New Geocacher

Hi there,

I am interested in purchasing a GPS system and am utterly confused by all of the options. I currently use my iphone and I love how simple and easy to use it is. However, the batteries don't last long enough. I'd like to buy a "real" GPS and would love some advice.

A little about me...

I gecocahe with a little one...so we don't do anything too wild. Mostly 1 or 2 level gecocaches.

I am directionally and technology challenged. I basically need something idiot proof, which the iphone app is!

Any advice?

Oh for petes sake, I posted in the wrong place....told you, I need idiot proof.

Hi there,

I am interested in purchasing a GPS system and am utterly confused by all of the options. I currently use my iphone and I love how simple and easy to use it is. However, the batteries don't last long enough. I'd like to buy a "real" GPS and would love some advice.

A little about me...

I gecocahe with a little one...so we don't do anything too wild. Mostly 1 or 2 level gecocaches.

I am directionally and technology challenged. I basically need something idiot proof, which the iphone app is!

Any advice?

Whichever GPS unit you go with, it probably won't be as easy or intuitive as the iPhone app (at least that's what I found). I started with the app as well and then bought a Garmin ETrex Legend after I had been caching for awhile. There's a little bit of a learning curve with it, much more so than using the iPhone app. Not too hard to learn how to just manually input coordinates, but messing with Pocket Queries and downloading them to the unit takes a little practice.

I would highly recommend you select a GPS that connects to your computer via USB. I think the very lowest end units won't...you'll either need to input the coordinates by hand, or you may have to purchase an additional serial port cable, which will run you extra money (the USB versions generally have the cable included). I saw on the other thread you are shopping for a GeoMate Jr....you might want to up the stakes just a tad and go with one of the Garmin E Trex line...a little bit more money but much more versatile.

I haven't tried it, but I have heard good things about the Magellan GC Explorist for newbies. It's primarily designed for geocaching and from some of the comments on the forums it seems to make it pretty easy for those just starting out.

Thank you so much. I had no idea that lower end models would require something other than a regular USB. I will definately consider that when I purchase.

I was/am looking for a geomate, for my 6 year old. I cringe watching him run with my iphone.

Thank you very much for your advise, it was very useful.

Whichever GPS unit you go with, it probably won't be as easy or intuitive as the iPhone app (at least that's what I found). I started with the app as well and then bought a Garmin ETrex Legend after I had been caching for awhile. There's a little bit of a learning curve with it, much more so than using the iPhone app. Not too hard to learn how to just manually input coordinates, but messing with Pocket Queries and downloading them to the unit takes a little practice.

I would highly recommend you select a GPS that connects to your computer via USB. I think the very lowest end units won't...you'll either need to input the coordinates by hand, or you may have to purchase an additional serial port cable, which will run you extra money (the USB versions generally have the cable included). I saw on the other thread you are shopping for a GeoMate Jr....you might want to up the stakes just a tad and go with one of the Garmin E Trex line...a little bit more money but much more versatile.

I haven't tried it, but I have heard good things about the Magellan GC Explorist for newbies. It's primarily designed for geocaching and from some of the comments on the forums it seems to make it pretty easy for those just starting out.