Currently caching with iPhone 3g, need a change

I have been caching with the iPhone 3g's Geocaching app, and I'm getting entirely too frustrated with the maps portion of the application. I can be standing perfectly still, at what it tells me is GZ, and without moving it will jump 5, 10, 50 feet away. It's getting increasingly difficult to even get to a reliable area to begin my search.

I will not be keeping my iPhone as a phone (I plan on keeping it and using it as an iPod Touch). I will be getting something entirely different (most likely an Android phone); the iPhone (whether 3g or newer) is just not for me. I know that there are Geocaching apps for pretty much all the smart phones now, but I would prefer to have a GPS with a one-stop-shop.

Now, with that said, I'm not rolling in the dough. I will most likely be buying something second-hand, and I'm not opposed to running the Geocaching app on my iPhone (well, future iPod Touch) when I have a wifi connection and saving all of the caches I plan on getting out to find. Later, I will probably be investing in a better GPS because I am a Geo-addict, so even if I do get a "cheap-o" for now, I can sell it or keep it as a back-up. Or give it away to a newb-in-need.

My question is: what are my best options? The top three choices would be......?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you are going to be moving away from iPhone 3 to something else, I'd recommend a newer smartphone (iPhone 4 or Android) as you get the best of both worlds (phone / GPS).

Personally I'm not an iPhone fan but the 4 is a good device that is easy to use and has a better GPS. Android handsets are infinitely more customisable but can be daunting if you are not familiar with them....as you can configure them they way you want, no two handsets are the same. There are good apps with the official app being available on both platforms but there are more options for others apps on Android. Again, a lot will come down to how you will use the phone when caching (planned day out, unplanned when you have some time in a location, etc)

If you do buy a new smartphone, will it be a SIM free purchase or as part of a carrier deal ? Which carrier / country ?

I attach a GPS receiver to my Ipod Touch, which is available also for Iphones. It is the Dual XGPS251 Craddle (this is the model that attach to ipod touch, whatever generation). The model for Iphones is another code. Works perfectly well, additionaly allowing me to use my ipod as a turn-by-turn GPS using the Tom-Tom application, available in the Apple Store (there are other cheaper turnbyturn apps but I never tryed them). The Craddle both allow me to geocache and to use it in my car. I bought mine from Amazon.com.

There are many options for a budget GPS:

Explorist GC ($100 or so)

Bushnell Onix 350 ($70-$80 for a nice GPS)

If you get an Android phone, most of the newer models have good GPS setups and are pretty accurate. Get the one with the best processor that you can afford. Better processor=better GPS accuracy and functionality.

I currently own:

Android (LG Optimus V) A slower processor, but works pretty well most of the time.

Explorist 210: Picked it up for $20 on Ebay, pretty accurate, bare bones sort of GPS

Bushnell Onix 350: Not the most intuitive GPS, but very accurate and has a lot of good features for the price.

And why you are at it getting a case get one that has an extended battery built in. My only complaint about the iPhone 4 for Geocaching is the GPS sucks the life out of the phone. I usually get 4-5 hours on a full charge when caching. I bought a mophie juice pack air for mine. It is both a case and extended battery. It costs around $75 but over doubles the iPhones built in battery.