Suggestion: Verification Link

Swagger

I have a suggestion to make managing finds on a cache a little easier for the cache owner.

Theoretically, cache owners are supposed to periodically replace log books and verify the signatures against the online logs, to make sure that people aren't logging caches they haven't actually visited.

I propose a link on each log entry that cache owners could click to verify that the cacher had indeed found the cache. This would be particularly useful for virtuals.

On the backend, it shouldn't be that difficult to implement, and the space used in the database would be minimal - a single byte INT which would default to 0 and get set to 1 when the log is verified.

Does anyone else think that this would be useful, or am I just wacky? (I've been known to have wacky ideas in the past...)

--

Random quote:

sigimage.php

quote:
Theoretically, cache owners are supposed to periodically replace log books and verify the signatures against the online logs, to make sure that people aren't logging caches they haven't actually visited.

I guess I missed that part somewhere.

Myself, I am not all that worred about it but I am pretty sure I can detect most of the bogus claims. Then again, I would have to really let it bother me. I have a problem with to much info posted in the answer, which tells me when someone has really been there.

After all, who does it bother if people have such low integrity and personal honor that they would want to cheat at this game?

logscaler.

quote:
Originally posted by Cruzin!:

I didn't know cache owners were suppose to verify log books against on-line logs. I never have. I've never been worried about fraudulent on-line logs for my caches. Is this a west coast problem? icon_smile.gif

Even if I wanted to verify finds as suggested, I wouldn't be able to do so for my first cache which was stolen.

Rhode Island Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by FISUR:

I didn't know cache owners were suppose to verify log books against on-line logs. I never have. I've never been worried about fraudulent on-line logs for my caches. Is this a west coast problem?

I'm sure there are some physical cache owners who do this, but it probably falls in the 1% catagory. I don't know where Cruzin! got the idea that it's a normal part of cache ownership.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."