COOL NEW USER STATS PAGE

TEAM 360

Think the layout is excellent. I was worried this morning that everything was running slow but all of a sudden the stats pages changed to the new ones and I could see what had happened!

A total is the only thing missing.

Thanks for all the great improvements lately.

Sallies

icon_smile.gif

It's really nice. I agree with a having the total somewhere to make it easier to notice when you or others are approaching "milestone" caches.

Maybe the total could be on the first page of the profile to eliminate one click.

Janine of Cacheola Crew

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geocaching-HamptonRoadsVA/join

"You have brains in your head; You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own. And you know what you know.

And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...."

Dr. Seuss

As long as I'm wishing, Jeremy, I feel the totals should be listed on the "Profile" page as well as the User Stats. That way I can bookmark my friends and myself and get totals as fast as I used to.

I like to quickly compare how I'm doing aginst others.

If there's anything I can do to make this happen, please let me know.

-John

I love the breakdown. Excellent improvement!

Ditto on the need for a total for all cache types, keeping it separate from the benchmark and "dog tag" totals. Perhaps placing this total on the first page to avoid the extra click?

As a previous post mentioned, perhaps you could have the number of traditional caches be a link to a list of the traditional caches, etc... That might be a cool feature.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I want to see a sunrise, I'll STAY up for it!

quote:
Originally posted by CacheUsOut:

I love the breakdown. Excellent improvement!

As a previous post mentioned, perhaps you could have the number of traditional caches be a link to a list of the traditional caches, etc... That might be a cool feature.

Click on the icon and it takes you to a list of the caches the person did in that catagory.

Way Kewl!!!!! Love the new format, if totals have to include locationless I would rather not see them and just leave it the way it is. Great work!!!!!

Rusty...

--------------------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends cache locationless!

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

Michigan Geocaching Organization

I see a couple of requests here to provide a link to a list of the caches. Currently, if you click on the icon/image on the left, it takes you to such a list.

Pretty cool! I was sad to see my avatar go away, but that was easily remedied with a little HTML!

Nice job everyone!

I agree about the totals as well. There should be a listing under the different types of caches.

I wonder if it's possible to have all of this information on one page? Nevermind - I just clicked on somebody with a variety of hides as well as finds... hehe....

Good stuff - just needs the aforementioned totals for finds and hides.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

I love it too...but the totals would make it extra special....I like to click on my total finds and check out how recently some of the caches on my list have been found...kinda miss that.

I'm not the only one who does/did that....am I?

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by stestardi:

Ditto on everything, including the total finds. I'd like to see both the quantity, and a link to all finds in chronological order.

Me too. I'm usually more interested in what someone's done recently, regardless of the particular catagory.

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

Hadn't tried clicking the icons until reading above. Way cool! Although the icon for TB Dog Tags found takes me to the main page for TB's ( I think that's a glitch). Add the total and make that a link to the total list of caches found and it'll be AWESOME. Very well done!

quote:
Originally posted by CacheUsOut:

Hadn't tried clicking the icons until reading above. Way cool! Although the icon for TB Dog Tags found takes me to the main page for TB's ( I think that's a glitch). Add the total and make that a link to the total list of caches found and it'll be AWESOME. Very well done!

You could never see a list of TBs other users had found. Not quite sure what the rationale for that is (some security?), but I think it's working as designed.

But I'll join in for the request for a "total cache" count and link

-----------------------

Current caching status

5 FTF

1 LTF

22 pending LTF

No, it never did show you the bugs you'd found, but wouldn't it be cool if it did now?

Like everyone said, we need totals. But it's great to have the break out, so thanks, Jeremy.

Seeing it broken out this way does raise some questions, though. Like, why is it that benchmarks don't count toward your totals, while locationless caches do? I mean, at least with benchmarks you actually have to go out and find something - and some can be quite challenging (I'm thinking of one I saw on a mountaintop in the remote Smokies backcountry - alas, before geocaching). Maybe both should be kept out of the total cache finds figure, eh?

quote:
Originally posted by The Alethiometrists:

Maybe both should be kept out of the total cache finds figure, eh?

Maybe both should count instead ? I find these locationless caches quite interesting and they certainly make me more aware of mine surroundings. Seeing - thanks to the new stats page - that some of the legends around here have some 10% of virtual/locationless caches under their belly I am embracing these as just one of the aspects of this sport/hobby/addiction.

But I am certain that this has been discussed a few times before. Not wanting to rattle any cages.

... where is it?

quote:
Maybe both should count instead ? I find these locationless caches quite interesting and they certainly make me more aware of mine surroundings. Seeing - thanks to the new stats page - that some of the legends around here have some 10% of virtual/locationless caches under their belly I am embracing these as just one of the aspects of this sport/hobby/addiction.

I'm with you.

Besides the oft-mentioned total finds/owned as before, I'd like the profile graphic to be larger. It was shrunk to avatar size which is very limiting. Perhaps there is a way to insert a larger graphic in the "Latest News."

