Non FTF logging

I cannot understand why someone who was FTF would not log it. We found two caches that had both had logs signed as an FTF. However, there has never been a posting on the sight to indicate that the had ever been found. We were looking for an opportunity to get our first Mo. FTF's at these two caches..But they had been found and the log signed...If they are never posted on site, do they really count as FTF's?? OR, are we the second to find, first and only ones to POST reallythe true FTFs??

FTF and 2 quarters will get you a pop from the machine over on main street.

FTF is a fact - the first person to locate the cache and sign the log by whatever means is at hand. It is not an award or something - just a fact. Many cachers never log any finds online but that just does not change the fact that somebody got there and signed the log before you.

As a bonus - just the 2 quarters work just as well for that pop. (John in Valley Forge to prove me wrong)

I cannot understand why someone who was FTF would not log it. We found two caches that had both had logs signed as an FTF. However, there has never been a posting on the sight to indicate that the had ever been found. We were looking for an opportunity to get our first Mo. FTF's at these two caches..But they had been found and the log signed...If they are never posted on site, do they really count as FTF's?? OR, are we the second to find, first and only ones to POST reallythe true FTFs??

If someone else signed the log first, then you aren't the first to find. Right?

You're obviously NOT the FIRST to find the cache, as evidenced by the signatures in the log book.

There's no requirement to log finds or did not finds on the cache page. That's up to the indidual. Some people are in it for the fun, not for the numbers or for the FTF's.

You CAN claim First to Log On-line, if you actually are the FTLO and it makes you happier.

:omnomnom:

You're obviously NOT the FIRST to find the cache, as evidenced by the signatures in the log book.

There's no requirement to log finds or did not finds on the cache page. That's up to the indidual. Some people are in it for the fun, not for the numbers or for the FTF's.

You CAN claim First to Log On-line, if you actually are the FTLO and it makes you happier.

Ok ya'll I stand corrected (actually I'm sitting) but you know what I mean...It just kinda irritated me to have spent 3 hrs tripping through the woods only to find that we were # 2! Enjoyed the hunt, and it was a great day for a walk!

Ok ya'll I stand corrected (actually I'm sitting) but you know what I mean...It just kinda irritated me to have spent 3 hrs tripping through the woods only to find that we were # 2! Enjoyed the hunt, and it was a great day for a walk!

Thats the entire point of the FTF game...you need to be the FTF. Sometimes you are and sometime you aren't. If I got a FTF n the way to work and didn't log until I got home I'm still the FTF. Hopefully u snag the next one!

As a bonus - just the 2 quarters work just as well for that pop. (John in Valley Forge to prove me wrong)
Actually, that was me.
so, inside the bank?

(MAN, I love the Internet!)

Ok ok - so I was half a block off - (at least it didn't point to the Rocking Hourse Lounge....)

Try These.....

Hrm...

Upon detailed analysis of the picture, it would appear the price has gone up:

0cf9d2e9-9587-4c0b-bad7-c792ff28dd36.jpg

FTF and 2 quarters will get a pop at the vending machine down on Main street. As a real bonus - just the 2 quarters will do. :)
It just kinda irritated me to have spent 3 hrs tripping through the woods only to find that we were # 2! Enjoyed the hunt, and it was a great day for a walk!
Glad you didn't meet the FTF coming back out the trail, you mighta mugged 'em for it! Honestly, what's the difference between finding out the FTF was there a while ago vs finding out they were just there? In either case, the result is the same.

would you feel better if they logged online? not only some people don;t log online but some log late, the fact that is no log online when you leave home doesn't mean anything, so get used to the idea that you may not be first and enjoy the adventure

we used to make runs for FTF, but the main reason was hoping to run into the other hounds, which would mean that we'll have a nice geochat afterward

...If they are never posted on site, do they really count as FTF's?? OR, are we the second to find, first and only ones to POST reallythe true FTFs??

Well that was a nice try on your part but YES they still count just because they never post them online does not mean you were the FTF. They got there first signed the log they are FTF.

Scubasonic

Well if it irritates you to not get the FTF, maybe you should not play that extension of the Geocaching game.

Scubasonic

would you feel better if they logged online? not only some people don;t log online but some log late, the fact that is no log online when you leave home doesn't mean anything, so get used to the idea that you may not be first and enjoy the adventure

we used to make runs for FTF, but the main reason was hoping to run into the other hounds, which would mean that we'll have a nice geochat afterward

Actually these were found last week....had I known that, I'da looked for some elsewhere!! And, I'm waving the white flag, I surrender..y'all are right!

Edited by Jim McDonald

I'm sorry but you answered your own question. The online log here doesn't even enter into the equation. They signed the logs they are FTF!

