Is my Iphone app enough?

Lizzie0420

I have two iphone geocaching applications, the free one and one I paid $10 as I use it very often. I feel that at times it is not very accurate and am wondering if there I should get an actual GPS or if the iphone app I have is reliable. I am not sure when it comes to finding caches with waypoints if the iphone is the best to use. I would appreciate if a more experienced geocacher would offer some advice!

Many cachers start with smart phones but eventually get a hand held GPS. The long battery life, durability, water resistance and increased accuracy are among the reasons they do.

On the other hand, many serious geocachers augment their handheld GPS with smart phones. They are great for spur of the moment caching, particularly in areas where there is a good cell phone signal. But because using the GPS kills the phone batteries, there may not be a signal in many places they hunt caches and they are reluctant to expose their phone to the sort of abuse the device receives while geocaching, they prefer a hand held GPS for most geocaching.

Many cachers start with smart phones but eventually get a hand held GPS. The long battery life, durability, water resistance and increased accuracy are among the reasons they do.

On the other hand, many serious geocachers augment their handheld GPS with smart phones. They are great for spur of the moment caching, particularly in areas where there is a good cell phone signal. But because using the GPS kills the phone batteries, there may not be a signal in many places they hunt caches and they are reluctant to expose their phone to the sort of abuse the device receives while geocaching, they prefer a hand held GPS for most geocaching.

What he said.

Also, regarding the accuracy, it depends on which version of the iPhone you are using. I have an iPhone 4 and I find it plenty accurate. At least as accurate as my Garmin handheld. I understand some of the older versions are not quite as accurate. Both the 3GS and the 4 have an actual GPS chip, the older ones do not My son has the older 3 which does not have the GPS chip and he tried caching with and says its accuracy is terrible.

Many people like caching with their iPhones so it really depends on whether you find that you want something more. I use my iPhone to complement my handheld, but for some the iPhone is enough.

The Groundspeak app is great for caching on the fly, logging in a cache or two, looking at a satellite view, or doing an urban cache when it is easier to carry my phone rather than a separate gpsr. I use another app, geosphere, because of the way it enhances my premium membership with its ability to filter, map, and display cache listings.

On the other hand, I would not go out on a long hike or caching trip without my handheld, particularly if I am headed out of network range. And I would not do either without being a premium member.

I have never had a DNF with the iPhone - perhaps because of the kind of caches that I seek with it - so the 3gs has been accurate enough for me. I have met people on the trail looking at their iPhone, heading in the opposite direction, 400 feet from the cache, but when we reached the cache location they were within 20 feet of the cache. Although the iPhone 3g does have a gps chip, its accuracy is not as good. The 4 is said to be better.

There are external battery packs for the iPhone, even a "toughcase" that makes it waterproof and has another gps chip (a firmware update may have resolved problems with it) but by the time you get into those solutions you might as well get a high sensitivity handheld.

Edited by mulvaney

If you are really going to get serious about geocaching, get the pro gear. Garmin and Delorme are popular. I use a Garmin Nuvi..car GPSr to get me there. Your smartphone might do the the job here, but my NUVI will just about take you from site to site [think 3-4 caches an hour..more if you can find them faster].

Edited by alohabra

The iPhone is plenty good enough to get you started. Its how I got started and worked fine. The issue I had with it is that the first time we went on couple nature trails there was only enough battery power to find a couple caches. Then the battery would be around 30% or lower and I didn't want to risk having no power in the phone to make an emergency call should I have to. The second issue is on that same trail as I bent down to investigate an area the phone slipped out of my pocket. I caught it but it made me realize that the iPhone is a pretty fragile device. Id rather have a couple hundred dollar GPSr hitting the ground than my couple hundred dollar iPhone as I know the GPSr will survive it and the phone probably wont.

So basically in my short experience the iPhone is great to get you into it. But I think it works best as a complimentary option to your GPSr. It allows you to quickly check a sat map or a newly popped cache and then most of the time be safely in your pack while you hunt with your GPSr. I would recommend a Explorist GC. Its a great device to get as your first one without sinking to much cash into it. We got ours 3 weeks ago at Target on sale for $75. I dont think you'll find a better device for that low a price. Youll also want a membership on the site as it works best with pocket queries.

