Geocaching.com site update May 4th 2011

1) .....emergency responder travelling 60 miles from office......

2) .....(note I don't charge for the time I am caching).....

3) .....pull up the map, and quickly send 2 caches to my GPS.....I have less then 5 minutes usually to get out the door after my pager goes off......

Forget geocaching......

1) What emergency responder travels 60 miles?

2) You charge for your emergency response?

3) Your pager goes off for you to respond to an emergency 60 miles away and you have time to mess around loading a few caches to your gps? WHAT THE HELL ORGANISATION DO YOU WORK FOR???????

msrubble, what is the trick to logging in *at all*

mr can log in on home computer, but I can not from my laptop, even after signing off the home computer.

Click on your username in the forum

OR

Go to an individual cache listing and choose "Log in to log your visit"

OR

Go to http://www.geocaching.com/my/

clicking on forum username results in: "Sorry. You must first log in to view this profile."

clicking "Log in to log your visit" results in: "You need to be logged in to post a log for this listing."

using the GC.com/my URL results in: a loop to the login screen w/ username and pswd fields.

thanks for the suggestions!

it's gotta work eventually -i hope?

3) .....pull up the map, and quickly send 2 caches to my GPS.....I have less then 5 minutes usually to get out the door after my pager goes off......

Forget geocaching......

3) Your pager goes off for you to respond to an emergency 60 miles away and you have time to mess around loading a few caches to your gps? WHAT THE HELL ORGANISATION DO YOU WORK FOR???????

plumber, computer repair would be a guess. But I'm pretty sure AndrewRJ is neither but he is not a EMT or fireman.

Edited by jholly

clicking on forum username results in: "Sorry. You must first log in to view this profile."

clicking "Log in to log your visit" results in: "You need to be logged in to post a log for this listing."

using the GC.com/my URL results in: a loop to the login screen w/ username and pswd fields.

thanks for the suggestions!

it's gotta work eventually -i hope?

Try to set a new password (or the old one again) at geocaching.com.

Edited by Koblenzer

Forget geocaching......

I am an environmental geologist as it says in my profile. I respond to oil spills from electrical transformers for the local power company. I cover the the entire coverage area for the company, covering over 120 miles north to south, and almost 200 miles east to west. Rapid response is needed to prevent the release from having time to spread, or I could leave your power off and toxic chemicals in your front yard. What the heck were you thinking of? A little quick to jump to conclusions as we? :) When I leave the site the situation is resolved and my time becomes my own.

Forget geocaching......

plumber, computer repair would be a guess. But I'm pretty sure AndrewRJ is neither but he is not a EMT or fireman.

Guess Jim was a bit faster on the trigger then me, but yes non life threatening, on call, rapid response, Environmental Geology work.

Forget geocaching......

I am an environmental geologist as it says in my profile. I respond to oil spills from electrical transformers for the local power company. I cover the the entire coverage area for the company, covering over 120 miles north to south, and almost 200 miles east to west. Rapid response is needed to prevent the release from having time to spread, or I could leave your power off and toxic chemicals in your front yard. What the heck were you thinking of? A little quick to jump to conclusions as we? :) When I leave the site the situation is resolved and my time becomes my own.

One of the aspects of geocaching that I enjoy is that it broadens my horizons. The 60 miles told me that you weren't an EMT or in fire rescue, but I had no idea what you do. I didn't think to look at your profile. Very interesting to learn about another occupation I had never considered. Of course, janAndSteve took the thread way off topic when he jumped in to express his opinion. Now, I'm keeping it off topic with this reply. Sorry, but I enjoyed learning something new on this nice Mother's Day morning during which I earned major points by setting up a trip to Delaware to do the C&D power trail. We will stay over tomorrow night and collect even more smilies on Tuesday.

Edited by wigoweb

Forget geocaching......

Actually I so wanted to respond to this in a mocking manner so lets call this next section the first responces that came to mind

****note the following is sarcasm and not true****

1)one who likes milking the job

2)yep, and I charge a lot as well

3)What? its not *MY* emergency, I will get there eventually. Forbid I travel that far from home and I can't find some caches. An organization near you!

Oh and I eat babies too.

:) :) :) :)

Edited by AndrewRJ

Right. Did you try logging in at that point? I just logged in by clicking on your username. I had to log in to the forums, and then log on to geocaching.com.

Sorry the other two routes didn't work for you.

