Non FTF logging

because I know some will go out of their way to go grab the cache if they think the FTF is still available.

I've never gotten a FTF but you just gave me a great idea. I'm going to log a false, "found it" so none of the FTFer's go for it, then I'm going to go for FTF.

Can someone tell me what is a proper time to log your FTF

IMHO, the proper time to log your FTF the same as the proper time to log any other find.

I log all my finds (including FTFs) the same: as soon as it's convenient. Occasionally, that's within an hour of the find. Often, it's the same day. Usually, it's within a week. So far, it's always been within a month.

But I know people who are months behind in their online logs, and I know other people who never log their finds online.

I've never gotten a FTF but you just gave me a great idea. I'm going to log a false, "found it" so none of the FTFer's go for it, then I'm going to go for FTF.

Hmm. That might work sometimes, but I think it would not help all that much.

There are some roadside caches that can be found within about 20 minutes of being published, so you might be caught in the lie by someone who runs right out.

I saw one recently that went four days before being found because it requires walking in the woods for about 30 minutes, and it was published on Tuesday and was found on Saturday by someone who was headed that way anyway. FTF seems to be about the immediate race, so after a few days, it's no longer hot.

I know when I see a published cache, if I can't get there in the next 30 minutes, I just forget about it. I assume someone else will get there first.

If I get beat there, I'll probably see the paper log long before the online log is posted. So it doesn't bother me that it takes some time for the FTF person to log it.

Usually I don't go for the FTF, unless I already happen to be in the right area or whatever. It's not worth it to me to go put my shoes on.

Is there an official FTF score sheet somewhere like the find count?

Yes, but it's only available for Platinum Members. :ph34r:

I drive for a living and don't always have time to write the log I'd like to write when I first find a cache. If I can, I always log a courtesy "Found it. Better log to follow" when I am FTF and don't have time to type up a decent log. That tells others that they need not rush out to find it, and it gives me time to write something decent when I do get home or to my layover point.

I've been fortunate in combining caching and work in that I've logged caches in five states while on layovers.

Can someone tell me what is a proper time to log your FTF, we have someone who waits at least 1 day, maybe two days before he logs his FTF and people will drive long distance for it only to find out he was there 2 days ago! What is proper time to log, and please donot say 2 days when he is at the computer all day long!

If someone else's logging practice bothers you, then it's time to find something else to do. ANYTIME you go after a FTF, you risk being NOT first. I don't care what anyone else says about ettiquate, I will log a cache when I am good and ready.

It doesnt matter that they are not active players. They were the first to put there hands on it. You were 2nd! I have a couple of FTF and I still dont get what all the hoopla is! Big deal if Im the 50th to find its all about the experiance (spell) isnt it?

I agree, it is about the experience on most caches. However, a LPC in the Winn-Dixie parking lot doesn't offer much of an experience, so the FTF race is very appealling in that instance.

Can someone tell me what is a proper time to log your FTF, we have someone who waits at least 1 day, maybe two days before he logs his FTF and people will drive long distance for it only to find out he was there 2 days ago! What is proper time to log, and please donot say 2 days when he is at the computer all day long!

There is no "proper time to log" any cache. Like I said earlier, I'll write a courtesy log after a FTF, but that's just it a courtesy. I always head out for a FTF thinking I wont get it so when I don't it is not that big a deal :grin: .

Edited by GeoGerms

If you want to get there first, make sure you

1) have an iphone/blackberry on you that can automatically notify you when a cache is published. make sure it's waterproof so you can take it in the shower too.

2) leave your car keys in the ignition, with the door open and a full tank of gas...cause you never know

3) train for it. perhaps you weren't fast enough? running daily and working with a personal trainer will help

4) if all else fails, bring a rubber mallet to knock the FTF on the head as they leave the area and also a spare blank logbook to swap with the original

Just my suggestions. Feel free to take what works for you and leave the rest behind.

It's really much simpler than that. Just go to South Dakota and wait for a new cache to be published.

Take your time.

Or like some you know who is about to submit caches and be there when they are published. Or create a fake account and put them out yourself.

:laughing:

Edited by jellis