If you are really going to get serious about geocaching, get the pro gear. Garmin and Delorme are popular. I use a Garmin Nuvi..car GPSr to get me there. Your smartphone might do the the job here, but my NUVI will just about take you from site to site [think 3-4 caches an hour..more if you can find them faster].

Of course my iPhone also gives me voice directions from cache to cache. Navigon, for instance, integrates with geosphere, which offers great mapping and paperless information - which is one reason why it complements my handheld (which gives directions without voice guidance) so well.

I have two iphone geocaching applications, the free one and one I paid $10 as I use it very often. I feel that at times it is not very accurate and am wondering if there I should get an actual GPS or if the iphone app I have is reliable. I am not sure when it comes to finding caches with waypoints if the iphone is the best to use. I would appreciate if a more experienced geocacher would offer some advice!

If you're referring to both of your apps being the official Geocaching apps (free & full) then there's no need to keep the free version. It's just taking up space on your phone. That's the one I started with, but as soon as I bought the full version, I removed the free.

Which iPhone do you have? I have the iPhone 4 and cache strictly with that (don't have a GPSr). As with any device, there are pros & cons. I think smartphone cachers tend to get a bad rap in these forums, but don't let that make you think you have to rush out & get new equipment. I do perfectly fine using my phone. I have read from other iPhone users that the older models may not be as accurate. I consider my 4 to be pretty darn accurate & it normally gets me very close. On a bad day I'd say it still gets me within 20 feet. The biggest disadvantage I've found with it is that it's not the most accurate device when caching in heavily wooded areas, especially when there's thick canopy overhead. But it is manageable.

I disagree with the person who talked about needing a GPSr to be a "serious cacher." Define seriouscacher. Are you worried about how fast you're finding them, the travel time between each cache, how many you find in an hour or day? None of that necessarily makes you a serious cacher, in my opinion. My family & I have only been caching for about 8 months now. There are days when we grab 1 or 2 and there are times when we cache all day long and hike long distances. Are we not "serious cachers" because I use an iPhone? I think that's a relative term.

There's always the issue of cell signal when caching with a phone. But if you plan ahead and save caches & maps to your favorites in the app, you won't always need cellular signal. Battery can be a problem. I charge mine as much as I can between caches, if possible. Using the app & GPS for long periods of time definitely uses up battery life, but as I said, we've cached all day and I've never drained the battery completely. If I knew we were going to be hiking for a while, I just made sure it had a full charge. If I felt I was using it too much, I'd only check it occasionally to conserve battery. And yes, there are external battery packs to extend the life. Some simply plug into the bottom of the phone and others, which I like better, are built into their own case.

Obviously one of the biggest worries, as someone mentioned, is carrying around an expensive smartphone that wasn't really designed for this. But as long as your careful, I'm proof that an iPhone definitely gets the job done. We've been through all kinds of terrain and I'm always very careful with it no matter where we are. There are nice, tough cases out there (such as Otterbox) that would obviously help, but right now it's not something I can afford...neither is a handheld GPS unit. So I'm perfectly satisfied with the iPhone. If you have an older model and feel it's not as accurate as I've described, then maybe a GPSr is for you. Or an upgrade to a newer iPhone. :anibad:

You would be hard pressed to find a better response than this. Pretty much sums up smart phone caching perfectly.

I'm new to this and using an Android app on my smartphone. I'm not too familiar with newer GPSr but I can't imagine how it could be easier than an app. . . unless perhaps you also had premium membership. My experience with GPSrs is that they don't work under trees. . . and a good lot of the caches near me are in wooded areas.

I use the Android version as my primary GPS. I'm in the car a lot for work and I can often stop and grab a Cache in between stops. My phone is just as accurate as my Garmin and much smaller and more portable. It's also nice to log right on the spot. I also like being able to find near by caches at any given time and snag one during lunch.

As stated above, it's not great for poor weather and some cellphone screens can be very hard to read in direct sun. You must have a good data/cellphone connection, which in more remote places isn't going to happen. However, if you are near or in a larger town or a city it shouldn't be much of a problem.

A tradition GPS has better battery life and is much more durable and weather resistant. They also have some better features for non-caching activities.

