Harder to find cahces near your home location

On the old site, when you were logged in and went to the home page (www.geocaching.com) your home coordinates where placed in the search bar to find new caches. Now they are not and when putting them it, it finds nothing. Please revert the old style search. It takes forever to find caches now.

On the old site, when you were logged in and went to the home page (www.geocaching.com) your home coordinates where placed in the search bar to find new caches. Now they are not and when putting them it, it finds nothing. Please revert the old style search. It takes forever to find caches now.

Just type in your home town, or your zip code, or your state, or a local landmark etc....

Once you get that - save the page as a favorite/bookmark in your browser and then just open that page to do a quick search.

Just type in your home town, or your zip code, or your state, or a local landmark etc....

Once you get that - save the page as a favorite/bookmark in your browser and then just open that page to do a quick search.

By using my coordinates, I could find what is closest to my house, not my state, or zip code.

I live in Okinawa Japan so all of those things are out of the question. The point is, they broke something that worked perfectly before. Seems like a simple fix to me.

Edited by xtreme777

By using my coordinates, I could find what is closest to my house, not my state, or zip code.

I live in Okinawa Japan so all of those things are out of the question. The point is, they broke something that worked perfectly before. Seems like a simple fix to me.

So this page won't work for you?? http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=26.2124013&lng=127.68093169999997&dist=100

(hint: edit the coordinates in the link to be more precise) - save as a bookmark/favorite

Edited by StarBrand

So this page won't work for you?? http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=26.2124013&lng=127.68093169999997&dist=100

(hint: edit the coordinates in the link to be more precise) - save as a bookmark/favorite

Yes of course that works, but it is not near my house.

If I go to my profile, click on update home location and copy my coordinates N 26° 21.715 E 127° 49.668 and copy/paste them into the home page search engine I get this page: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat_ns=1&lat_h=26&lat_mmss=21.715&long_ew=-1&long_h=127&long_mmss=49.668&dist=100

No results.

If I convert them to decimal format like this 26.3619167°, 127.8278000° and take out the little degrees circle like this 26.3619167, 127.8278000 and them copy/paste that into the home page search engine I get the correct search results: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?origin_lat=26.3619167&origin_long=127.8278000&dist=100

So yes I could save a bookmark for this page but it would be easier for everyone if the site would just auto load the correct coordinates like it used to. Should everyone in the geocaching world have to create a new bookmark on every computer they use or could the website just behave like it used to and fill out the correct coordinates? Which is easier for the user? I think the old way was by far the easiest method. Wouldn't you agree?

If you go to your profile page, on the right hand side there is a heading called "Search Options" and directly under that is says "from your home location" and "filter out finds." You can clik on either of those and they work exactly as the old one on the Home Page used to.

Looks like I was just a little too slow.

Edited by Mental Ellert-ness

If you go to your profile page, on the right hand side there is a heading called "Search Options" and directly under that is says "from your home location" and "filter out finds." You can clik on either of those and they work exactly as the old one on the Home Page used to.

Yes I know but it was much simpler from the main page. Would it really be that hard to add this back to the main page? One click instead of having to go to my profile and then click on the search? Seems less convenient now don't you think?

So yes I could save a bookmark for this page but it would be easier for everyone if the site would just auto load the correct coordinates like it used to. ...

No - I never ever used it. I've found all the caches within 20 miles of my house or I own them. All 50 of them or so. Auto filling my home coords are useless to me.

Yes I know but it was much simpler from the main page. Would it really be that hard to add this back to the main page? One click instead of having to go to my profile and then click on the search? Seems less convenient now don't you think?

This only adds 1 click.

So yes I could save a bookmark for this page but it would be easier for everyone if the site would just auto load the correct coordinates like it used to. ...

No - I never ever used it. I've found all the caches within 20 miles of my house or I own them. All 50 of them or so. Auto filling my home coords are useless to me.

