What happened to the Geocaching site?

I feel someone really fouled-up the Geocaching site. I thought it was working fine and now it is much smaller type/print, many added steps to do what I used to in just one or two, other problems. Now it takes much to long to load data to handheld. Give me back the old site.

I feel someone really fouled-up the Geocaching site. I thought it was working fine and now it is much smaller type/print, many added steps to do what I used to in just one or two, other problems. Now it takes much to long to load data to handheld. Give me back the old site.

what many added steps and what "other problems"? please elaborate

if you think the site was fine you obviously haven't spent much time on it in the last few weeks

Amen to Mutt&Bob. The new map system is not nearly as useful either.

so use the old one

I am using the old maps most of the time now. Can't get bubbles to come up on new maps most of the time, can't tell if there are trackables in the cache if you do get the bubble up, can't load directly to gps from the bubble. The icons for the new maps as to type of cache is not as nice, disabled caches are not marked, etc etc etc. I am praying they fix all these bugs soon as I have some travels coming up and would like the features back. I load gps out on the road as we never know where we are going next for sure. Drive into a McDonalds or Bob Evans Parking lot, fire up the computer and load a few caches for that area. Now its a pain to do that on the new maps. I am keeping my fingers crossed for more "improvements".

Well the fact of the matter is that every time you change something people have been using a lot there are always complaints. We are creatures of habit. We get used to what we're used to and don't like change.

It seems to be a part of human nature.

I recently got a Garmin Oregon 400T that does paperless caching and Wherigo and so much more than my old bottom-of-the-line Garmin used to do.

At first when I got it I hated it because it was not what I'm used to. I wanted my old machine back.

Now I'm used to it of course i love it. It is so much more superior than my old one!!!

We'll get used to the new site and wonder how we ever functioned on the old one.

Well the fact of the matter is that every time you change something people have been using a lot there are always complaints. We are creatures of habit. We get used to what we're used to and don't like change.

I recently got a Garmin Oregon 400T that does paperless caching and Wherigo and so much more than my old bottom-of-the-line Garmin used to do.

At first when I got it I hated it because it was not what I'm used to. I wanted my old machine back.

Now I'm used to it of course i love it. It is so much more superior than my old one!!!

We'll get used to the new site and wonder how we ever functioned on the old one.

We call that New Server Syndrome (or New Whatever-Peice-Of-Technology-You-Just-Bought- Syndrome).

There were a *lot* of broken things, not just changed things. Things are still broken, the fixed format is horrid. Most of the complaints in the release note thread was not I hate the new site, it was I hate all the things that worked that are not broken. A lot of people are really upset that their cache pages are basically thrash because GS changed the CSS. I really don't think that is getting use to a new format. Sorry, I don't agree with your assessment.

I don't like the new maps. I don't like that the bubblrs don't pop up all the time and I don't like that you can't load from the bubbls. Since they changed sites my Delorme will only load ten caches. when I try to load any more it deletes one. maybe that is coincidence, but it didn't happen 2 days ago.

You should point that out in the release notes thread. Not sure if the lackeys are paying much attention here.

Since they changed sites my Delorme will only load ten caches. when I try to load any more it deletes one. maybe that is coincidence, but it didn't happen 2 days ago.

your Delorme doesn't know there is a new site, its behavior is totally unrelated

So far there are three things I really dislike:

1) You can no longer search by GC number.

2) The location search does not default to your home location.

and the most important--

3) The maps no longer come with a numberable list of the caches shown on the map! This makes printing out an overview map of a new area REALLY tedious! This is true even if you choose the "old maps" option. Bleeeeech!

So far there are three things I really dislike:

1) You can no longer search by GC number.

the same search page, including search by GC code is available in this version

Hide and Seek A Geocache

2) The location search does not default to your home location.

i am having a hard time understanding what you're referring to there

I'm not against change.

I realize that given a little time I'll get to like the look and feel of the new site (after the many bugs are killed)

BUT I shouldn't have to navigate around so much to use the map. Seems that the map is the most important part of the site, so why am I forced to return to the home page, and input some search criteria into the search box, go to a second page, and then go to the map. Why can't there be a link availabe in the menu (thus all pages) that takes me to the map, and starts with my home coords?

I'm not against change.

I realize that given a little time I'll get to like the look and feel of the new site (after the many bugs are killed)

BUT I shouldn't have to navigate around so much to use the map. Seems that the map is the most important part of the site, so why am I forced to return to the home page, and input some search criteria into the search box, go to a second page, and then go to the map. Why can't there be a link availabe in the menu (thus all pages) that takes me to the map, and starts with my home coords?

huh?...the map link its where its always been, at least the one i always used

on one page just one click away

it amazes me how many people complain about lost features of the old site, when actually they don't even know all the features that the old site had, which are actually in the same spot on this new version :laughing:

MAP.jpg

Edited by t4e

All the posts that say more or less "some people just don't like change" are really missing the point.

A rather large number of posters have pointed out specific features that have indeed gone missing; have pointed out new features that are utterly worthless and a waste of space; have pointed out new features that are not merely buggy, but ill-conceived and poorly planned.

Yes, some posters have overlooked features, or not given new ones a fair chance. But a far larger number of posters have made very valid points, and nobody appears to be listening.

To name one, I think it is entirely valid to mention that the scrolling list of recent caches, found in far-off countries, is not relevant for most users; and many users are simply saying that they personally don't find it useful.

Missing features include the list stating the names, and total number of caches shown on the google maps for PQs. I and many other users found that very useful, and far quicker than using the map to navigate to one cache after another, and then using multiple clicks to open the individual caches. Other complaints mentioned by a large number of posters: the poor visual aspect of the beta maps; the large expanses of blank space on many pages, and the format changes that have destroyed the appearance of a great many cache listings.

Those are just a few examples; and they are being discussed in other threads in more detail; but it is apparent that a great many users have thought about these changes, have honestly tried out the new features, and are not happy.

That doesn't really help anybody, just saying "go back to the old one" isn't the way to proceed. EXACTLY what extra steps do you have to go through.

I just went to the geocaching map feature and was sad that you don't have the caches listed beside the map like you had in the outdated version. It was so easy to print the page with map and list of geocaches so that you had a handy map to see all the caches in that area. It has helped newbies visualize how many and where caches are. I also miss the left toolbar but will get used to the drop down tabs - one more step to get where I want to go. When I go into the Groundspeak store, besides backtracking, how do I get back to www.geocaching.com? It would be nice to have a link getting me back to the main site from any page. Besides that, thanks for making geocaching so easy, it is such a fun sport. I am grateful for all the energy that goes into making this site work.

I agree with respect to the 'much smaller type/print.

Cache descriptions look crippled now, as well as GSAK statistics, maps etc.

Please make the pages 'wider (850 px instead of the about 630 px it is now)' again, we are not using 13'' screens anymore.

I don't really mind the new site but have discovered a really annoying flaw.

I am in Australia, and my personal settings are set to Sydney time GMT+10. I have found that because the server is aday behind us ( for most of the day) I am now unable to make my logs show the correct date. Today (the 6th here) I was logging and it defaulted to the 5th (the server time). I changed it to the 6th and it showed an error stating that I was unable to put in a date in the future. Does this mean all my logs will now be a day behind?

Surely, as this is a worldwide hobby, the new website should be able to cater for all the different timezones. The old one did. Any way of rectifying this?

i have to agree that the new site is poor in comparison to the old site. the old site allowed changing to tracking travel bugs, go to gc's and other options without problem. it was a much more intuitive site.

the lastest and greatest is not always the greatest. i feel the change was made for the worst and those who made the change are unwilling to admit their mistake.

dave bear