However, my Android is my:

-Primary Phone

-Primary Caching GPS

-Primary Navigating GPS for driving with Voice directions

-Gaming device

-mobile internet

-mobile radio (I like talk radio)

-mobile weather

-mobile video player (mostly for my daughter)

-Video recorder and Camera

It's a great all in one package for my purposes. It does everything I like to do that can be done on a mobile device. So, instead of carrying a second device, I just use my phone.

My husband uses his Droid with the paid app, and I have a Magellan Explorist GC handheld GPS, ($150). His Droid is good because it gets us to the generally vicinity and offers turn by turn directions. (We don't always know where we're going.) It's also nice because we can look at it with the satellite view and know before we get out of the car exactly where we are headed. But when it comes to actually finding ground zero, my GPS wins every time. He is usually between 20-50 feet off.

Of course my iPhone also gives me voice directions from cache to cache. Navigon, for instance, integrates with geosphere, which offers great mapping and paperless information - which is one reason why it complements my handheld (which gives directions without voice guidance) so well.

It is just about having all the tools...a NUVI for getting in and out of areas, will expedite your experience... use the phone for pictures and for the older logs.....

I have a NUVI, a PN40, a Garmin Vista HCx, and an Android with me when I cache.... [using PQ and GSAK]... all paperless caching...

I'm going to reference this thread for every discussion on this forum where someone bashes iPhone users as 'newbie' cachers and somehow lesser cachers then people with a gpsr. It's getting old seeing it over and over.

That's fine, but I've never used smart phone/iphone side by side with a gps. I'm willing to read about what works best (or better) so I'm interested in this thread as well.

You would be hard pressed to find a better response than this. Pretty much sums up smart phone caching perfectly.

I am one of those that uses an iPhone to augment my handheld GPS (an Oregon 450). I have both for a few reasons:

Although some that have written they've found a thousand caches just with a smartphone, there are a lot of places for my just over 1000 finds where I would not want to take out a smart phone. That includes boat accessible only caches, and many places where dropping a device that isn't designed to be used in harsh environments such as rocky areas, stream crossings, etc. While I might have my iPhone with me, it's going to stay in my pocket or a protective case unless I'm stopped in a spot where I can safely use it without risk of it being damaged.

I've got an iPhone 3GS and while some claim that it's fairly accurate, my experience has been that it just doesn't come close to my handheld, especially in areas with marginal satellite reception.

However, there are also times when having the iPhone comes in really handy. Having access to waypoints in real time (not just what I've downloaded to my handheld) has come in handy on more than a couple of occastions when I created a pocket query along a route and found myself beyond the proximity limit I had set when I created the PQ. Having real time access to full descriptions, hints, and past logs has been really useful. On MOnday I'll have a couple of hours of free time in Washington DC and hope to grab a few virts there and I suspect I'll mostly use the iPhone.

Since I travel a fair amount, including a significant amount of international travel, and the outrageous data roaming charges in many places I've visited, even if I don't have good base maps (which is improving with the proliferation of free maps from a couple of sources), navigating to caches using my handheld works anywhere. Turning off data on my phone limits it's use as a GPS but can save a *lot* of money.

Since I always try to write complete sentences in my online logs I really haven't used my iPhone to post my logs from the field and I've never found so many caches in a day that I couldn't remember one of them when it came time to log them from a computer.

I'm new to this and using an Android app on my smartphone. I'm not too familiar with newer GPSr but I can't imagine how it could be easier than an app. . . unless perhaps you also had premium membership. My experience with GPSrs is that they don't work under trees. . . and a good lot of the caches near me are in wooded areas.

That was true 5 or 6 years ago. The modern units with high sensitivity receivers work quite well under trees. Heck I get reception in my basement with my Garmin 60CSX.

True enough with logging , I find with logging with the iPhone now use field notes to log the find with my iPhone then log on at home to edit them into a post where I can put more details. Especially after reading how so many co's are 'offended' by short TFTC type logs.!:-)

My husband uses his Droid with the paid app, and I have a Magellan Explorist GC handheld GPS, ($150). His Droid is good because it gets us to the generally vicinity and offers turn by turn directions. (We don't always know where we're going.) It's also nice because we can look at it with the satellite view and know before we get out of the car exactly where we are headed. But when it comes to actually finding ground zero, my GPS wins every time. He is usually between 20-50 feet off.

I have the same issue my iphone takes me to the vicinity but its about 20-50 feet off. Sometimes I don't mind and will just take the extra time to look around the area but other times it can be very frustrating.

