Landowner's/Business Owner's Permission

RhinoInAToga

We have a few hides that are ready to go. We have walked into a few businesses & gotten the names & numbers of the owners. That's as far as it has gotten, however, because I realized we will have to call these people & explain to them that we have never met, but we would like to hide this container on their property that others have to come find.

What do some of you say to business/land owners when asking for permission? (Ya'll DO ask for permission, right? ;) )

Mention the business it'll bring their way. Whenever I'm hitting up cache's and stop and purchase something in the area, I always mention what brought me there. I'm surprised more store owners haven't hopped on the band wagon.

Land owners are another story. Always be honest. Helps if you know them. Helps even more if you are them. :rolleyes:

The Furrball Mom just put one out on private property. Not on or in any building, but way out just on the edge of the property line. She just walked in and asked to talk to the manager, explained geocaching, showed her the container, showed her where we wanted to put it, etc. The manager said she had no problem and would inform the owner when he got in later that day. We followed up on it Saturday morning, got the green light, and out it went. Put our obligatory "cache placed with permission" statement on the page (making sure there was no commercial or agenda content) and submitted it with a reviewer note with the contact info. It was published later that day.

She did all the verbal work, so I don't remember the exact words. All I did was prepare the container. But in my opinion, face to face works best instead of a phone call. Try to thoroughly explain the game so they have an absolute, clear idea of what to expect. And, be prepared for them to say no. And that's OK if they do. Just find another spot. :)

Thanks dadof6furballs. I guess the owner never being at the actual business is a disadvantage for one of my cache placement ideas. They did give me his card to call him- but I would imagine it would be difficult to get a face-to-face meeting with him..maybe I should hunt for a different spot. Although, the theme of that cache would have been cool.