A Geocacher Works Here!

Watching the video of MissJenn sitting in her office gave me the idea for this thread. :laughing:

Many of the folks in my work group identify with sports teams. They customize their office space to show their affiliation. My boss is a HUGE Raiders fan. There is no mistaking that. I'm sure others can identify. :anibad:

However, folks that share an office generally have to be respectful of others and the personal touches get sacrificed. That's how it was for me anyway. :sad:

Recently, a promotion netted me a brand spanky new office all my own. :)

6c2d7079-8a21-4140-a288-3946e75d77c1.jpg

So far, that is the most outward sign, at work, that I'm a geocacher, but I plan to add some more stuff inside on the wall facing my desk.

So, post some pics of your geocaching office decor, or at least tell us how you represent at work. What do you display that would say "A geocacher works here!"? :):unsure:

Also, we all probably have inward signs that we geocache lying around the house, but post a pic of (or tell us about) any outward signs you have that might say "A geocacher lives here!" to someone passing bye. (Giant ammo can in the yard, etc.) :anibad:

I don't have a camera with me today, so I can't grab a pic, but let's see, there are the geocoins and geocaching mug sitting on my bookshelf combined with the EarthCache Master sticker, a travel bug dog tag, and the geocoin, pin, and name tag from the 2009 Texas Challenge stuck on my bulletin board.

Of course, I work in an office by myself, so no one would ever happen by and find out I'm a geocacher. :laughing:

Edited by KoosKoos

Have you gotten permission to use the GC logo for that? The "G" logo is open source and free to use but the other one isn't.

Lol. I'm not making money off of it or using it to advertise a product. It just a little personal product identification. I'm sure my boss appealed to the commissioner of the NFL for his Raiders tattoo. :rolleyes:

Edited by Snoogans

Cool sign B)

My work involves rotating to various benches/stations, so I really don't have a "desk" I can call my own. I have a locker, but I don't use it all that much, so haven't decorated it like some folks have.

A few people at work know of my...err...addiction, but about the only time Geocaching come up in conversation is when someone asks me if I heard of the recent bomb squad call-out <_<

Have you gotten permission to use the GC logo for that? The "G" logo is open source and free to use but the other one isn't.

Did you read the logo usage guideline?

Here it is, since you seem interested in the legal aspect : http://www.geocaching.com/about/logousage.aspx

As long as Snoogans doesn't have more than 25 office rooms at the same time, I guess he's OK.

That seems more than reasonable. Thanks for sharing

I wear a geacaching.com lanyard when I'm in the OR to keep me from having to clip my ID badge onto my scrubs (I always have visions of it pinging off into someone's abdomen or something). I work in obstetrics so out patients are usually awake - I have had a couple of comments about it!

We have this box located outside in our emergency evacuation area. It contains instructions, checklists etc for building evacuations. It was obviously acquired by a muggle because it's always nasty and filled w/ earwigs when we have drills. Now that the facility group falls under me, I'm going to have it replaced w/ an ammo can. Always wanted to have a fire engine red ammo can. Now just need to convince the safety group that it won't pinch fingers or unhibit opening during an emergency. I see an ammo can opening SOP in my future. :lol:

I like the lanyard idea, I've just ordered one as I've been carrying one advertising one of Mr. F's employers that gave us a great deal of grief! Also ordered a car sticker TB. Mr. F used to have a small hedgehog toy he took everywhere and usually sat on his desk, which we were going to make into a TB but then he left it behind on his travels. :( I guess if he ('Shufflebottom') had been a TB, we might have got him back eventually.

We have this box located outside in our emergency evacuation area. It contains instructions, checklists etc for building evacuations. It was obviously acquired by a muggle because it's always nasty and filled w/ earwigs when we have drills. Now that the facility group falls under me, I'm going to have it replaced w/ an ammo can. Always wanted to have a fire engine red ammo can. Now just need to convince the safety group that it won't pinch fingers or unhibit opening during an emergency. I see an ammo can opening SOP in my future. :lol:

LOL! Ammo cans have to pass U.S. gubbamint safety standards to be used in battle no less. Go ahead and use it.