I'm going to reference this thread for every discussion on this forum where someone bashes iPhone users as 'newbie' cachers and somehow lesser cachers then people with a gpsr. It's getting old seeing it over and over.

I haven't seen one post where anybody bashed "iPhone users as 'newbie' cachers and somehow lesser cachers then people with a gpsr".

My husband and I started with iphones, found 75+ caches with them and got us hooked!! Can't complain about that at all!!

Because we have discovered how much we love this hobby - we bought a Garmin Oregan 450 and we use that exclusively. We still carry our iphones while caching and use them from time to time for features the Garmin doesn't have, instant logging/sending, and accessing other information (profile page, websites,etc).

If you've discovered that you love this hobby, you should definately get a dedicated GPS. The weaknes of the iphone is battery life & cell signal.

If you ask me...best of both worlds. Smart Phone + GPS.

I have the same issue my iphone takes me to the vicinity but its about 20-50 feet off. Sometimes I don't mind and will just take the extra time to look around the area but other times it can be very frustrating.

If you don't mind me asking, Lizzie, which model do you have? I've read others who have one of the older models and experience similar inaccuracies to yours. I have the iPhone 4 and find it to be very accurate. It can put me right on top of the cache and more often than not, at least get me within 10 feet. On a bad day, or in heavily wooded areas (especially with thick canopy), it still gets me within 20 ft. and that's easily managed.

I haven't seen one post where anybody bashed "iPhone users as 'newbie' cachers and somehow lesser cachers then people with a gpsr".

No disrespect, but maybe you're just not seeing what we see because it's everywhere. Newcomers & smartphone users take a lot of heat for ruining Geocaching all over this forum. If it's a blank or short log, then it must be one of us smartphone users. If there's an increase in bad caches & LPC's, it must be newbies & smartphone users hiding them. Smartphones & newbies go hand in hand because the ability to use them to cache has caused an influx of newbies to the game. So what, it gives so many of us who don't have GPSr's the chance to play. I'm very thankful for that because without my iPhone, my family & I couldn't play...and we love it! I've said it time & time again, you can't blame a bad cache (or what you consider bad) or logs that don't live up to your standards on the device someone uses...it's not the device, it's the cacher themselves. Personally, I'd rather see a lot of smartphone cachers who might post short logs than some of these longtime cachers with their "holier than thou" attitudes. I agree with spdrbob wholeheartedly, it gets very old.

If you've discovered that you love this hobby, you should definately get a dedicated GPS. The weaknes of the iphone is battery life & cell signal.

If you ask me...best of both worlds. Smart Phone + GPS.

Even though I don't have a GPSr, I'll agree that the ideal situation would probably be the best of both worlds (both devices). The all-in-one convenience of a smartphone app and the accuracy, battery life & durability of a GPSr. Battery life of a phone is manageable, we've gone out caching all day. Cell signal can be worked around by saving caches to favorites, then they won't be reliant on signal. I just don't want anyone thinking they can't love & enjoy this game or that they can't be a "serious" cacher (as someone mentioned elsewhere) if they don't have a GPSr. My family & I love Geocaching. We aim to be good, considerate, helpful cachers. Our 8 months of caching & 175 caches may not be a lot, but it was all done with my iPhone and will continue to be. I'm not trying to tell people NOT to go out & buy a GPSr, I'm just saying they aren't absolutely necessary to be a good cacher.

Edited by TL&MinBHIL

I added a Dual Craddle to my Ipod touch (gps receiver) and I am satisfied with that. The ones for Ipods are much cheaper than the ones for Iphones now. They work fine, adding accuracy to the Ipod GPS and have extra battery function. I too see a lot of people expressing unfriendly opinions to Ipod/Iphone/Smartphone users though.

I just started geocaching two days ago. I have the 10 dollar app on my Iphone 4 and the phone gets me within 20-40 feet and sometimes right on the cache itself. I have found 11 caches with the phone. I like using the phone because it connects me right to the geocache page that I'm looking for and gives me hints and attributes when I'm out there. Battery life is an issue because it doesn't last very long so I just keep my car charger in the car and plug it in when going cache to cache. I also like the fact that I can put several caches in my favorites on the app and map them all out at once. This saves on gas and time instead of wondering which one to go to next. So basically I have a GPS, connection to the website, trip planner, and phone all in one device. I would suggest a tough case for the phone because I can see the phone slipping out if your not paying attention. Once I start noticing problems with the Iphone than I might go spend money on a handheld GPS but until then I'm all about the phone.

