Documentation of Live API

There's no public API.

Yet...

Ground speak has said that there will be one, but that was several months ago with no further word.

My guess is the API had to wait until this week's database change occurred. Once this migration settles down, I bet we'll hear word about API's, nano category, favorite point info in GPX files, and other database related changes.

There's no public API.

Yet...

Ground speak has said that there will be one, but that was several months ago with no further word.

My guess is the API had to wait until this week's database change occurred. Once this migration settles down, I bet we'll hear word about API's, nano category, favorite point info in GPX files, and other database related changes.

Lets hope!

There's no public API.

Yet...

No, they said there'd be an API for a select few developers. That's not exactly public.

There's no public API.

Yet...

No, they said there'd be an API for a select few developers. That's not exactly public.

Is that what they said? I wasn't really paying attention. I do know there already is one for "a select few developers". You know, like GeoMate Jr., and Geocache Navigator by Trimble, made famous by "logged from my mobile device". :lol:

I also know a European developer I follow on Twitter recently blogged about being allowed to be a "BETA tester" (his words) of the API. But English isn't his first language, and I didn't really understand what he was talking about. :huh:

I still don't think it's gonna be really public. I hope to be proven wrong though.

I suspect your somewhat right in that not anyone at anytime can cut some code and use the API. I suspect you will have to at least contact GC and get a user and/or session key in order to use them. I think the other site does that and google did that with the V2 maps. Google was pretty free since it was a web based sign up and my impression is that the other site is pretty free with the keys. I don't see it as a bad thing, it does give them some traceability. The bad thing is that if GC has a very onerous process then it is not public. Time will tell, but some how I don't think the time is very near.

I'd like to support the Live API with my CacheMe geocaching application. As i am supporting pretty exactly those operating systems that the official apps don't (Symbian, Maemo5, MeeGo) i think this wouldn't interfere with groundspeaks own efforts.

Where can i get such documentation?

I think your best bet is to contact Groundspeak directly and tell them what you're doing and that you'd like to be a part of the program.

From the feedback page:

A Update: We are currently in the process of testing the API with approximately 20 developers, including many of the applications and services requested in the feedback comments below. Ideally, these API enabled applications will be available for launch within the next 30-45 days.
Edited by kpanko

From the feedback page:

A Update: We are currently in the process of testing the API with approximately 20 developers, including many of the applications and services requested in the feedback comments below. Ideally, these API enabled applications will be available for launch within the next 30-45 days.

I would really like to know what 20 developers those are. Maybe that would explain Tom's (developer of GCzII) silence.

Please Groundspeak release this already!!!!!

There are apps out there that are done with development on the new API (using the staging server) and just waiting for release. I understand that the latest versions of your apps are already using the API. Why is not available to other apps yet?

Done venting. Thank you for listening.

+1

Me too, me too! Up here in the Great White North, summer is but a blip between pothole season and 'time to get the parka out' season... with 'road construction' season overlapping all three. Be nice to use data that wasn't 6 months old..... :)

Cheers!