Garmin eTrex Venture HC GPS Receiver

I'm fairly new to the geocaching world...I've found over 60 caches so far but I've only been using my Garmin nuvi 1300LMT so far. I was interested in getting something else that's more dedicated to geocaching and came across the Garmin eTrex Venture HC GPS Receiver, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or opinions on the device?

(And if anyone knows if this device would work with the Garmin Chirp Geocaching Wireless Beacon?)

Thanks for any help :)

I have one. The GPS quality is very good, usually gets down to 5-10 feet of the cache. It is very easy to use but I have two problems with it. One is that you cannot get paperless Geocaching data on it (descriptions, hints, logs, etc....) The second is that the redraw rate of the screen is very slow. This is not a big deal if you just stay on the compass screen but if you hike like me, having access to move around the maps screen is helpful. It works fine but is just slow.

Another downside (why I am on the subject) is that it only has 24MB of memory. This means there is not a lot of room for maps. I can get maybe 30 sq. miles from my house on it at once. For the most part this is plenty but considering many of the new units have expansion SD slots to add virtually unlimited amount of maps it is a downside to the Venture HC.

If I were buying today I would definitely go with the Dakota 10/20 models. You can get the 10 for right around the same price as the Venture HC now a days if you look around.

I have one. The GPS quality is very good, usually gets down to 5-10 feet of the cache. It is very easy to use but I have two problems with it. One is that you cannot get paperless Geocaching data on it (descriptions, hints, logs, etc....) The second is that the redraw rate of the screen is very slow. This is not a big deal if you just stay on the compass screen but if you hike like me, having access to move around the maps screen is helpful. It works fine but is just slow.

Another downside (why I am on the subject) is that it only has 24MB of memory. This means there is not a lot of room for maps. I can get maybe 30 sq. miles from my house on it at once. For the most part this is plenty but considering many of the new units have expansion SD slots to add virtually unlimited amount of maps it is a downside to the Venture HC.

If I were buying today I would definitely go with the Dakota 10/20 models. You can get the 10 for right around the same price as the Venture HC now a days if you look around.

Thanks so much :) I definitely want something that I can use for paperless caching.

Thanks so much :) I definitely want something that I can use for paperless caching.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=217321