Well I'm sorry that there aren't any good cachers in your area who actually contribute to the game. There is a huge active community here on this small island and we have over 500 cache's with more added almost every day now. So it was extremely easy to just hit a that one little search button.

This only adds 1 click.

But from a server point of view, one click for every visitor adds up. I just think it's dumb that the administrators of the site would take away a perfectly working function from a site for no apparent reason.

Well I'm sorry that there aren't any good cachers in your area who actually contribute to the game. There is a huge active community here on this small island and we have over 500 cache's with more added almost every day now. So it was extremely easy to just hit a that one little search button.

Might have to do with the population of about 4,000 folks in that same radius......

Point I am trying to make is that there are alternate ways to make it easy for you without dumping the feature on those that don't need it.

I think everyone is missing what the OP said. Something was working just fine, for everyone I will add. Groundspeak, in there infinite wisdom, decided to "fix" the front page search. It was just fine before, coordinates already filled out and if you wanted to go somewhere else just type it in.

What is being offered is a bunch of bandaids for Groundspeaks desire to break a perfectly fine, useful and working implementation. But yes, we now have to apply bandaids and jump through hoops with extra clicks and what not to make up for groundspeaks lack of comprehension or arrogance. Why do I have to type extra stuff in or bookmark favorites and use that when it should be right there on the page?

To the OP, I feel your pain and I live in the US. Because Groundspeak fixed this feature I no longer visit the homepage.

Might have to do with the population of about 4,000 folks in that same radius......

Point I am trying to make is that there are alternate ways to make it easy for you without dumping the feature on those that don't need it.

I don't see how autopopulating the search box would hinder anyone. All one would have to do to clear it would be to click the text and start typing just like any other search form.

I think everyone is missing what the OP said. Something was working just fine, for everyone I will add. Groundspeak, in there infinite wisdom, decided to "fix" the front page search. It was just fine before, coordinates already filled out and if you wanted to go somewhere else just type it in.

What is being offered is a bunch of bandaids for Groundspeaks desire to break a perfectly fine, useful and working implementation. But yes, we now have to apply bandaids and jump through hoops with extra clicks and what not to make up for groundspeaks lack of comprehension or arrogance. Why do I have to type extra stuff in or bookmark favorites and use that when it should be right there on the page?

To the OP, I feel your pain and I live in the US. Because Groundspeak fixed this feature I no longer visit the homepage.

Thanks for your support jholly. At least someone gets my point.

I'm agreement with both sides here. I did like the easy one click button right there on the home page after logging in that brought up my closest to home.

However, if I can't have that, then let me log in to my account, then click on my username / profile up there in the top right and let that option be available on my main profile page.

And guess what it is! When you get to your profile page on the right side about one little scroll down with the mouse you will find: "Search for nearest geocaches from your home location (filter out finds)"

And presto, there you go!

India has an estimated population of 1.21 billion people and a total of 161 active caches.

Personally, I use the "Search for nearest geocaches from your home location (filter out finds)" link most often when I want to do a quick search of caches relative to my home location (though I use pocket queries for downloading caches to my GPS) and a search based upon the town in which I live produces a pretty small list (especially if I exclude caches that I have found). However, I can understand the OPs concern, especially if it was functionality that was available prior to the latest update. I suspect that there are a *lot* of geocachers that live in large cities where a search based upon a city name or zipcode is not going to produce optimal results.

I didn't understood what is the problem. Searching by home coordinates worked for me before the update, and it still works.

Before the update I clicked "hide and seek a cache", fill in my home coordinates (have them autofilled) and click search.

Now I click Play -> Hide and seek a cache, select "by coordinates", fill in my home coordinates (the browser remembered the values) and click search. No issues.

If I go to my profile, click on update home location and copy my coordinates N 26° 21.715 E 127° 49.668 and copy/paste them into the home page search engine I get this page: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat_ns=1&lat_h=26&lat_mmss=21.715&long_ew=-1&long_h=127&long_mmss=49.668&dist=100

No results.

