Couple of questions about the 62S

First, let me start by saying I have read several reviews about the 62S. None of them answer my questions.

1. Is the 60S faster than the 60CSX or the Oregon when opening menus, searching etc? Does it have a faster processor?

2. How many Geocaches can be loaded on this at once? I have seen conflicting answers on this.

Thanks very much!

Can't help you on 1.

2. Holds 5,000 geocaches or 200 GPX files...whichever limit you hit first. So, if you load caches one at a time you'll only get 200 geocaches on there. If you use Pocket Queries of 1,000 each (assuming there is no overlap between them) you could fit 5 PQs for a total of 5,000 geocaches.

Helping you on 1) (Based on my experience)

Yes and no, it depends on what you have loaded on the unit. If you have a simple topo or street map and not much more, the processing is lightning fast. But when you begin to load topo's with terrain shading, BirdsEye images, and more custom maps, and enable topo's over BirdsEye, the unit can actually be about on par as the 60CSX draw speed.

With the latest firmware updates the find/search by spelling function became extremely slow for me and some features on the map screen such as selecting a map point to view it's information also became very slow.

You'll have people tell you that the 62 is super fast and, with what they have loaded as far as maps, they are probably correct. For me, with all of my custom maps, citynav, 24K Topo's with terrain shading (DEM), and over 200 Birdseye files, I perceive the processor as under-powered at times. Even with a 16GB class 4 SD card it takes my unit over 2 minutes to start up.

SHORT ANSWER: Depends on your use.

Edited by yogazoo

Helping you on 1) (Based on my experience)

Yes and no, it depends on what you have loaded on the unit. If you have a simple topo or street map and not much more, the processing is lightning fast. But when you begin to load topo's with terrain shading, BirdsEye images, and more custom maps, and enable topo's over BirdsEye, the unit can actually be about on par as the 60CSX draw speed.

With the latest firmware updates the find/search by spelling function became extremely slow for me and some features on the map screen such as selecting a map point to view it's information also became very slow.

You'll have people tell you that the 62 is super fast and, with what they have loaded as far as maps, they are probably correct. For me, with all of my custom maps, citynav, 24K Topo's with terrain shading (DEM), and over 200 Birdseye files, I perceive the processor as under-powered at times. Even with a 16GB class 4 SD card it takes my unit over 2 minutes to start up.

SHORT ANSWER: Depends on your use.

Thanks for the help guys! just what I was looking for!!

Can't help you on 1.

2. Holds 5,000 geocaches or 200 GPX files...whichever limit you hit first. So, if you load caches one at a time you'll only get 200 geocaches on there. If you use Pocket Queries of 1,000 each (assuming there is no overlap between them) you could fit 5 PQs for a total of 5,000 geocaches.

I can see if you load individual caches one at a time as a .gpx file how you can hold only 200. But what about loading them one at a time with the send to GPS feature. That sends it as a typical waypoint so you should be able to 5000 caches on it right?