I don't think I need to provide specific examples , it's not my point to call people out like that. I was only making the point for the OP to not let the feeling you get about iPhones from the forum get you discouraged. As obvious by the last few posts I dont think I'm wrong in stating that is a feeling you get from reading to forums...

I have not seen a anyone really bashing using phones. People state the obvvious drawbacks of using a phone:

#1- They're not weather resistant.

#2- Screens somtimes are bad in direct light.

#3- While they are accurate enough, they are not quite as accurate as a good GPSr.

#4- Short Battery life compared to a GPSr.

#5- Apps function differently on phones, the app might be very good on one phone and junk on the next. The iPhone 4 and the upper end Android phones run it very well and are pretty accurate. This mostly has to do with processor speed.

#6- You need a good signal to get an accurated GPS reading. This means that your ability to use the phone and it's accuracy is highly dependant on your carrier.

Most of these drawbacks can be overlooked or compensated for depending on your use.

You can put the phone in a ziplock to keep in from getting wet, use a phone charger and/or extra batteries, buy a higher end phone (generally that will fix screen issues and some of the accuracy issues), get a phone from a carrier with the best coverage in your area.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a smartphone alone. You just have to keep in mind that you may have a larger GZ to work with on some caches.

Just one quibble...

#6- You need a good signal to get an accurated GPS reading. This means that your ability to use the phone and it's accuracy is highly dependant on your carrier.
Not all phones rely on a data connection (or any cell connection at all). For example, my Nexus One uses cell towers to get a preliminary location, but does all the GPS calculations itself. Without a connection, its initial lock can be slow (just like any GPSr that is turned on after having changed locations). But it doesn't rely on servers to do any of the GPS calculations, so once it has a lock, it's fine on its own.

Just one quibble...

Not all phones rely on a data connection (or any cell connection at all). For example, my Nexus One uses cell towers to get a preliminary location, but does all the GPS calculations itself. Without a connection, its initial lock can be slow (just like any GPSr that is turned on after having changed locations). But it doesn't rely on servers to do any of the GPS calculations, so once it has a lock, it's fine on its own.

That's true but no having a signal takes away the stuff that makes a smartphone app cool. Like the "near by cache" function and things like that.

If you don't mind me asking, Lizzie, which model do you have? I've read others who have one of the older models and experience similar inaccuracies to yours. I have the iPhone 4 and find it to be very accurate. It can put me right on top of the cache and more often than not, at least get me within 10 feet. On a bad day, or in heavily wooded areas (especially with thick canopy), it still gets me within 20 ft. and that's easily managed.

No disrespect, but maybe you're just not seeing what we see because it's everywhere. Newcomers & smartphone users take a lot of heat for ruining Geocaching all over this forum. If it's a blank or short log, then it must be one of us smartphone users. If there's an increase in bad caches & LPC's, it must be newbies & smartphone users hiding them. Smartphones & newbies go hand in hand because the ability to use them to cache has caused an influx of newbies to the game. So what, it gives so many of us who don't have GPSr's the chance to play. I'm very thankful for that because without my iPhone, my family & I couldn't play...and we love it! I've said it time & time again, you can't blame a bad cache (or what you consider bad) or logs that don't live up to your standards on the device someone uses...it's not the device, it's the cacher themselves. Personally, I'd rather see a lot of smartphone cachers who might post short logs than some of these longtime cachers with their "holier than thou" attitudes. I agree with spdrbob wholeheartedly, it gets very old.

I was referring to the post that said THIS thread was an example of bashing smart phone users. I simply don't see it here. Smart phones have significant limitations when it comes to geocaching. Mere mention of them is not bashing smart phone users.

Just one quibble...
That's true but no having a signal takes away the stuff that makes a smartphone app cool. Like the "near by cache" function and things like that.
Well, that's different from "You need a good signal to get an accurated GPS reading."

And it depends on what you think makes a smartphone app cool. I've been using PDAs and smartphones for >10 years, and I find them very useful for many things even without an internet connection. One complaint I have with a number of Android apps is that they require an internet connection and have no provision for offline use.

