What happened to the POLL section?

Sissy-n-CR

I was testing the waters with a pure letter box and it was denied, so I was going to put it up for a vote. But that section is now gone!

I'm gonna post the link to the cache, don't know if you'll be able to see it are not, but it's HERE.

I'm gonna log out and see if the link will work...

CR

72057_2000.gif

Oh, well.

The listed coordinates were for the County Court House, there was a description of the cache, and this clue:

My home is in a great circle to the north.

It can be approached from all four cardinal directions,

and all four of the lesser directions as well.

These can be seen easily by a soaring eagle.

You must enter the circle from the south.

Immediately ponder what guards the path,

they are twins, but not identical.

You must make the right choice, for it is my home.

I did have a couple of [nudges], a [hint] and a

pretty much telling people where the cache is.

It was denied. They want the cache listed with actual coordinates. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using clues?

Got any ideas on how to approach the approver with a way to get this approved without ruining the concept?

(I got time as my GPSr is in the shop. icon_mad.gif )

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

It was denied. They want the cache listed with actual coordinates. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using clues?

So, they won't let you make this an offset, or multicache? icon_confused.gif I mean you would have to use virtual legs, unless you can hide a micro somwhere nearby to direct seekers.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

But if you gave coordinates for the courthouse area, why are they complaining? This is an obvious multi step that is not different from many other puzzle multisteps except you don't need the GPS to find the final location. I'm working on solving one right now that is more complex but doesn't seem to require constant GPS use. Just the ability to follow obtuse directions. Yours are much easier. I think this one should be voted on. Make it a ? cache if it it the letterbox that is making it unapproved.

-Jennifer

Where am I going? I ain't certain.

When will I get there? I don't know.

All as I know is I am on my way!

This is not one that I "disapproved" but I am somewhat familiar with it. As I understand it the cache owner's GPS is in the shop, so the starting coords are those of a courthouse. This is something that can be found without a GPS, and even without a road map. From there the cache hunt was pure letterboxing - coords and distance clues to the cache.

The cache category is "Letterbox Hybrid", which by definition requires a GPS. It was submitted as a pure letterbox, which is really beyond the scope of this web site.

As I recall, the suggestion was made to resubmit this cache once the GPS was fixed and using a starting point that could only be found with a GPS.

Hope that helps in explaining why the cache was not enthusiastically approved and posted.

erik - geocaching.com admin.

That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Back to your question...

As I recall, the category you refer to was only to be used by the admins. If cachers wanted to get the opinion of the populace, they could (and still can) post a poll in the general category by hitting the 'post a poll' button at the top of the page.

I assume that the other category died from disuse. I think the last thread was from Eric back in October regarding lame caches of some sort.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

quote:
Originally posted by ~erik~:

As I recall, the suggestion was made to resubmit this cache once the GPS was fixed and using a starting point that could only be found with a GPS.

Oh, okay... icon_wink.gif So all I got to do is borrow a boat and hang a tag with the real coordinates off a tree in the middle of the lake icon_eek.gif and make it an offset LB.

...or they can follow the clues. icon_biggrin.gif

Will that work? icon_smile_evil.gif

CR

72057_2000.gif