'Suspicious device' in Evanston not explosive

The device was described as a small carbon dioxide container that was altered to make a device that looked like a pipe bomb,

Is it possible that this is a bison tube? I've always thought that a bison tube looks like the CO2 cartridge for the pellet gun I used when I was a kid.

The device was described as a small carbon dioxide container that was altered to make a device that looked like a pipe bomb,

Is it possible that this is a bison tube? I've always thought that a bison tube looks like the CO2 cartridge for the pellet gun I used when I was a kid.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Pretty small bomb, if you ask me. I was also puzzled by that "made to look like a pipe bomb" part.

As for marking your containers, if it was indeed one of the standard sized Bison tubes, it would be hard to mark. In addition, marking containers sure sucks when you are also tryinig to do good camouflaging!

The last log of the owner (my bolding):

"May 9 by sprocketta (563 found)

It was a camo-taped preform with a coat hook attached via the tape. This was hidden deep in a bush so I was shocked to hear a muggle found it. Sorry, don't have any pictures."

That really doesn't sound like too bad of a cache. I street viewed it. It's in a park, although a rather small one, and in view of some houses. It can happen anywhere, I suppose.

I know of a cache in my area (I am not going to give the cache or the area away I dont want to ruin the suprise) that is secured to the bottom of a light pole next to a busy railroad track that looks exactly like a pipe bomb thank god it is in a deserted area or it would have been blown up by now

I know of a cache in my area (I am not going to give the cache or the area away I dont want to ruin the suprise) that is secured to the bottom of a light pole next to a busy railroad track that looks exactly like a pipe bomb thank god it is in a deserted area or it would have been blown up by now

What exactly does a pipe bomb look like? I've never seen a cache that looked 'exactly' like this:

pipe-bomb.jpg

What exactly does a pipe bomb look like? I've never seen a cache that looked 'exactly' like this: pipe-bomb.jpg

That is actually exactly what it looked like minus the timer and wiring.

I've never seen a cache that looked 'exactly' like this: pipe-bomb.jpg
That is actually exactly what it looked like minus the timer and wiring.
Minus the timer and wiring? So it looked exactly like a section of pipe, and not very much at all like a pipe bomb.

If only it wasn't suspended on the pole going to nothing next to the most highly traveled commuter railroad in the country, it would look like a random section of pipe. I also failed to mention I live in the suburbs of NYC where seeing police in full body armour standing on train platforms with M4 rifles has become a regular thing to us and they run ads on TV and radio saying if something looks strange contact the police.

Regardless of how deserted the area is, this is the type of cache that needs to get archived, period. When found by a member of the population at large, it will generate a response from the police, and give geocaching anther black eye.

I found this dog toy online, and I will make a cache from it:

41yGhaQykDL._AA300_.jpg

I'm thinking of something with a Rocky/Bullwinkle/Boris theme. I just have to figure out a place to put it where it won't get blowed up by the bomb squad.

Boy, if I ever see those in a local pet store, I am soooo calling the police!! :lol:

I also failed to mention I live in the suburbs of NYC where seeing police in full body armour standing on train platforms with M4 rifles has become a regular thing to us and they run ads on TV and radio saying if something looks strange contact the police.

Now, that would look strange to me.

Regardless of how deserted the area is, this is the type of cache that needs to get archived, period. When found by a member of the population at large, it will generate a response from the police, and give geocaching anther black eye.

How bout a fake bomb cache underwater in the middle of the pacific ocean?? I bet within a few decades a dog walker will discover it and report it to the police once personal jet boards have been invented. :laughing:

Edited by sword fern