New Beta Map thread.

Since the new update, the beta maps were updated. So this thread is to discuss all about the new beta map updates.

I won't get into how ugly the new signs are.

But what I do want to know is, why are some of the traditional caches square and green and others yellow/gold and circle?

Edited by Coldgears

Since the new update, the beta maps were updated. So this thread is to discuss all about the new beta map updates.

I won't get into how ugly the new signs are.

But what I do want to know is, why are some of the traditional caches square and green and others yellow/gold and circle?

I'm fairly certain that the yellow/gold circle represent premium-member only caches that you haven't found.

Beta maps don't have a list of the cache names that are being shown (that was always pretty useless anyway if you had very many shown)

You can't create a pocket query from the beta maps yet.

If the map types were dropdowns, there'd be a lot more real estate on the left for other things (like moving the cache type key up to where I can see them without scrolling)

I click and click and click on a cache icon shown on the map, yet I can't get the little pop-up window to open so I can pick on the link to go to that cache's page.

The yellow icon for a multi gets lost in the crowd when you zoom out - would like to see that changed

Don't like that personalization still doesn't default work

Don't like that I have to enter "postal code, country, etc."... should default to my set location

Edited by -Scarecrow-

I really like being able to see more caches at once, it's going to change the way I geocache. I also like the way that the cache icons change when you zoom out and you can see how the parts of the world which are sparse on caches, and where there's heavy coverage.

I'd like to be able to select the size of caches I can see (so I know if a trackable will fit or not in this instance, but it would also be helpful to see the way people manage to successfully hide larger caches in other cities, or to find trails of nanos, and so on.)

As others have said; like to at least read about archived caches. There are aspects of geocaching which feel like a closed clique between longstanding cachers who have got to know each other and this change excludes new cachers from the history. even if we weren't a part of that history, it is nice to at least be able to look it up and find out what people are talking about. It also helps to see what is likely to fail when hiding a cache.

I like the new maps. One feature I miss is when I moused over the icon, a pop up with just the GC code and name came up. I am not referring to the balloon that pops up when you click on the icon.

And thanks to all the lackeys for the hard work.

brian

i am using Safari 4.1.3 and OS X10.4.11 just in case.

I think I like it but it will take some getting used to. The only problem I'm having is that the zoom in/out bar on the left side of the screen doesn't always show up. I can only see it about 10 percent of the time I open the map. Not sure what is causing this.

I click and click and click on a cache icon shown on the map, yet I can't get the little pop-up window to open so I can pick on the link to go to that cache's page.

Me too. This is my #1 complaint.

I just tried it out. Works for me. I'm using IE8 on a 64 bit Windows7 machine.

I do not search for caches based on PMO status, so that new feature does not do anything for me, but it does not hurt anything either.

I think the beta maps has potential, but the personalization stuff just does not seem to work on a regular basis, or at least recently, not at all. I would like to be able to scroll through a map and only see what I have not found before.

The other day I was using the beta maps when personalization was working and the maps were missing caches. It was missing ones I had found before AND ones I had not.

So, basically, I think the maps have potential, if they can fix the bugs and get personalization to actually work.

* Speed

* New smaller icons at more resolutions (instead of colored squares)

Dislikes:

* Premium cache icons (fugly)

* Enable/Disable filtering of a type of cache from the display causes the clicked icon to jump up or down a few pixels. It needs to be a little less subtle.

* Clicking on an icon, causes the pop-up cache info area to show up off screen sometimes (and it doesn't scroll over automagically)

Edited by daschpeeg

Like the expanded map selection...and the new look.

That the maps seem to update quicker.

Love the expanded view of area-wide caches.

HATES...not dislikes:

Can't make a pocket query from the map.

Can't get any mouse-over info.

Can't download a cache to the GPSr from the pop-up bubble.

WHY...oh please tell me why...do upgrades always include HUGE steps backwards???

I would imagine my three HATES are loses that a LOT of cachers are going to miss.

Edited by Birddroppings

HATES...not dislikes:

WHY...oh please tell me why...do upgrades always include HUGE steps backwards???

I would imagine my three HATES are loses that a LOT of cachers are going to miss.

I too hate the fact that you can't load caches directly from the bubble. I used that alot for a quick way to load caches when I found myself with a little time in an area that I normallly don't go. Stop at McDonalds, pull out computer and quickly load a few caches in the general area.

Another factor that I miss is that you can't tell if there is a trackable in that cache without calling up the cache page.

All in all I am not impressed with the changes that have been made. I find it not user friendly at all. Especially the way I was using it. I don't always have time to do PQ'a or don't want that many caches loaded. I will still be using the old maps again I guess at these features on still on those maps.

I had high hopes for the updates and am VERY disappointed so far.

Ignored caches show. FAIL. only reason i went premium is for ignore.

Personalization part settings don't seem to "stick"

obfuscation of PMO on maps. if cache is in a bouncy area, attempting to view on satellite maps is useless because even if you're premium, location is skewed.

no popup mouseovers

no greyed icon for disabled caches

-

I think that covers the maps portion.

HATES...not dislikes:

Agreed. Especially, no PQ from the map, no mouse over info, and no download from pop-up bubble. I just hope Groundspeak hears our pleas for features we find most useful.