If you can't find an OSHA regulation against it, and you won't, I say go on wit yer bad self. :anibad: Sometimes it's easier to say "sorry" than "please" when it comes to committees. :rolleyes:

I'm not claiming to be all knowledgable, but I am the OSHA compliance guy for my company. :anibad:

LOL! Ammo cans have to pass U.S. gubbamint safety standards to be used in battle no less. Go ahead and use it.

If you can't find an OSHA regulation against it, and you won't, I say go on wit yer bad self. :anibad: Sometimes it's easier to say "sorry" than "please" when it comes to committees. :rolleyes:

I'm not claiming to be all knowledgable, but I am the OSHA compliance guy for my company. :anibad:

I agree with snoogans BUT I would add, Good luck convincing safety people of ANYTHING......

:laughing:

I agree with snoogans BUT I would add, Good luck convincing safety people of ANYTHING......

HEY! I'm a Safety Guy... :mellow:

Untrained, well meaning, safety committees are another matter entirely. :rolleyes::laughing:

The face and reputation of Safety Professionals is changing with the times. If you don't like your safety guy, he needs to be re-educated, or you are doing something willfully out of OSHA compliance and don't want to learn the right way. :anibad::laughing::anitongue:

Edited by Snoogans

I have a North Carolina Geocachers Organization calendar on my wall. I also have a TB decal on my vehicle and I've met 2 people at the office who are also geocachers as a result of it!

You guys produce a great calendar! B)

I was given an NCGO calendar in 2009 when I spent a week in Asheville on training. It's funny. I live in Texas and had only been to NC twice, but I knew 85-90% of the folks pictured in it. :laughing: I kept it in my man-cave.

I liked Asheville so much it's now Plan B for retirement. B) I can't wait to go back and recertify in January.

Note to self: Shop around for a geocaching calendar for next year.

I have a cache hidden where I work GC1YQCE "the don't get board cache" It is hidden at a hardware -lumber yard like a smaller version of Lowe's .I have never meet a cacher that had found it . Should I put on the cache listing that the owner of the cache works here ?

If you want to meet them, you'll have to give information on how to contact you. Imagine them asking for firemanjim903mfd at customer service. :laughing:

I had a similar situation. I held a Christmas event in the auditorium where I work. At a subsequent event, while trading travel bugs with a pair local cachers, I inadvertantly dropped my spare set of car keys in with the TBs I had given them.

A few days later, they show up at work to return my keys and suddenly realize that they had forgotten my real name. I work in a government style high security environment bordering on TSA scrutiny. At the time I was the Swing Shift Supervisor of those forces. So picture these folks coming in on the Day Shift and not knowing exactly who they needed by name and asking for me by my Geonick. :blink:

Long story short, I got my keys back with about a month's worth of ribbing about it. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

The only geocaching personalization I have at my cubicle is my GPSr sitting right next to my computer with a USB wire handy for the good ol' lunch hour FTF hunts when, on rare occasion, a cache is published during the day. Got my first one last week! Went out and did a tree climb cache in my dress shoes lol.

I have a cache hidden where I work GC1YQCE "the don't get board cache" It is hidden at a hardware -lumber yard like a smaller version of Lowe's .I have never meet a cacher that had found it . Should I put on the cache listing that the owner of the cache works here ?

If you want to meet them, you'll have to give information on how to contact you. Imagine them asking for firemanjim903mfd at customer service. :laughing:

I had a similar situation. I held a Christmas event in the auditorium where I work. At a subsequent event, while trading travel bugs with a pair local cachers, I inadvertantly dropped my spare set of car keys in with the TBs I had given them.