Other than that, the page is a big improvement.

I like the breakout. And benchmarks are a whole different animal than any type of cache. So I concur with keeping those separate.

This was a good change.

quote:

No, it never did show you the bugs you'd found, but wouldn't it be cool if it did now?

Like everyone said, we need totals. But it's great to have the break out, so thanks, Jeremy.

Seeing it broken out this way does raise some questions, though. Like, why is it that benchmarks don't count toward your totals, while locationless caches do? I mean, at least with benchmarks you actually have to go out and find something - and some can be quite challenging (I'm thinking of one I saw on a mountaintop in the remote Smokies backcountry - alas, before geocaching). Maybe both should be kept out of the total cache finds figure, eh?

Yes nice, but totals are needed. Question is ''stick with the old totals or revise the total formula?''.

Traditional, multis, mystery, and yes virtuals, should all be included for sure. For all of them you use your ''GPS to find'' a location that you are not aware of otherwise.

With that formula I guess you should also include benchmarks.

With that formula you should not include events.

You should not include travel bugs because they are a seperate thing all their own.

Which brings us back to benchmarks. They are also now a seperate thing on their own, so I would seperate those out as it is now.

Which brings us to Locationless. Currently included, which is fine with me, but they do not match the formula. You do not FIND them with the GPS. They are more of a postcard. Interesting. Educational. Fun. But different. Guess I would seperate those out like benchmarks are.

Webcams? Guess I would leave those in.

Why totals? Others have long since blown by me, so that is not it, but there is something satisfying about totals, as well as being a measure of ours and other's obsession.

For the time being, I am listing my find/hide totals on my profile (as they are listed on my last cache find).

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

Yes nice, but totals are needed. Question is ''stick with the old totals or revise the total formula?''

I agree with this approach. Events, however, do require a GPS to locate . . . or at least can require a GPS.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

Great. So I get to be the ONE person who doesn't wholly like the new changes.

I have two main issues with the new design: first, I can't see a nice quick summary of finds and hides without having to click on one more link to get to where I'm sure Jeremy will eventually put grand totals. I'd prefer totals on the main profile page as before, with the option of clicking on the stats link to get the nitty gritty details. I rely on a user's profile to determine their experience -- useful for determining whether or not I think they are likely to move my travel bug appropriately, or determines validity of comments in the logs, or their experience in placing caches. In user interface design you put the most important information first. Personally, I think that forum title, job description, etc. are less useful pieces of information. In this case, it's one more click to get to the more important information of the stats.

Second, and even more important, is that as one gains more caching experience the stats actually become incorrect. The statistics are calculated based on the CURRENT status of the caches, not the status of the caches when you actually FOUND them. Cache owners frequently change cache types, especially in instances where the cache was plundered. This leads to useless stats.

For instance, in my case I have collected my stats on my own system since the day I started caching. Jeremy's stats page says that I have visited and found 470 caches as of today; my data agrees. I have found 14 locationless caches according to both systems. However, while I visited 25 multi-caches, the new stats page says that I have found only 21 -- four were converted to regular or virtual caches AFTER I found them. So the stats breakdown isn't completely correct and is not a true reflection of your experience.

Ooh, fun, I get to be in the minority too. Personally, I think it's great that there aren't any totals. We all learned to add in elementary school, so if we really want a total we can get one. By not precalculating the total, Jeremy gets to avoid all of the stupid "locationless/virtual/event caches should/shouldn't count" controversy.

If we had to have a total, I'd want it to be in the form of checkboxes next to each category and a total at the bottom. As you check the boxes, the values for those categories get added to the sum. And default to all checkboxes off.

pirate.cgi.gif

Originally posted by GeoROCKS!:

I rely on a user's profile to determine their experience -- useful for determining whether or not I think they are likely to move my travel bug appropriately, or determines validity of comments in the logs, or their experience in placing caches.

I do the same, but this break-out is making me re-think that process somewhat. I mean, I've spent hours hiking to do a single cache at a remote location, or even more hours (sometimes days) solving a complicated multi. That's very different from the typical locationless cache. Virtuals tend to be easy, too, but don't have to be - they're very much like benchmarks in that regard (which makes me wonder why they aren't treated the same).

Well, not to beat a dead horse, but I guess you could say it's like baseball. I mean, it's useful to know how many hits a batter has, but even more useful to see how many of those were singles, versus doubles, triples, and homers.

Warm Fuzzies had a good idea with the check boxes. That way we could each figure it our own way, without getting into arguments over what should count. The total really matters for one thing - figuring one's Cache Anniversaries, so to speak. And that's really a personal thing.

I really miss the "Caches (Found)/(Hidden) by this user" which used to be shown on the profile page.

Many times I like to look for caches that have been hidden by a fiend of mine (single click). They have a certain personality to their hides and they are, of course, in my area.

I also miss being able to see what caches they have found (single click). Can't do that now.

To be sure, I do like the new features. But I would rather see them as ADDITIONS not REPLACEMENTS.

