Why is GC.com slower than a dead turtle ?

Not sure what is going on ... but the new site is not running better, it is crawling possibly backward this morning ...

It is taking minutes to load web pages ... what's up ???

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this ... is so frustrating to be online before 99.9% of the US is out of bed and have to wait until they all get up to get a page to load ...

You mean the site is running

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

and it doesn't matter where you had posted this thread, it will get moved to some part of the forum where it will be forgotton

I thought the biggest reason for the downtime of the site onthe 4th, and the redesign was to speed things up - THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN

I thought the new map was supposed to be better, IT ISN'T, doesent even work for me this morning. Oh the map opens, but no icons show up. If I open close the map side bar control panel, icons may show up, but then you can't pick on them, or even see a roll over name

I give the new site a big F-

Not sure what is going on ... but the new site is not running better, it is crawling possibly backward this morning ...

It is taking minutes to load web pages ... what's up ???

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this ... is so frustrating to be online before 99.9% of the US is out of bed and have to wait until they all get up to get a page to load ...

its snappy for me at 3am (USA)

A number of the hamsters powering the system are mothers. As most people know, Mother's Day was yesterday and they just partied too hard - they really can't handle the mimosas they got at brunch, so hopefully they will recover with a few cups of strong coffee by this afternoon.

I'll take the minority position...

The upgrade was necessary. The database they were using was not appropriate to the task at hand. With the plans to role out new features that would hit the database hard, they made the hard choice to switch to a database technology more suited to task. They also significantly boosted their processing power as well.

They are currently working through some bugs and when everything is running smoothly the site "flies". I know some techie lackeys are putting in a lot of extra hours right now.

Please be patient, I suspect you'll see things steadily improve over the next couple of weeks. The slowness isn't a permanent condition.

You mean the site is running

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

and it doesn't matter where you had posted this thread, it will get moved to some part of the forum where it will be forgotton

I thought the biggest reason for the downtime of the site onthe 4th, and the redesign was to speed things up - THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN

I thought the new map was supposed to be better, IT ISN'T, doesent even work for me this morning. Oh the map opens, but no icons show up. If I open close the map side bar control panel, icons may show up, but then you can't pick on them, or even see a roll over name

I give the new site a big F-

In my case I find myself stumbling around the new site, backing in and out of pages to find stuff that I used to find intuitively ... multiply that manyfold for all of us stumblers and I feel that might account for the slooooowwwwness.

An unintended consequence of site alteration??

It is much quicker at ( O-dark Thirty on the west coast of the U.S.A. )

Are you by any chance using firefox 4.0?

Yeah I think the reason a lot of people are complaining about site changes are because they are using an archaic browser... or IE, which seems to always be the last kid on the block to figure new web stuff out. Map bubbles work great for me on Chrome 11. The site runs snappy (usually) and I'm just not finding some of the things I've heard are busted.

That's just me though :rolleyes:

Works perfectly fine for me - I'm using IE9.

I'm using IE8 and the site generally is working fine. It's slow sometimes, but I expect that when changes are being made to a site.

As for the new map, I love it. I can see caches even when I zoom out, and the icons are smaller, so they don't all just pile on top of each other. The new map runs much faster than the old one, whether the server is running fast or slow. It also has that nice feature where if you click on an icon that's close to another icon, it pops up a window that gives you links for both of them.

The only real problem I've had with the new site layout is that I can't find an easy link that takes you right from the home page to the map. I have to find a cache page and use the Google Map link. I'm probably just missing it. Anyone else found it?

Are you by any chance using firefox 4.0?

Yeah I think the reason a lot of people are complaining about site changes are because they are using an archaic browser... or IE, which seems to always be the last kid on the block to figure new web stuff out. Map bubbles work great for me on Chrome 11. The site runs snappy (usually) and I'm just not finding some of the things I've heard are busted.

That's just me though :rolleyes:

Works perfectly fine for me - I'm using IE9.

Ok I'll admit, IE9 is decent

IE9 is pretty good. Firefox 4.0 on the other hand, is horrible. It was unbearably slow with add-ons for me. FF4.0 came out around the same time as the update. If you are using firefox 4.0 and find it slow, I recommend downloading Mozilla's Aurora browser (basically an early version of Firefox 5.0). It's lightening fast for me on this site.

I do not know what's with Groundspeak not being able to come up with a good site and make those #$%$#@$%@#$ maps work!!!!!!!!!

It's quite upsetting. I know I am not the only one feeling like this. Those maps are now the worst ever, the site is slower than ever before! If they cannot make changes that work, well bring back the oldies, at least we had a site/map that was working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!