Geocaching at Disney World

Hey all!

I'm heading to Disney World at the end of May and will be staying on property (at a Disney hotel). What this means is that not only will I be seeing The Mouse, but that I'll be able to cache in another state. Question is that as I'm staying on property I will not have a car, therefore I have a lack of transportation and need help with how to get to any of these caches. I've looked around the WDW property and have found a few caches, but none stick out to me as being easy to get to, virtuals not included. Has anyone Geocached while at WDW, vacationing or working, and if so do you have any hints?

NOTE: I'm not looking for a ride around WDW, just help on the best ways to reach these caches and any experiences you've had while geocaching at WDW.

No wheels while staying at WDW does make caching hard. Even having wheels makes it hard…after a full day in the park, I didn’t feel like driving around.

I stuck to the virtual’s in the parks (Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Hollywood & Animal Kingdom.) They were easy to get to and easy to do. Save the map from EPCOT, it will help answering the questions. I especially liked That's Some Water, Eh? GC9F98 virtual in EPCOT. It was one of those places you would have never known existed but found it while Geocaching.

Check the lynx bus routes at golynx.com. You can get a day bus pass for $4.50. Most of the buses now have bike racks on the front, so if you bring/rent a bike, you can access areas the buses don't go.

If you don't plan on leaving WDW property, you can get free transportation through the WDW bus system. Every hotel there has bus stops that will take you to the theme parks and water parks, also to Downtown Disney and Pleasure Island. From there, you can hop onto a bus to take you to another resort. AFAIK, there are only two physical caches within WDW property. They are actually on Reedy Creek Emergency Services property, so that's how the CO is able to get around the WDW caching ban.

http://coord.info/GC2KCP2 is located close to the boardwalk hotel

http://coord.info/GC2V6Y7 is close to the east bus stop at Downtown Disney

However, both will probably require a 3/4 to 1 mile hike from the nearest bus stop.

Been to WDW about 5 times now. I've never really had the urge to go off-property. The virtuals are easy enough that you don't even need a gps. One less thing to carry around the parks.

Now, understanding how fastpass works and what's some of the not-to-miss shows is worth learning about.

While on site, look out for the 'Hidden Mickey's.'

Will get you 'looking' and may help with the caching!

This is goinf to be my 19th time going! If anything I'm looking for one I've yet to find. Last trip I stayed at the Pop Century on property and found quite a few HM's in there tiling all across the hotel. My favorites have to be those on the Maelstrom at Epcot, especially those found in the ride queue.

Been to WDW about 5 times now. I've never really had the urge to go off-property. The virtuals are easy enough that you don't even need a gps. One less thing to carry around the parks.

Now, understanding how fastpass works and what's some of the not-to-miss shows is worth learning about.

I'm so excited about the virtuals! They'll be my first ever, adding one more type to my found list. As far as shows go, I've taken 2 years from visiting WDW and am pleased to see new shows AND new construction. The Phineas and Ferb show looks promising.

While on site, look out for the 'Hidden Mickey's.'

Will get you 'looking' and may help with the caching!

Hidden Mickeys are a fun Geocaching alternative at WDW. There is an iPhone app we use that helps you find them. It's fun, although I'm not impressed with some of them. Much like caching, in the early days of the hidden mickey craze every one was pretty cool. As people got into it and started helping to report new hidden mickeys quality went down. Now there are "hidden mickeys" for the mickey shaped stuff on merchandise displays and things like that. I don't consider those hidden - they are intended to be there to reinforce the brand. It's not some fun easter egg left for you to find by an imagineer.