New maps. (beta) not an improvement

maps seemed to work a lot better for me yesterday. My personalization finally worked, so I did not have to see my own caches. Moved decently fast.

only real gripe I had was the fact you could not easily distinguish inactive caches and I guess some folks say ignored caches still show there, but apart from that, they worked much better than last week due to the personalization stuff alone.

I like the beta maps. There are still a few minor issues here and there, but overall I like them.

The oddest one I've seen was that at certain zooms, Earthcaches carry the virtual icon but as you zoom in, the icon changes to the EC logo. Maybe intentional, I dunno.

I just noticed the PMO icon for the first time today and I'd never seen that before. I didn't realize that was what it was until the post above me. Maybe including it on the legend would be nice, I dunno.

I do like seeing caches on wider zoom levels so I can get the lay of the land before zooming.

IMO, beta maps are winning.

The oddest one I've seen was that at certain zooms, Earthcaches carry the virtual icon but as you zoom in, the icon changes to the EC logo. Maybe intentional, I dunno.

Intentional, because if you zoom out, the icon for all caches changes to the smaller "group" icon (the same as can be seen on the left), and the group icon for all virtual caches (yes, earthcaches and webcams are also virtuals) is the little ghost. In the same way, the icon for Wherigo caches will change to the blue question mark.

The big problem I see with the beta map is that in includes caches I have found with the smile face icon that is used on the older map. There should at least be a filter to filter out found caches, if there is one I have not found it. For me the beta map is usless without being able to filter out found caches.

I can't stand the beta maps with one of the issues being that they aren't updated instantly. I guess the advantage to that is that they load faster and use less of the servers' resources. I'm not sure how often they updated but we had a cache near me that was published 3 hours ago and it's still not showing up on the beta.

On a good note, it looks as if personalization has been enabled once again on the old maps!

They're a little sqirrely for me.

1) The zoom controls do not always show-up (need to arrow back and come back in)

2) The click to cache page from the bubble is slow and squirrely. Never know if it's thinking about taking me to the cache page or didn't register the click.

3) Personalization comes and goes.

The big problem I see with the beta map is that in includes caches I have found with the smile face icon that is used on the older map. There should at least be a filter to filter out found caches, if there is one I have not found it. For me the beta map is usless without being able to filter out found caches.

Unclick the found smiley under personalization.

When I print this map it has no caches displayed. http://coord.info/map?ll=33.022093,-86.601456&z=14 WHY

Im not sure ,, it works fine for me. You now owe me 1 piece of paper because I wasted on a map of a power trail :tongue:

BTW I like the new maps. One thing I would like to see is a list of caches that you had with the old maps

If you go to the old maps they now have the list of caches back, but you can't see the first one they are behind the map. I just wish they would put the maps back like they were.

OK where do I send you the sheet of paper to. I am useing IE8 what do you use.

Anybody having an issue with Maps Beta in that you cannot open the cache page by clicking on the icon?

I am having this problem when accessing maps from my Motorola Droid. The previous map version wasn't totally perfect on the Droid, but it was usable. The beta version only shows the caches; now when I touch a cache icon (the equivalent of a click) nothing happens. Previously, this would bring up the cache page. The official geocaching app for the Droid has a mapping capability too, but that seems to have other problems. All in all, the new maps seem like a big step backward.

When I print this map it has no caches displayed. http://coord.info/map?ll=33.022093,-86.601456&z=14 WHY

Im not sure ,, it works fine for me. You now owe me 1 piece of paper because I wasted on a map of a power trail :tongue:

BTW I like the new maps. One thing I would like to see is a list of caches that you had with the old maps

If you go to the old maps they now have the list of caches back, but you can't see the first one they are behind the map. I just wish they would put the maps back like they were.

OK where do I send you the sheet of paper to. I am useing IE8 what do you use.

I have to agree about the old maps they WERE very good. I miss the list of caches and hope it can be incorporated into the new ones I use Safari, Firefox and Chrome (mostly FF as I have it set up for caching.) Dont worry about the paper Mrs SF7 will bring some home from work :anibad:

I have to agree about the old maps they WERE very good.

Functionality wise, yes. Technologically, no. They were slow and limited. In that respect, I'm all for an update, but any replacement should at least provide the same functionality before it gets put in place.

There are times when my map does not show several of the geocaches from the trail i laid out , I then get e-mails from cachers asking "why is it missing".

Also half the time, when clicking on an icon on the map, nothing happens, I go to old maps and all works fine.

Doesn't anybody from Groundspeak keep an open eye on these forums, It's time we heard some feedback from them over these problems.

I also have some problems with the beta map part of the site.

The old map is far better then the beta map for now.

