Ranger Rick Trails

First,

THANK YOU! My kids will love seeing these caches. Three just got published in our local park that we frequently cache in.

Second,

Why aren't they showing on the map? When reading the cache page, they show on the little map window...but when I click 'view larger map' they are gone.

The maps are changing over to a newer version. The Beta maps take a bit longer to get in synch with the database sometimes.

Wait....

What are Ranger Rick trails? Anything to do with the magazine? I grew up reading those!

Seems quite new (May 2011) and it looks like geocaching.com and nwf.org have teamed up :grin: . There are start up costs involved in "Hosting" a trail, but it is for a good cause :D . Here are the links:

Ranger Rick's Geocache Trails

The geocaching.com webpage about it

I liked the magazines (the old school ones, not the newer ones). I'm not sure a place around here would work for one, but I'll keep it in mind.

The NWF site moves waaaAAaay to fast for me.

I wanted to place a Ranger Rick cache but they were extremely expensive to buy. Also it seems like you can't make your own. So I was a little put off by that.

Ouch, looks like they aren't wanting average users to place these. It looks (at least to me) to be targeted to NPOs and the like.

Ya, a little pricey. I can go buy and stock 5 ammo cans for about the same price they're charging for what appears to be 3 small lock n lock type containers. Cool idea though.

... and you would get all of the benefits listed on the "Why Host?" page. I went there expecting to see that at least some of the money went to some charity or other good cause, but nope. I can "Be part of the community and get noticed". :lol:

Now, where is that Mainstream thread?

Ya, a little pricey. I can go buy and stock 5 ammo cans for about the same price they're charging for what appears to be 3 small lock n lock type containers. Cool idea though.

... and you would get all of the benefits listed on the "Why Host?" page. I went there expecting to see that at least some of the money went to some charity or other good cause, but nope. I can "Be part of the community and get noticed". :lol:

Now, where is that Mainstream thread?

(here I go, talking to myself again...)

Looks like it is sponsored by the National Wildlife Federation.

I did go look it up ... looks like there are extra activities along the trail for the kids to discover in each cache. I'd love to plant a set if I can get a local group to help front the cost ... so I'll be looking into that. I know a couple places where it could work and where I might know the right contact people. I too preferred the old magazines, but I still think the caches might be a great source of family-friendly and beginner caches for those of us who want to teach more kids/scouts/relatives to cache!

Now to go look up this Dinosaur Train thing that's been mentioned...

Edited by KristenSh
Now to go look up this Dinosaur Train thing that's been mentioned...
Here ya go!

Either one sounds like a cool way to get little kids to go out and do something, not just sit and watch more TV. I suspect Dinosaur Train will be more prolific than Ranger Rick Trails, based on the fact that RRT costs about $20 more per cache than DT caches (assuming $5 for the lock-n-lock, etc...) Of course, it sounds like RRT has a bit more structure to the program.

We hope to hit Nashville for the GPS Adventures Maze thingy soon, and there's a Dinosaur Train one right nearby ... we'll have to see how those look before we do one. These both look like fun ways to make kid-friendly ones, and I'm all for that!

Thanks for the heads-up on these!