"Save as default" when editing a cache page doesn't stick. Each time I edit a listing I have to check both of these boxes.

7060ae33-6816-4777-8993-b1adc32b2e0d.jpg

One other thing, the box for editing the short description of a listing only allows me to display three lines of text at a time.

WinXP with Firefox 4.0.1.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I think the "Save as default" options are a 3rd party Greasemonkey extention, aren't they?

Yes it is.... and a good one, should be stock!

I know this is what this whole thread is about, but... Ya know, this whole narrow maps thing has got me really upset, they're 10 times worse than they used to be. They did the job before, and now they're just unusable. I really hope this is being fixed.

Original maps still broken.

display some random group of caches.

enable personalization (no finds, no hides)

pan display.

the personalization still shows selected, but finds and hides show at the new pan

have to turn off personalization and turn it back on

Can we fix it so once set personalization is sticky? That would be appreciated.

O/S Vista Browser FF 3.6.17

Edited by jholly

The personalization of the map seems to be all over the place. I keep hearing people having problems with it yet i haven't had this problem. I've used 4 different PCs in 4 different locations. I've used the latest version of Firefox, Beta version of Firefox, IE8 and the latest version of Chrome. If its some sort of regional problem then i'm not seeing it either. I live and work in MD but the IP for our PCs at work bounce back as several different locations. It will either show as Florida, Texas, or Colorado. I've zoomed out of the map and moved to a different state and zoomed in checking out caches then move back up to my home location and the smilies still show and in the correct place. Only problem i have is having to check the Personalize box every time i pull up the map. Even if i navigate away from the map page and come back i have to check the box again. But while on the map i don't loose the smilies.

The personalization of the map seems to be all over the place. I keep hearing people having problems with it yet i haven't had this problem. I've used 4 different PCs in 4 different locations. I've used the latest version of Firefox, Beta version of Firefox, IE8 and the latest version of Chrome. If its some sort of regional problem then i'm not seeing it either. I live and work in MD but the IP for our PCs at work bounce back as several different locations. It will either show as Florida, Texas, or Colorado. I've zoomed out of the map and moved to a different state and zoomed in checking out caches then move back up to my home location and the smilies still show and in the correct place. Only problem i have is having to check the Personalize box every time i pull up the map. Even if i navigate away from the map page and come back i have to check the box again. But while on the map i don't loose the smilies.

which map are you talking about, Original or Beta? You will note that I said Original. The Betas seem to work correctly with personalization but they ignore my ignore list. That is why I don't use them.

It would be nice if you read the post carefully, understand what is being talked about before you chime in that the world is a bowl of cream and cherries.

which map are you talking about, Original or Beta? You will note that I said Original. The Betas seem to work correctly with personalization but they ignore my ignore list. That is why I don't use them.

It would be nice if you read the post carefully, understand what is being talked about before you chime in that the world is a bowl of cream and cherries.

Both! I haven't had any problems with either for the past 2 or 3 days. Sure there where some issues with the original maps soon after the site update but no problems recently.

Both! I haven't had any problems with either for the past 2 or 3 days. Sure there where some issues with the original maps soon after the site update but no problems recently.

Well then you have special blessings. Must be nice.

Original maps still broken.

display some random group of caches.

enable personalization (no finds, no hides)

pan display.

the personalization still shows selected, but finds and hides show at the new pan

have to turn off personalization and turn it back on

Can we fix it so once set personalization is sticky? That would be appreciated.

O/S Vista Browser FF 3.6.17

I'm experiencing the same behavior.

XPSP3

FF 3.6.17

Right. Did you try logging in at that point? I just logged in by clicking on your username. I had to log in to the forums, and then log on to geocaching.com.

Sorry the other two routes didn't work for you.

Willing to try most anything at this point...

clicked on your username, got the "sorry..." page

tried logging in as you suggest

got the "sorry..." page again

Spinning in infinity here! Caught in an endless loop...

On the old maps, you could click on a cache icon and load it to your GPSr using just the little summary pop-up. The new beta maps don't have this feature. Now if you want to load a cache into you GPSr you have to actually go to the cache page. This really slows down the process. We're disappointed that this functionality was lost.
why you even bother doing that when you're a premium member and can run PQ? :blink:

I'm a PM and I like loading caches into my GPSr directly from the maps as well. I can be a lot more granular about targeting a specific location, and it can take a lot less time than generating a new PQ. Couple of clicks and I'm done, easy-peasy.

