User feedback on difficulty ratings

Mike Chmi

I think a great addition to the site would be for the cache finders to be able to input their opinion of the difficulty and terrain of the cache. There could show up as "placer" ratings and "finder" ratings (with an indication of how many people the rating was based on). There is already the option to input the cords where you found it at but I think this would be much more useful.

It doesn't seem that many people use the Clayjar rating system and this may be a way to "normalize" the ratings. There's nothing more frustrating then coming out of the backcountry all beat up and looking to do an easy 1/2 only to end up walking 4 miles with many up and down sections to find a cache, or starting on a 1/1.5 and figuring no need to take the camelback it's only a 1.5 but it ends up you have to hike 2 miles roundtrip on unlevel terrain. These are only two examples of the many times this has happened to me. Or vice versa you want a good challenge and it ends up being so easy you could fall out of your vehicle and get it. I think a feedback system like this (not rating how good a cache is, just what you think it's star level should be) could help out alot.

Anyone else?

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

With the rec. system, if you mark that a 4WD drive is required it automatically sets difficulty to 5. I have tried one in Middle East that was supposed to be 2.5 but was much harder - likewise I have done 3s in UK that I would have graded as 1.5/2 max. If the system was used it would certainly help.

I have emailed a cache owner that I thought the rating was too high, but nothing happened.

Mike,

I like your idea, but in the meantime, I simply write about that in my logs.

I've made reference to the Clayjar Rating System in my logs before (complete with a link) and mentioned what I thought the rating should be.

Keep in mind that for some caches, the terrain ratings could change depending on the season or other factors. The rating that an owner assigns may be perfectly appropriate most of the time, but could be way off if you visit after a rain... or during the winter, or other reasons.

Jamie