And I've found both GeoBeagle and the Groundspeak app very useful in offline mode, using PQ data.

Well, that's different from "You need a good signal to get an accurated GPS reading."

Yes, that's why I said what you said was true. I was just adding to your comment not using this as an arguement against your previous comment.

And it depends on what you think makes a smartphone app cool. I've been using PDAs and smartphones for >10 years, and I find them very useful for many things even without an internet connection. One complaint I have with a number of Android apps is that they require an internet connection and have no provision for offline use.

I've been using an Android phone for a while. I think geocaching function is good but I find accuracy to be poor with a bad connection. I still take my phone with whenn using a traditional GPSr because I take my notes on it, pictures, video, and I have cache info stored on it. So, signal or not, it's useful. I'm just pointing out that with the phone that I have that the apps tend need a good signal to be most accurate and to use all of the functions. However, a regular GPSr can use all functions, all of the time minus a few places where a GPS signal can't get too.

I was referring to the post that said THIS thread was an example of bashing smart phone users. I simply don't see it here. Smart phones have significant limitations when it comes to geocaching. Mere mention of them is not bashing smart phone users.

Sorry, I must have misread the other person's post. I thought they were referring to bashing smartphone users on the forum in general. I agree, it's not a problem in this thread.

We're not referring to those who simply point out the cons of using smartphones to cache. I wasn't at least. I know my phone's limitations and I try to inform anyone new inquiring about using a phone to cache. What we're referring to are those who have an obvious negative attitude towards newbies & smartphone users. I saw it the first day I ever came to this forum. There are those who claim we are damaging the game in some way. Blaming us for every little problem they have with the game. Blaming us for recent changes they don't like. Things like that. I'll continue defending newbies & smartphone users because more often than not, as a group we're not the problem. I'm sure there have been some changes to the game in the last year or 2 and maybe (I say maybe) some of the "old timers" aren't fond of some of those changes & find it difficult to adjust to them. I can fully understand that, I truly can. But such negativity towards a small (but growing) group of cachers just because we use smartphones isn't getting them anywhere.

Very true, but that's where planning comes into play. App users can map out where they want to go, which caches they want to hunt then save them to their favorites. Then we have access to all the information without requiring a cell signal. We can compose a log, save it, and send it later when we do have signal. I do this even when I know I'll be in an area with great signal because I have limited data and doing this saves me from using much of it. And just to add my 2 cents to what was being talked about with needing cell signal for GPS, I have the iPhone 4 and AT&T and I don't need cell signal to get an accurate GPS reading.

Cell signal can be worked around by saving caches to favorites, then they won't be reliant on signal.

Late response, sorry.... :anicute:

The cell service is used for more than just retrieving the information. The cell signal itself is also used along with the GPS receiver for location purposes.

You can turn off the cell signals and use the GPS part of the phone primarily, but the phone becomes extremely S L O W and takes forever to update your position. We've tried this a couple times and the phone would just sit there and sometimes would lock up completely. Not fun at all.

That is why (atleast our experience) the cell signal is very important for actually 'finding' caches. Sometimes when the primary GPS (our Garmin) is having trouble with the tree canopy or cloud cover, the phone has a very slight advantage (with good cell signal).

Edited by Lieblweb

Cell signal can be worked around by saving caches to favorites, then they won't be reliant on signal.

Late response, sorry.... :anicute:

The cell service is used for more than just retrieving the information. The cell signal itself is also used along with the GPS receiver for location purposes.

You can turn off the cell signals and use the GPS part of the phone primarily, but the phone becomes extremely S L O W and takes forever to update your position. We've tried this a couple times and the phone would just sit there and sometimes would lock up completely. Not fun at all.

That is why (atleast our experience) the cell signal is very important for actually 'finding' caches. Sometimes when the primary GPS (our Garmin) is having trouble with the tree canopy or cloud cover, the phone has a very slight advantage (with good cell signal).

Today I found 2 caches in an area where I had no cell signal (I downloaded them to my phone before I set out). . . The GPS took me to within 1m of both of them. . .

So I can definitely say that GPS isn't dependent on having a mobile phone signal.

