Help with download of LOC file

I am trying to get my computer to recognize the file extentions loc and gpx. But can't figure out how to make it work. When I click the links about it I end up at a site that wants to clean my computer for a fee. Is there a download that I download to be able to open those links with out having to pay for it. I am a premium member and want to be able to take advantage of the things I can download to my garmin 60csx. I bought the garmin used and am new at this. Appreciate any assistance you can provide.

You need a program that understands .loc files (and .gpx files). There are many of those programs available. Since you are using a Garmin I suggest you download BaseCamp from the Garmin website. You need at least Windows XP with SP 3 for it. In case you have a Mac you can download BaseCamp here.

Once you installed it you can import .loc files into it and then send them to your Garmin. You can also receive information (tracks) from your Garmin. BaseCamp (and many other programs) are way more useful with maps for the region you are geocaching in. You have to decide whether you buy maps form Garmin or use free maps from other sources (like GPS File Depot.

Have fun out there!

Manfred

Edited by Orienteering