Actually these were found last week....had I known that, I'da looked for some elsewhere!! And, I'm waving the white flag, I surrender..y'all are right!

I enjoy FTF's if I get them. If a new cache close to me gets published while I'm away from the computer and I see that noone has "found" it yet, I might try for the FTF but I always leave the house thinking that someone else has found it but hasn't logged it yet. If I get to the cache and find I'm FTF, I'm thrilled...if not, I don't get deflated since I expected another name in the log.

You can log your finds and still be in it for fun and not the numbers.

Absolutely! I get the idea of just going out and finding caches while remaining a ghost player. A big part of the fun, for me, is relating the experience to other cachers by logging my finds/DNF's.

If you want to get there first, make sure you

1) have an iphone/blackberry on you that can automatically notify you when a cache is published. make sure it's waterproof so you can take it in the shower too.

2) leave your car keys in the ignition, with the door open and a full tank of gas...cause you never know

3) train for it. perhaps you weren't fast enough? running daily and working with a personal trainer will help

4) if all else fails, bring a rubber mallet to knock the FTF on the head as they leave the area and also a spare blank logbook to swap with the original

Just my suggestions. Feel free to take what works for you and leave the rest behind.

1) have an iphone/blackberry on you that can automatically notify you when a cache is published. make sure it's waterproof so you can take it in the shower too.

2) leave your car keys in the ignition, with the door open and a full tank of gas...cause you never know

3) train for it. perhaps you weren't fast enough? running daily and working with a personal trainer will help

4) if all else fails, bring a rubber mallet to knock the FTF on the head as they leave the area and also a spare blank logbook to swap with the original

Just my suggestions. Feel free to take what works for you and leave the rest behind.

Hilarious! 100% true, too.

Carry spare logs. That way, when you're 2nd, you can remove the log with the REAL FTF signatures, place yours with YOUR signature on the FTF line, and VOILA! No one will ever know, because the actual FTFs don't log anyway.

It really is the perfect crime...

Since the FTF is bogus, you can claim whatever you want.

I did a cache where a hiking family had come across the container. Clearly they were not cachers -- they signed the log with their full names, and mentioned "We stopped for lunch and happened to find this thing." They never logged the cache online.

I still claim it as one of my FTFs since I was the first cacher to Find it. And, you know what, it doesn't make one once of difference. If I didn't tell the story here no one would ever question whether or not that FTF is "legit" or not.

If a cache owner allows his/her friends to beta test a cache, or sign at the same time he/she hides the cache and then I come along and find it, I don't count that as a FTF.

If I am with a group of cachers and I am not the first one to spot the cache then I won't claim it as a FTF.

As you can tell, I have my own set of rules for what I count as a FTF. No one besides me cares and even I don't care. :laughing:

3h hike through the woods? Sounds like a fun cache! Who knows, maybe it will qualify for a local "lonely cache" challange.

Maybe they just haven't got around to posting it online yet. Maybe they'll do one of those evil cut and paste thingies and say they hit a bunch while out on vacation or some such?

Hope no evil do'er takes out their swiss army knife and cuts off the ftf part and walks away with it...

Would it have irritated you less if the FTF found it just before you? Would you have enjoyed the cache more if the FTF had logged it online by the time you returned home? If so, why?

Would it have irritated you less if the FTF found it just before you? Would you have enjoyed the cache more if the FTF had logged it online by the time you returned home? If so, why?

I think he indicated that if the FTF had logged online, he wouldn't hav done that cache. The way I see it, good thing the FTF didn't log online or the OP would have missed a great hike!

I think he indicated that if the FTF had logged online, he wouldn't hav done that cache. The way I see it, good thing the FTF didn't log online or the OP would have missed a great hike!

That was actually one of my points. In both of my examples, the FTF would not have logged the cache prior to the OP looking for it. It really doesn't matter if he logged it one second after the OP looked at it or never got around to logging, at all. Edited by sbell111

I was FTF on 2 new caches last week. I found them both on my way to go kayaking. After my paddle trip, I didn't log for a couple of days. By the time I had logged, another cacher had found them both and claimed FTF on both. I posted my log and emailed him and informed him that I was FTF. He said that he didn't see my sig, and since an FTF log hadn't been posted that he thought he was FTF. Then he said that I should have logged my caches as soon as I found them. My response...I log when I see fit, not when you say I should.

Since the FTF is bogus, you can claim whatever you want.

I did a cache where a hiking family had come across the container. Clearly they were not cachers -- they signed the log with their full names, and mentioned "We stopped for lunch and happened to find this thing." They never logged the cache online.

I still claim it as one of my FTFs since I was the first cacher to Find it. And, you know what, it doesn't make one once of difference.

As you can tell, I have my own set of rules for what I count as a FTF. No one besides me cares and even I don't care. :laughing:

Yep pretty clear you do play by your own rules, and your right we really don't care. But thanks for letting us know that you cheat on FTFs.