I've found 12, but have been with a friend of mine who uses an app on his phone. (not iPhone... Droid, I think?) I had a 3GS but it was stolen a couple of months ago, so I now have my old Blackberry Curve with no GPS, etc. I have a Garmin Nuvi gps in my car, but I seem to have issues with it getting me close when I'm on foot - the slow movement doesn't help. I'm considering going out and looking for a couple of geocaches tomorrow with it alone, mostly just to have something to do and partly to see how well it will work. I won't be going for any difficult caches, though.

I'll be getting a new iPhone in 2 or so months. Most likely I'll get a good app for it, but I'm not opposed to buying a handheld GPS. Problem is, I don't know one from another. I'd also like to keep the cost -somewhat- down. Any tips would be helpful. I can definitely see the drawbacks to using a smartphone, but with a good case/protection, frequent charging between long caches or an extra battery pack, I don't see why it wouldn't be enough. After reading a few posts here, I assume you can save the favorites and view them on the map WITHOUT having to have a signal? Or am I wrong? I used my dad's iPhone 4 to go look for a cache about half of a mile from his gf's house. Lots of woods, the app took me to a location right off of the road, but then I lost service and it quit. If that happens often to people, I'd prefer to buy a GPS instead of getting myself lost somewhere.

I've found 12, but have been with a friend of mine who uses an app on his phone. (not iPhone... Droid, I think?) I had a 3GS but it was stolen a couple of months ago, so I now have my old Blackberry Curve with no GPS, etc. I have a Garmin Nuvi gps in my car, but I seem to have issues with it getting me close when I'm on foot - the slow movement doesn't help. I'm considering going out and looking for a couple of geocaches tomorrow with it alone, mostly just to have something to do and partly to see how well it will work. I won't be going for any difficult caches, though.

I'll be getting a new iPhone in 2 or so months. Most likely I'll get a good app for it, but I'm not opposed to buying a handheld GPS. Problem is, I don't know one from another. I'd also like to keep the cost -somewhat- down. Any tips would be helpful. I can definitely see the drawbacks to using a smartphone, but with a good case/protection, frequent charging between long caches or an extra battery pack, I don't see why it wouldn't be enough. After reading a few posts here, I assume you can save the favorites and view them on the map WITHOUT having to have a signal? Or am I wrong? I used my dad's iPhone 4 to go look for a cache about half of a mile from his gf's house. Lots of woods, the app took me to a location right off of the road, but then I lost service and it quit. If that happens often to people, I'd prefer to buy a GPS instead of getting myself lost somewhere.

If you save the cache info to your phone then you won't need a signal when you're there.

I too think a smartphone is enough. GPS receivers aren't all that cheap, and are no way as convenient as being able to cache 'on the fly' or paperlessly.

When you start geocaching, you'll soon learn if the phone will be enough. Depending on where you are and the types of caching you do - you may or may not have problems with the phone.

If you decide to buy a GPS, you'll want to make sure it has a 3axis compass. The iPhones have it.

When you're used to using it, you'll never want to go without it.

I have an iPhone 3GS, but I prefer to use a dedicated GPS. The margin of accuracy on my GPS is usually never more than 30' and sometimes it's spot on. The MOA on the iPhone varies a lot, over half a mile in some instances.

The $10 Geocaching app is great for researching more info on a cache or for doing spur of the moment caching, but only if there is enough signal reception.

The biggest problem I have with the iPhone is when people use it to hide caches. The coordinates are usually so far off that finding the cache becomes almost impossible.

I just started caching, and use a few apps on my Motorola Atrix. But, I'm not new to using GPS. I think I had 3 GPS apps on my Backflip that I used before I bought the Atrix. I also have a Tom Tom as my car Sat-Nav. I find the accuracy to be very good on some phones, and not so good on others.

Actually, I just tested the Atrix against the Backflip. In the same spot, with the same GPS app, the Backflip hovers between 16-23' error, and the Atrix is sitting on anywhere from 4-9' error.

I can open up my Atrix and get accuracy down to 4'. 6' is the norm with a good sky view. 9-13' if I'm in tree cover.

I think it depends on the phone, the app, and how you are going to use it.

As far as dropping it, why not get one of the sports sleeves that you zip it into, and wear around your arm? Its made for holding your phone, still visible, while out on a jog, surely it could help if you are worried about dropping it.