However, what saddens me is the small size of the old map.

The old site was better with this respect.

So I made some changes in one of the css-data the old map part of the site uses.

The result works for me (almost) perfect:

LargeMap.png

This is the css I changed:

#ctl00_divContentMain
       {
           margin-top: 1.5em;
           margin-left: 0.5em;
           margin-right: -0.5em;
           margin-bottom: 1.5em;
       }
       #Content
       {
           margin-left: 50.5em !move_left_part_of_zoom_to_address_block_to_the_right;
           margin-right: -50.5em !and_correct_right_part_of_zoom_to_address_block;
       }
       #map
       {
           position: absolute;
           margin-top: 0;
           margin-left: 0;
           margin-left: -100.5em !move_left_part_of_map_to_the_left;
           margin-right: 180.5em !and_correct_right_part_of_map_so_it_looks_nice;
           width: 281% !Make_the_map_a_lot_bigger__try_and_error;
           height: 099%;
           border: 1px solid #c0c0c0;
       }

I saved this file as 'NewEmbeddedStyles.css' and added the file as a 'User Style Sheet' in the add-on 'Web Developer' in 'Firefox'.

It is not perfect but as I said, it works for me on my 27'' Mac screen.

You surely will have to change the margin_left and margin_right as well as the #map width values for you screen to fit on your screen.

And its fast, probably because fewer users are using the old map site

Edited by geobswescout

I've had a chance to examine the new, beta, maps. I don't think there is an improvement over the old maps.

I think GC should leave the maps as they were.

Easy solution!!!

This is what I do and it works perfectly! Just type this into your address bar:

geocaching.com/map

and it will take you to the original maps (which I also like a little better too, to tell you the truth!)

I also have some problems with the beta map part of the site.

The old map is far better then the beta map for now.

However, what saddens me is the small size of the old map.

The old site was better with this respect.

So I made some changes in one of the css-data the old map part of the site uses.

The result works for me (almost) perfect:

<snipped image>

This is the css I changed:

<snipped code>

I saved this file as 'NewEmbeddedStyles.css' and added the file as a 'User Style Sheet' in the add-on 'Web Developer' in 'Firefox'.

It is not perfect but as I said, it works for me on my 27'' Mac screen.

You surely will have to change the margin_left and margin_right as well as the #map width values for you screen to fit on your screen.

And its fast, probably because fewer users are using the old map site

I'm missing something. I don't get the wide map you show. Probably missing a step along the way. Could you elaborate a bit more?

Well, this morning, the maps aren't working at all, at least for me. No caches at all on the beta map, and just a question mark on the old map. Not even "parsing" today.

Both the old style and tne beta maps are working fine for me right now.

This is rather strange. On my MacBook, everything works except for the "deycrpt" button which doesn't show up. But, when I click on the link to print the cache page, it is there. On my Lenovo netbook, using Google Chrome, everything works. On my work PC, using Google Chrome or IE 8, there are no caches on the maps, and the drop down links on the home page don't work. They only work when I go into my profile page. Prior to the upgrade, they were all working fine.

Also, this morning I installed Firefox on my work PC--same problem. No dropdowns unless I go to my profile, and no caches showing on either the new or old maps.

Edited by GrateBear

I'm missing something. I don't get the wide map you show. Probably missing a step along the way. Could you elaborate a bit more?

Sorry, I missed some semi's:

#ctl00_divContentMain
       {
       }
       #Content
       {
           margin-left: 50.5em; !move_left_part_of_zoom_to_address_block_to_the_right;
           margin-right: -50.5em; !and_correct_right_part_of_zoom_to_address_block;
       }
       #map
       {
           margin-left: 0;
           margin-left: -100.5em; !move_left_part_of_map_to_the_left;
           margin-right: 180.5em; !and_correct_right_part_of_map_so_it_looks_nice;
           width: 281%; !Make_the_map_a_lot_bigger__try_and_error;
       }

Here's a hand-on approach how to optimize this css for your screen.

First goto www.geocaching.com/map

Then 'insert' this css which is the web page default:

#ctl00_divContentMain
       {
       }
       #Content
       {
       }
       #map
       {
           margin-left: -0.5em;
           margin-right: 0.5em;
           width: 099%; 
       }

Now align the Content to the right by changing the margin-left and margin-right values in the #Content part.

The margin-right values is always the negative value of margin-left.

For my screen I ended up with:

#Content
       {
           margin-left: 50.5em;
           margin-right: -50.5em;
       }

Then start aligning the map part to the left side of your screen:

#map
       {
           margin-left: -0.5em;
           margin-right: 0.5em;
           width: 099%; 
       }

First change the margin-left value so the map moves to the left.

