GPX Format Status

Jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

quote:
Originally posted by Marty Fouts:

Of course, my favorite mapping program doesn't understand XML, and I want to be able to extract subsets of Pocket Query response files to put on my minimum-memory PDA.

And, of course, it's nice to have the data on the PDA in a format that's a little petter compressed than an XML file.

There are a couple of options:

1st. Write a style sheet to create an HTML or csv file for what you want out of the data.

2nd. I'm sure someone pretty soon will fill the space. I've seen a couple of Geocaching apps for the palm recently that seem to have potential if GPX format is supported.

As for a subset, this should be done at the query level, but again, if you want to parse the XML then go for it!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

1 doesn't solve subsetting.

2 is what i'm working on.

and no, subsetting shouldn't be done at the query level. not unless queries are responded to instantly, which they aren't.

quote:

and no, subsetting shouldn't be done at the query level. not unless queries are responded to instantly, which they aren't.

My point is, if you use the upcoming gpx file just to get the cache id and then go to pathetique via plucker, you are comitting and act of sheer madness!! icon_wink.gif The data is all there inside the GPX.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:

My point is, if you use the upcoming gpx file just to get the cache id and then go to pathetique via plucker, you are comitting and act of sheer madness!! icon_wink.gif The data is all there inside the GPX.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:

quote:

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

um yeah, that would be madness. it's also not what i plan to do.

i don't know if the final format should be a plucker db or not, but my plan is to have my own ap on the pc do the sorting/subsetting/reformatting and then have a palm/os conduit move the data to the visor. i don't know which reader i want to use on the visor yet, so i haven't figured out what the final output will be.

quote:

quote:

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

um yeah, that would be madness. it's also not what i plan to do.

i don't know if the final format should be a plucker db or not, but my plan is to have my own ap on the pc do the sorting/subsetting/reformatting and then have a palm/os conduit move the data to the visor. i don't know which reader i want to use on the visor yet, so i haven't figured out what the final output will be.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

For those who are anxiously awaiting the new GPX format, I wanted to give you a head's up and an example file of the GPX format with the extended Groundspeak:cache namespace.

You can find the example http://www.geocaching.com/media/example.gpx. I don't plan on changing the elements that exist

I may be overlooking this in the sample file, but how can I tell when a cache was placed? I don't see it as either the creation time/date of the wpt (which wouldn't be entirely contrived) or in the Groundspeak namespace. Is it there?

quote:

Do you know if any of the palm browsers support stylesheets?

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Wow. I didn't know the date was missing. I'll fix that. It will be the date of the waypoint. So I don't duplicate entries, I'll leave the date placed out of the Groundspeak namespace (at least where the GPX file is concerned)

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Wow. I didn't know the date was missing. I'll fix that. It will be the date of the waypoint. So I don't duplicate entries, I'll leave the date placed out of the Groundspeak namespace (at least where the GPX file is concerned)

Thank you, Sir. I agree that making it the of the waypoint is the most appropriate choice and will re-pull your example to be sure my code handles it.

Additionally, with the "found at" coordinates be available in the Groundspeak:log space? Since some cachers use that field for the "your coords stink, I found the thing HERE" entries, I'd like to see them. It could also be neat for locationless caches (assuming full logs were an option) to place the finds on a map and so on. Maybe you have this in your data set and the example ten you chose just doesn't have such a log...

quote:
Additionally, with the "found at" coordinates be available in the Groundspeak:log space? Since some cachers use that field for the "your coords stink, I found the thing HERE" entries, I'd like to see them. It could also be neat for locationless caches (assuming full logs were an option) to place the finds on a map and so on. Maybe you have this in your data set and the example ten you chose just doesn't have such a log...

Speaking of which, it would be really cool if there was a link to download a GPX file of all these logged locations in the same manner there is a link to download the .loc file for the cache right now.

Another neat thing would be if the cache page would display a running average of these coordinates (obviously the cache owner would then need away to delete or otherwise exclude wacky coordinates)

Perhaps this could just be added to the "download nearby places" portion of the page.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:
Originally posted by Crusso:

Help.... Not A programmer..... Read thread..... Feel like I'm drowning...... What does this do? How does it work. I hope Jeremy puts a basic "how to" primer on the site for us users who can just barely use a PDA & EasyGPS.

Right now this GPX discussion is all "in progress" stuff... nothing that most end users want or need to see. The current pocket query stuff is a good compromise for now, so go check it out. It's usable on your PC too!

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

I wonder if WarmFuzzies is willing to share his secret for tearing the books apart in the first place? (for personal use, of course)...

Fuzzy, if you please. Warm Fuzzies is my team name. I've already shared as much of my secret as I feel comfortable with. Unfortunately, MobiPocket has caught on to the message in question, so it's gone. The crypto key you need is no longer available anywhere public, and there's no way I'm going to post it.

warm.gif

Yeah! This looks just like what the doctor ordered!

I'll be getting a palm only because of caching. The Mobipocket thing is a little disappointing and clunky if you ask me. A database--"geocaching.com in my hand"--with the ability to find nearest caches, etc. would be the world of difference.

(could start selling palms and visors on the home page, too.) icon_wink.gif

My two cents.

CR

-- Insert pithy aphorism here --

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

C'mon, Jeremy... how's it coming?

I think the very fact that Jeremy's still around and not acknowleding this thread means one of three things:

He's too busy putting the finishing touches on it so we can have it by the weekend.

He's too busy holding the screen-scrapers at bay at the firewall.

He never made it out of XML boot camp. icon_wink.gif

We can always hope for #1, but it's looking quite dismal at this point. Maybe harassing Elias? Maybe start a new thread named something like "Help -- Cannot read cache pages!" and state simply in that thread "on my palm with mobi. It sucks big salty rocks. Any updates on GPX?" icon_smile.gif

**DISCLAIMER** - I have an EVIL sense of humor. None of the above is meant to hack-off or discredit anyone in any way, shape, of form. Please read with a icon_smile.gif on your face. I do understand what these guys are going through and appreciate all their hard work.

P.S. Bump.