by viewing the cache page.

quote:
Originally posted by gimli:

i don't agree.. dont think you should be able to stay anonymous for the cacheowner...

Yes, we know you think that, but you haven't stated what harm or inconvenience the anonymity of the cache watchers has caused, or may cause, cache owners.

Since the information is available anonymously through other channels, I don't understand the concern ... I don't think simple curiousity on the part of the cache owner is sufficient reason to invade the privacy of the cache watchers. (Who I believe, as others have stated, are for the most part people who have previously visited the cache or plan to in the immediate future ... or they read about a controversy surrounding a particular cache in the forums and wanted to keep abreast of the latest developments.)

I read in a post that someone thinks that any (subscribing) member should receive an audit trail of their caches ... I think that would prove a nightmare for anyone who has placed more than a few caches. I think most of us would be shocked at how many times our pages are viewed each day ... and few of those people will ever actually go seeking the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Since the information is available anonymously through other channels, I don't understand the concern ... I don't think simple curiousity on the part of the cache owner is sufficient reason to invade the privacy of the cache watchers. (Who I believe, as others have stated, are for the most part people who have previously visited the cache or plan to in the immediate future ... or they read about a controversy surrounding a particular cache in the forums and wanted to keep abreast of the latest developments.)

Exactly right. I have yet to see anyone post a good, valid reason for exposing watch list information, beyond a simple "But I want to know!"

3608_1400.gif

Some weeks ago, I suggested to Jeremy to add this feature to the Geocaching site.

Today, I found this topic... I just read all the posts and my opinion stays for it!

As I understand, Geocaching is a "sharing" game; We share spots we know with others, We share logs, We share experiences, We share thoughts, We share excitment, We share frustation... and We will share... if our friend Jeremy has time and patience for it.

I agree with the option for a "watcher" to opt not to share the fact that he's watching a cache.

Best regards for all.

MAntunes

Follows my suggestion and Jeremy's answers (well, read from bottom to top. I haven't ripped any part of the text nor its sequence)

-----Mensagem original-----

De: General Inquiries [mailto:contact@geocaching.com]

Enviada: quarta-feira, 4 de Dezembro de 2002 1:48

Para: manuelantunes@azevedos-sa.pt

Assunto: RE: [GEN-021108.5215] Suggestion about "watch lists"

I admit to considering it, but haven't done so yet.

Jeremy

-----Original Message-----

From: Manuel Antunes [mailto:manuelantunes@azevedos-sa.pt]

Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 7:46 AM

To: 'General Inquiries'

Subject: RE: [GEN-021108.5215] Suggestion about "watch lists"

Dear Jeremy,

Is there any feedback about this issue?

What I tryed to suggest, in November, 8, is exactly what You admit to

do; "We may add that feature for cache owners..." If You allready have

plans to apply that modif and just had no time to do it, please, forgive

me for disturbing You .

Best regards and thank You for the Geocaching site.

Manuel Antunes

(MAntunes in the site)

-----Mensagem original-----

De: General Inquiries [mailto:contact@geocaching.com]

Enviada: domingo, 10 de Novembro de 2002 5:50

Para: manuelantunes@azevedos-sa.pt

Assunto: RE: [GEN-021108.5215] Suggestion about "watch lists"

We have no plans to add that feature, since people enjoy watching caches

with privacy. We may add that feature for cache owners seeing who are

watching their own caches, however.

Jeremy

-----Original Message-----

From: Manuel Antunes [mailto:manuelantunes@azevedos-sa.pt]

Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 6:48 AM

To: contact@geocaching.com

Subject: [GEN-021108.5215] Suggestion about "watch lists"

Dear Administrators of Geocaching site.

Thank you for your work and the hours of enjoyment I've had with

Geocaching - That's why I decided to became a premium member.

My suggestion is the following:

Is it possible to make a change in the cache pages that will permit to

the cache creator to know who's watching a the cache, by clicking in the

phrase "n account(s) watching this cache." ? Best regards and keep doing

your good work,

(MAntunes)

mantunes@netc.pt

ENDQUOTE

Manuel Antunes