In a similar vein, does anyone know how to quickly go to a users profile page? My method now is to FIRST search for caches found by that member and SECOND click on one of the finds, THIRD click show all logs, FOURTH scroll until I find their log, FIFTH click on ther name to access their profile page. Geez, ther has to be a better way, but I just don't know what it is.

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Ooh, fun, I get to be in the minority too. Personally, I think it's great that there aren't any totals. We all learned to add in elementary school, so if we really want a total we can get one. By not precalculating the total, Jeremy gets to avoid all of the stupid "locationless/virtual/event caches should/shouldn't count" controversy.

If we had to have a total, I'd want it to be in the form of checkboxes next to each category and a total at the bottom. As you check the boxes, the values for those categories get added to the sum. And default to all checkboxes _off_.

I'm not missing the totals much either. Maybe because currently my real total is 10-12% higher then whats currently logged on gc.com anyway. Like Fuzzy said, I know how to add if I want a total, and leaving the total out puts an end to a lot of arguing about what is and what isn't a geocache. A total doesn't really help me to form an opinion about another cacher anyway. Which DNF log on my physical cache should concern me more:

Cacher A with 200 total finds, 150 locationless, 45 virtuals, and 5 traditional.

or

Cacher B with 30 total finds, 20 traditional, 8 multi, and 2 virtuals.

Looking at the new breakdown, I see that even with 200 total finds, cacher A is clearly a newbie when it comes to physical caches, whereas cacher B is pretty experienced at them.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

The new stats page is great.

You guys are doing some great things with the site.

Keep up the good work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

The new stats page is pretty cool. I like the breakdowns but I agree totals would be nice.

One thing...Didn't the profile page previously open in a new window? I would prefer if they opened a new window, it sure beats having to click back 3-5 times to get back to where you were.

I guess I could click with the right mouse button, so it's no big deal, but I thought it opened by default, am I wrong or have I always been right mouse clicking?

Kar

quote:
Originally posted by dcgusto:

We would definitely agree with a "total" column!! We have a slight "competition" going with other family members on who has the most caches, so a total of all caches would be very beneficial!

If you're having some competition with family members you might consider outdoing them in each and every category. That way you don't need a total of everything found. Have fun!

John of 2oldfarts

Smile, make others wonder what you're up to!!!

quote:

It's always shown you the bugs YOU found (on your "my cache page," not the public view).

I, too, would like to see totals, and I'm not too particular about whether locationless caches are included. I wouldn't like to see the categories of what goes into a total *expanded* to include, say, benchmarks or travel bugs, but I'm fine with totals the way they used to be OR with eliminating locationless. I think too many people would be too upset if virtuals were moved to a different count, so I won't even comment.

Totals still do exist -- there's a number in parentheses next to your name when you post a log, right? So I think they should be viewable on the person's profile page as well. Very interesting to look through some of the locals' stats and see how many of each type of cache they've done. I'm rather embarrassed to see that our own virtuals have been adding up (I, Kite, don't like them, but Hawkeye thinks they're fine, so we do them when they're on our route and he can talk me into it).

I don't care particularly about the totals, but i really would like to see the list of finds in chronological order of the find for the individual rather than ordered by last found date by anyone.

I like to check in on friends and acquaintances to see what they've been doing lately and it's not nearly as clear in this format as it would be if they were sorted by date found by the selected individual.

Jon (and Miki)

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

If we had to have a total, I'd want it to be in the form of checkboxes next to each category and a total at the bottom. As you check the boxes, the values for those categories get added to the sum. And default to all checkboxes _off_.

GREAT idea!

quote:
Originally posted by jon & miki:

I don't care particularly about the totals, but i really would like to see the list of finds in chronological order of the find for the individual rather than ordered by last found date by anyone.

I like to check in on friends and acquaintances to see what they've been doing lately and it's not nearly as clear in this format as it would be if they were sorted by date found by the selected individual.

Jon (and Miki)

something like this?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I don't think there is any reason to be embarrassed by your total of virtual caches. Virtual caches create an opportunity to have a "cache" in National Park areas and other places that do not allow geocaching.

Virtuals should definitely be included in cache totals.

Locationless caches look fun to do and I will probably try some someday, but I wouldn't mind them not being included in the totals we are talking about. A lot of them sound less like a "hunt" and more like a class assignment: "find and take a picture of a tank that is not currently in use....."

That being said, I wouldn't be up in arms if they did stay in the totals, just as they have been. However, I would consider creating a different user name just for locationless, so it didn't pad the totals of our reg screen name.

-J-

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geocaching-HamptonRoadsVA/join

"You have brains in your head; You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own. And you know what you know.

And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...."

Dr. Seuss

In addition to most of the posts, I really like the new stats-page.

A addition to that: beside the number of totals, what about showing the percentage to the total close each group? Either as number or graphical?

This helps to compare to each other much better.

cheers!

Stupidity has a certain charm - ignorance does not. (FZ)