I do plan on getting a standalone GPS unit, once I get into the sport a bit more over the summer. The battery life on the Atrix is very good, but for a long hike, I would take both, and only use the phone if I needed it.

I just started caching, and use a few apps on my Motorola Atrix. But, I'm not new to using GPS. I think I had 3 GPS apps on my Backflip that I used before I bought the Atrix. I also have a Tom Tom as my car Sat-Nav. I find the accuracy to be very good on some phones, and not so good on others.

Actually, I just tested the Atrix against the Backflip. In the same spot, with the same GPS app, the Backflip hovers between 16-23' error, and the Atrix is sitting on anywhere from 4-9' error.

I can open up my Atrix and get accuracy down to 4'. 6' is the norm with a good sky view. 9-13' if I'm in tree cover.

I think it depends on the phone, the app, and how you are going to use it.

As far as dropping it, why not get one of the sports sleeves that you zip it into, and wear around your arm? Its made for holding your phone, still visible, while out on a jog, surely it could help if you are worried about dropping it.

I do plan on getting a standalone GPS unit, once I get into the sport a bit more over the summer. The battery life on the Atrix is very good, but for a long hike, I would take both, and only use the phone if I needed it.

Just as an fyi, the phones displayed accuracy is a tad inflated. And by a tad I mean alot.

I tried my first cache with my iphone 3gs with the $10 app, the closest it came to the cache was 30 ft, and the accuracy was showing 155ft .....155ft!! so the cache could be anywhere within 185ft?

needless to say my daughter and i could not find the cache and are wondering if we ever will find anything with the app and phone, with these numbers it seems impossible?

I tried my first cache with my iphone 3gs with the $10 app, the closest it came to the cache was 30 ft, and the accuracy was showing 155ft .....155ft!! so the cache could be anywhere within 185ft?

needless to say my daughter and i could not find the cache and are wondering if we ever will find anything with the app and phone, with these numbers it seems impossible?

Switch over to the aerial view from the compass / direction mode and move slowly until the blue dot (you) is at the target. You should be pretty close at that point. Signal reception isn't always the best though and you could be standing still for a while waiting for the app to catch up with you, but I primarily hunt in rural areas anyway, so that is bound to happen.

It's all about the "tftc" logs, brotha. Should I add that to my signature line? :anibad:

Hi... I'm new to Geocaching and attempted to find my first cache last weekend using my iphone but was unable to find the cache. Having read this I am wondering if it is because my iphone 3gs is not accurate enough? I can see people say they use hand held GPS... would this include the TomTom sat nav? I didnt realise satnavs could find caches as I havent seen geocaching on mine... is anyone able to enlighten me or am I being really thick regarding this technology?!

Thanks,

Chez .

I can't speak for the 3GS, but I've been caching with only my iPhone 4 (and the $10 Geo app) for almost a year now and I consider it quite accurate, easily in the 5-10 ft. range. It does struggle in heavily wooded areas, but even then it usually gets me within 20 ft. or so. Granted, the 4 does have better GPS functionality over the 3G & 3GS. Smartphone caching has its pros & cons, but I'm more than satisfied with it. I don't think they deserve the negativity they often receive here in the forums.

Hi... I'm new to Geocaching and attempted to find my first cache last weekend using my iphone but was unable to find the cache. Having read this I am wondering if it is because my iphone 3gs is not accurate enough? I can see people say they use hand held GPS... would this include the TomTom sat nav? I didnt realise satnavs could find caches as I havent seen geocaching on mine... is anyone able to enlighten me or am I being really thick regarding this technology?!

Thanks,

Chez .

Satnavs don't find caches. iPhones don't find caches. GPSr's don't find caches. Geocachers find caches, those devices only bring you to a location approximately where the cache is hidden.

Any GPS unit will only bring you to a set if coordinates, it doesn't matter if that unit has a "Geocache" function or not. Learn to think of the device in those terms, actually finding caches is a skill you'll have to learn.

Satnavs don't find caches. iPhones don't find caches. GPSr's don't find caches. Geocachers find caches, those devices only bring you to a location approximately where the cache is hidden.

Any GPS unit will only bring you to a set if coordinates, it doesn't matter if that unit has a "Geocache" function or not. Learn to think of the device in those terms, actually finding caches is a skill you'll have to learn.

Very well put.