New smilies (in found And DNflog)

Well, I took a peek after the may 4th 2011 site update at the new smilies. They looked um, well I can't find a word for it. The found it smile has changed and the did not find it smile has changed too.

I personally dislike the new smilies but everything else is great. What do you think?

what's the big deal with how the smilies look?

someone, amongst those that duslike the new ones, please enlighten me and tell me what difference does it make what the smilies look like, any of you sit and watch them for extended periods of time? :laughing:

what's the big deal with how the smilies look?

someone, amongst those that duslike the new ones, please enlighten me and tell me what difference does it make what the smilies look like, any of you sit and watch them for extended periods of time? :laughing:

I did. I stared at the smilies last month for half an hour and analyzed the round shape, the dote eyes, the red lipstick, ect.

If y'all ask nicely, I could whip up a similar style to get the smiles from 2010. I have them saved locally.

Oh great god of things greasemonkey I supplicate myself before you asking in my most humble voice to please gives us the delightful smiles from 2010. Thank you.

If y'all ask nicely, I could whip up a similar style to get the smiles from 2010. I have them saved locally.

I'm also asking nicely! I have sentimental attachment to those buggers!

The new smilies look horrendous, and aren't nearly as "readable", if that makes any sense. If I'm not wearing my glasses, they just look like messy smears.

Also, I strongly dislike the blue shading on tables like pocket query preview pages. That's another topic altogether..

At first I was excited about the new site, but now I'm just bummed out.

It seems like kind of a pointless change to spend skull sweat on. As far as which ones I like better, meh, I don't really care.

Ditto. Don't see why it was necessary to change them but I expect I'll get used to the new smileys in a few weeks.

I just can't believe they used resources to redesign smileys. Breaking in a new graphics designer, perhaps?

Since their graphic designers that were working on souvenir artwork haven't been creating any new souvenirs they needed something to do. I would have rather seen some new souvenirs than new smileys.

On the beta maps I really loved the smilies they used on there on the medium zoom, now they've replaced them and they look completely horrid. The smiley face was one of the most iconic things on geocaching for me and definitely not something which should have been messed with.

I normally like change and new things but the new smilies are just horrible! Bring back the old ones!

My first post on Groundspeak Forums - I particularly came here because I'm so upset by the new smilies.

Thank you for all the improvements, I'm sure it will be great if only we get the old smilies back... I'm just so fond of them.

I'm asking very nicely! :smile:

Edited by tuh

The new smilies look horrendous, and aren't nearly as "readable", if that makes any sense. If I'm not wearing my glasses, they just look like messy smears.

Agreed about being less readable. They have less contrast between the background and foreground. At the large size they look good, but the small size is harder to tell what it is.

Large:

icon_smile.gif.png

Small:

icon_smile.gif

Old:

24382_before.png

Ugh, I was checking on the site back on my regular computer (viewed the new update on laptop) and I had the old smilies, which led me to believe that they were reverted. Sure enough though, it was a cache issue, because I reloaded to make certain, and the smilies are still ugly and hard to read. Heartbreak..

By the way, here are the actual old smile files if anyone needs them for the script:

icon_smile.gif

icon_sad.gif

Edited by Vexidus