For my screen I needed : margin-left: -100.5em;

Next change the width value and margin-right value.

In my case I needed a width value of 281% and a margin-right value of 180.5em.

You will have to try out which values work best for your screen.

If you do not see the whole map, please resize your web browser window just a little bit.

Remember, if you reload the web page, your will have to add this User Style Sheet again since geocaching dot com does not remember your changes.

Edited by geobswescout

Anybody having an issue with Maps Beta in that you cannot open the cache page by clicking on the icon?

I get that on and off. The interface is clunky, sometimes I have to click it a couple times, then it thinks for a while, then pops up a smaller balloon that eventually becomes the old baloon popup from the old maps.

I've had a chance to examine the new, beta, maps. I don't think there is an improvement over the old maps.

Easy solution!!!

geocaching.com/map

and it will take you to the original maps (which I also like a little better too, to tell you the truth!)

Jacob501

You have the best SolutionI have seen. I tried it and it worked. I like to print out the maps with the list of caches. The new, beta, maps don't have a list of caches and on the old maps, the map and caches show up, but when I print then all I get is a map with roads on it and no caches. There is a list of caches but the map cover most of them.

I say that we go back to the old map. you can have the new, beta, maps also if I can have my old maps back.

Tom

Easy solution!!!

geocaching.com/map

How is that any different from clicking on the " Back to original maps" link in the upper-right of the beta maps?

My main issue with beta maps is that it is sluggish. When I hover the mouse over a cache, the name appears, then it seems to block me from clicking on it to pop up the dialog box.

The other irritation is having to click on "personalize" every time I go to the page. Seems like that should be the default.

(edit : embarrassed at not figuring out how to suppress found caches)

Edited by Chrysalides

Am I the only one that has a problem with the beta maps "sticking" in panning mode after clicking to get the balloon text up? The balloon text comes up fine, but if I move my mouse around after that, the entire map moves. I have to right-click to get back to normal mode.

This is with Firefox 4 on two different computers, with Grease Monkey disabled. I do not see the same problem in IE 8.

Am I the only one that has a problem with the beta maps "sticking" in panning mode after clicking to get the balloon text up? The balloon text comes up fine, but if I move my mouse around after that, the entire map moves. I have to right-click to get back to normal mode.

No such issue, and I use FF 4 exclusively.

I just tried the responsiveness again, seems OK now. Might be server load related? Last night I noticed it took almost a second before the cache name appears when I left the mouse on top of the cache. Sometimes the box blocks the cache completely, and you can't click on the cache.

My main issue with beta maps is that it is sluggish. When I hover the mouse over a cache, the name appears, then it seems to block me from clicking on it to pop up the dialog box.

The other irritation is having to click on "personalize" every time I go to the page. Seems like that should be the default.

+1

Also, on the old maps when I click on a cache near the top of the map the map automatically scrolls down to make room for the cache info bubble. the beta map tries to scroll down, but the grey banner is in the way and I cannot see anything above the terrain and difficulty without further scrolling.

*edited to make sense.

Edited by Mr Kaswa

can't understand the troubles...I honestly haven't had a single problem with beta maps since the latest site upgrade. it just works. Win7 Ultimate x64, running Chrome.

Some times folks use straight blade screw drivers to remove Philips head screws and wonder why people would spend extra money for a Philips head screw driver, after all the straight blade works just fine. It is sort of like that with maps

The beta map appears to be improving as time goes by. I noticed this morning that "personalization" is automatically on. One thing I also noticed is that the pop-up that appears when you click on a cache icon, does not show trackables like the old map did. You have to go to the actual cache page to see the inventory. If you're on the map page and looking for caches that have trackables, you're out of luck.

Something I like about the new map.

I can see a cache is PMOC at zoom 12&13.

Something I don't like about the new map.

I can not see a cache is PMOC above zoom 12&13 and below it is iffy.

It would be nice if the icons above those levels had the brown background.

It would also be even better if the color squares at below those levels had an indicator if the grouping had a PMOC in it.

Didn't like.

The hover pop up for the cache name made it difficult to click the cache.

Do like.

That is no longer an issue because it no longer appears over the cache.

Did like.

The fact that I had plenty of time to read the hover pop up.

Don't like.

This is no longer the case for names that have more than a couple of words. Maybe 3 seconds would be better?

I really like being able to zoom out and see a representation for every cache in the world. <---Tho true the world should be read as "area I'm interested in caching at."

I like that I can turn off the display for cache type groups I am not interested in instead of clicking each one individually, yet I still have the individual option available.

I would like to see more functionality in the balloon but I am sure that it will come within a reasonable time.