A few days later, they show up at work to return my keys and suddenly realize that they had forgotten my real name. I work in a government style high security environment bordering on TSA scrutiny. At the time I was the Swing Shift Supervisor of those forces. So picture these folks coming in on the Day Shift and not knowing exactly who they needed by name and asking for me by my Geonick. :blink:

Long story short, I got my keys back with about a month's worth of ribbing about it. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

OK thanks for the help . I might just do it , but I would put my first name on the cache listing

First of all, I don't think anyone else has mentioned it, so, congrats on the promotion, Snoogans.

I've been toying with the idea of creating a multi cache where I work (Mann Library) based on the history of the building as it's gone through numerous changes. Since I have a second floor window office I was thinking of putting one of that stages (a set of coordinates) office window. Unfortunately, someone placed a hide-a-key in a garden about 400 feet from the building so I'll have to wait an see if that one ever gets archived. If I do create it, it will be called "The History of Mann".

First of all, I don't think anyone else has mentioned it, so, congrats on the promotion, Snoogans.

Hey THANKS. :)

I've been a lower middle management corporate stooge for a long time. Now, I'm an upper lower middle management corporate stooge. :laughing:

I really enjoy my new job. It's quite a challenge and the good part is I don't have to give up any of the fun aspects of my old job.

Back on topic...

I've decided that the wall facing my desk will be my geocaching wall.

I've been thinking of taking my massive sig item collection and making a few shadow boxes and also doing something in a frame for a couple dozen special geocoins. Maybe a magnetic plaque to display a few dozen of my favorite pathtags as well.....

Plus, I have Richard Garriott's (Lord British) 2 mission patches and the 2 coins that match the patches. It would be cool to have an autographed 8x10 of him in his mission jumpsuit to display with them. B) Note to self: gotta work on that.

I have also won a few awards (for caches I've hidden and one for a log on a cache) that I'm proud of to put on that wall as well. :)

My wife has warned me that the wall will be too busy if I do all of that. :unsure:

Plus, I have Richard Garriott's (Lord British) 2 mission patches and the 2 coins that match the patches. It would be cool to have an autographed 8x10 of him in his mission jumpsuit to display with them. B) Note to self: gotta work on that.
I'll trade you one of mine for another set of your smashed coins. I can get another one when I see him next Christmas.

Seriously, though: You could offer the same trade to him. If he's into caching as much as he seems to be, I bet he'd go for it. Maybe he'd bring one to his next extreme cache, too. The coin, that is. Come to think of it, if he left an autographed headshot in his next extreme cache, I can see you going for FTF.

It'd make for a great story to tell anyone who was looking at your office wall.

I'll trade you one of mine for another set of your smashed coins. I can get another one when I see him next Christmas.

Seriously, though: You could offer the same trade to him. If he's into caching as much as he seems to be, I bet he'd go for it. Maybe he'd bring one to his next extreme cache, too. The coin, that is. Come to think of it, if he left an autographed headshot in his next extreme cache, I can see you going for FTF.

It'd make for a great story to tell anyone who was looking at your office wall.

He already has a very special set of my coins. I met a good friend and partner of his Jarrett Crippen as I was finishing up Necropolis and he agreed to pass them on to Richard. B)

What! Your name isn't Snoogans? Good God!

Yeah, but I answer to it. There has been a few times out in public (not caching or attending an event) when I hear "Hey SNOOGANS!" :D

Hardly anyone I know that caches calls me by my given name. :laughing:

I took my grand kids geocaching for the first time and another cacher came past on a bicycle. (It was actually the cache owner.) She greeted me by the name Thrak and one of my grand kids asked why she called me that when my name is Michael. I think Snoogans works fine instead of Mark. Somehow it just doesn't have the same impact and it's hard to visualize someone with a "normal" name like that creating such an interesting profile page.

:laughing::blink::laughing:

I work for a subcontractor to a MAJOR Aerospace firm (If you've ever flown commercial, you've probably flown on one of their products.), and I've met at least one cacher while working for them (my job is delivering computers, setting them up, and then migrating the user to the new computer), and I know there are others.