Scubasonic

But thanks for letting us know that you cheat on FTFs.

How can you cheat on FTF?

I think it had to do with the fact that they found a cache after a non-cacher found it, yet still claimed a FTF. (Cuz they were the first "cacher" to find it, and non-cachers don't count).

(edit for typos)

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

But thanks for letting us know that you cheat on FTFs.

How can you cheat on FTF?

I think it had to do with the fact that they found a cache after a non-cacher found it, yet still claimed a FTF. (Cuz they were the first "cacher" to find it, and non-cachers don't count).

(edit for typos)

But where did they claim that FTF? I thought FTF was something you kept up with for yourself. Is there an official FTF score sheet somewhere like the find count?

It's really much simpler than that. Just go to South Dakota and wait for a new cache to be published.

Take your time.

I love FTF's. My better half doesn't care about them at all. She never logs her finds (unless its a challenge or she snags a TB). If Im the STF then I am STF. No biggie. We are pretty new at this but I keep seeing threads of fellow cachers who get really upset about non loggers. Its a game/great hobby...have fun!

There is no guideline or rule that requires any finder to log said find online. If you choose to play the FTF game you are always subject to the possibility that the cache has been found and not logged online. Glad to read the OP had the opportunity to enjoy a nice hike. :)

Glad you didn't meet the FTF coming back out the trail, you mighta mugged 'em for it! Honestly, what's the difference between finding out the FTF was there a while ago vs finding out they were just there? In either case, the result is the same.

Ah. Once upon a time I took the afternoon off to look for a mystery cache that had been published the previous evening. On the way back out from my FTF, I met a fellow with a GPS in his hand. I said "Found it." The glare I got! If looks could kill, I'd be a dead dolphin! His log was something like "Met Harry Dolphin. I knew I should have gone looking at midnight!"

There is no guideline or rule that requires any finder to log said find online.

I agree, but there is a vocal group that believes otherwise.

Yep. And they are whiners who have a strange sense of entitlement.:anibad:

Too bad your original post was edited.

There is no guideline or rule that requires any finder to log said find online. If you choose to play the FTF game you are always subject to the possibility that the cache has been found and not logged online. Glad to read the OP had the opportunity to enjoy a nice hike. :)

in my case, adding this one

5) not only have your shoes, socks and coat on at all times, if you are in charge of your 2 old, make sure he/she has their socks, shoes and coat on at all times as well (unless its warm enough to not need a coat) because those will slow you down too.

in my case, adding this one

5) not only have your shoes, socks and coat on at all times, if you are in charge of your 2 old, make sure he/she has their socks, shoes and coat on at all times as well (unless its warm enough to not need a coat) because those will slow you down too.

How bout this:

6) tape your phone to your ear while you sleep so you can get notified.

Ughh..think my tooth came out... :ph34r:

I understand your disappointment.

I've arrived at a scene of a first to find, hoping to be first, only to find a signature on the log. :(

But it happens the other way too.

Last week I waited at the scene to meet the locals at the site of one I was FTF on.

Finally someone showed up. I greeted him with a big grin and hello. I am always happy to meet locals.

He, however, did not return the smile and was not so happy to see me.

STF happens.

I know how you feel.

I always try to log as fast as possible after getting a FTF. I know some can't, but I usually do it on my phone while sitting in the car near GZ. A courtesy log, a simple "found it", because I know some will go out of their way to go grab the cache if they think the FTF is still available.

Cache with Aloha

GeoGerms

Carry spare logs. That way, when you're 2nd, you can remove the log with the REAL FTF signatures, place yours with YOUR signature on the FTF line, and VOILA! No one will ever know, because the actual FTFs don't log anyway.

It really is the perfect crime...

Not quite a perfect crime. A few people post pictures of the log and their FTF signature.

It doesnt matter that they are not active players. They were the first to put there hands on it. You were 2nd! I have a couple of FTF and I still dont get what all the hoopla is! Big deal if Im the 50th to find its all about the experiance (spell) isnt it?

Edited by Rayvan43

Can someone tell me what is a proper time to log your FTF, we have someone who waits at least 1 day, maybe two days before he logs his FTF and people will drive long distance for it only to find out he was there 2 days ago! What is proper time to log, and please donot say 2 days when he is at the computer all day long!

Can someone tell me what is a proper time to log your FTF, we have someone who waits at least 1 day, maybe two days before he logs his FTF and people will drive long distance for it only to find out he was there 2 days ago! What is proper time to log, and please donot say 2 days when he is at the computer all day long!

When ever the person who found it decides they want to log it (or not) is exactly the right time to log it. That may be an hour, week, year or maybe not at all.