The problem is, you selected western instead of eastern hemisphere - the wrong coordinates are in the Pacific ocean. The correct page is http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=26.361917&lng=127.8278&ex=0&cFilter=9a79e6ce-3344-409c-bbe9-496530baf758&children=n or http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat_ns=1&lat_h=26&lat_mmss=21.715&long_ew=1&long_h=127&long_mmss=49.668&dist=100

I don't understand why you're doing this copy/paste thing. Just go to your profile page, and on the right, about halfway down, is a link to "Search for nearest geocaches from your home location" with a nice icon next to it that makes it easy to find map_it.gif

Lil Devil. Have you read any of the posts. I have said multiple times that I know how to find my nearest caches in the way you suggested. Please read forum posts before you reply.

Dj Storm. Your post makes no sense. I didn't select any hemisphere. That is what happens when you copy and paste your home coordinates into the search menu.

For anyone else posting

I Know how to find my caches by going to my profile and clicking "from your home location".

The point is a functionality was lost from the homepage. Luckily this is already under review by the Groundspeak lackeys thanks to jholly!

See this link: http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1785795-missing-home-coordinate-search?ref=comments

I'm glad that this is under review by Groundspeak, and I hope they fix it. Many of us here, however, usually prefer to work around a problem if possible, because - from past experience - Groundspeak may not agree it is a problem, or may take some time to deliver a fix.

I'm curious about why you go to the home page of geocaching.com instead of your profile page, though. I'm not saying you shouldn't, or that it is wrong, I just wonder why this is so. You are certainly not the first person I've come across who says they go to the home page instead of profile page, but I've been unable to get an answer from them.

An answer of "I just prefer it that way" is perfectly fine. I think it is more efficient for me to go directly to the profile page, that's all.

No, it's still there. Look in the lower left hand corner of the homepage. It says-find my location and you can search.

No, it's still there. Look in the lower left hand corner of the homepage. It says-find my location and you can search.

When I first bring up the homepage I see the link, but by the time I move the mouse to click on it, it disappears. Golly! Glad you all mentioned finding the option from the profile page, I guess I'll be doing that from now on!

I'm glad that this is under review by Groundspeak, and I hope they fix it. Many of us here, however, usually prefer to work around a problem if possible, because - from past experience - Groundspeak may not agree it is a problem, or may take some time to deliver a fix.

I'm curious about why you go to the home page of geocaching.com instead of your profile page, though. I'm not saying you shouldn't, or that it is wrong, I just wonder why this is so. You are certainly not the first person I've come across who says they go to the home page instead of profile page, but I've been unable to get an answer from them.

An answer of "I just prefer it that way" is perfectly fine. I think it is more efficient for me to go directly to the profile page, that's all.

The reason I search from the home page is that I type in www.geocaching.com and if my browser remembers that I'm signed in, I can just hit search. :)

I believe they must have just added this back this morning when they did another update, same time they removed the transparency on the cache pages. Thanks for pointing this out. At least it is a step forward!

The reason I search from the home page is that I type in www.geocaching.com and if my browser remembers that I'm signed in, I can just hit search. :)

Do you use Firefox? I'm not sure if other browsers has the same feature, but Firefox allows you to assign keywords to a URL.

I bookmarked "http://www.geocaching.com/my" (actually, it is on my bookmarks toolbar) and assign the keyword "gc" to it. If I type "gc" into my address bar, it automatically brings me there.

You can assign "gc" to the homepage (or any other page) if you want to. Much fewer keystrokes to get to where you want to go, if you type in the URL.

All that is, of course, secondary to the fact that Groundspeak broke something that used to work, and ideally it should be fixed. However, their current policy seems to be that unless it is a critical bug, it will only get fixed at the monthly rollout.

My browser remembers www.geocaching.com/my...which brings me to my profile page. You could make an argument for putting a search box on the "Your Profile" page, but even without it, I prefer the profile page over the main home page. From the profile page I'm just one click away from a search box, list of caches/trackables I own, the pocket queries page, bookmarks, my public profile pages, etc. etc.