Not sure if my problem is related to this. I can (obviously) log into forums successfully. However, all three accounts in my household (myself and two daughters) can't log onto main geocaching.com site.

I had this problem too and finally resolved it last night. I had the problem in IE8 and IE9 on one computer, but no issue in FF4 on the same computer, or IE8 on another.

The symptoms I had were that I would properly type in my user name and password, but I would be redirected back to the login page (if there), or the main page with the box at the top would continue to show me as a visitor.

I finally found out that I had added GC.com to my list of trusted websites (must have been long ago for another reason) in IE. Once I removed it from the list of trusted sites, I was able to log in and stay logged in. :-) Seems like something in the "Trusted sites" zone of the security tab in IE tools->Internet options was preventing the logging in from sticking.

Thank You Thank You Thank You!

Had this same exact problem starting 5/7/11, spent much of the day today on the forums... applying suggestions

Finally found your post and... PROBLEM RESOLVED

Is this related to recent upgrade, or fixes on it?

how odd (and how horribly frustrating) not to be able to log into the GC.com site

Not sure if my problem is related to this. I can (obviously) log into forums successfully. However, all three accounts in my household (myself and two daughters) can't log onto main geocaching.com site.

I had this problem too and finally resolved it last night. I had the problem in IE8 and IE9 on one computer, but no issue in FF4 on the same computer, or IE8 on another.

The symptoms I had were that I would properly type in my user name and password, but I would be redirected back to the login page (if there), or the main page with the box at the top would continue to show me as a visitor.

I finally found out that I had added GC.com to my list of trusted websites (must have been long ago for another reason) in IE. Once I removed it from the list of trusted sites, I was able to log in and stay logged in. :-) Seems like something in the "Trusted sites" zone of the security tab in IE tools->Internet options was preventing the logging in from sticking.

Had this same exact problem starting 5/7/11, spent much of the day today on the forums... applying suggestions

how odd (and how horribly frustrating) not to be able to log into the GC.com site

That issue is not related to the site update, as it existed before. I had that problem myself a while ago.

I can give you one example of this. Boss walks into my office and says, "drive to town X" which happens to be 60 miles from office. Boss knows that I cache and allows me to grab a cache after I complete the job (note I don't charge for the time I am caching) I have no way of knowing which town town X is going to be as I am an emergency responder.

I don't have time to run a PQ and I am not allowed to have GSAK on my work computer. I can however pull up the map, and quickly send 2 caches to my GPS. Very easy and quick.

Not everyone caches in the same way and for me the I have less then 5 minutes usually to get out the door after my pager goes off. Speed is necessary.

what GPS do you have?

I'm a PM and I like loading caches into my GPSr directly from the maps as well. I can be a lot more granular about targeting a specific location, and it can take a lot less time than generating a new PQ. Couple of clicks and I'm done, easy-peasy.

i really have a hard time seeing how that is more efficient, but whatever works for you

Edited by t4e
i really have a hard time seeing how that is more efficient, but whatever works for you

For me it mostly boils down to (1) not having to figure out what settings will generate just the couple of caches I've ID'd on a map, and (2) not having to wait for the PQ to run or bump up against the daily PQ limit. I see it, I click it, and I walk out the door.

Have to say it's rare I use PQ's (apart from the My Finds one), I'll run one every few weeks to a month just to make sure my GSAK database is up up to date and if I'm going away some where then I'll run one for that area to use with GSAK / Memory Map on the laptop.

For day to day local caching I still use the main map to decide where to go and fire them over as needed.

I rarely use the Send to GPS feature from the maps, because I prefer the formatting that GSAK does for me, but I did often use the Bookmark option that was on the old style maps balloon and is now also missing. I would use that to easily build a bookmark list that I would then turn into a Pocket Query. Now, to do that, I have to actually go in to each cache page to bookmark the cache.

I rarely use the Send to GPS feature from the maps, because I prefer the formatting that GSAK does for me, but I did often use the Bookmark option that was on the old style maps balloon and is now also missing. I would use that to easily build a bookmark list that I would then turn into a Pocket Query. Now, to do that, I have to actually go in to each cache page to bookmark the cache.

is it? i see that option present on both maps

newmap.png

oldmap.png

Thanks for continuing to comment on the release. We are reviewing all your suggestions and complaints here as well as in User Voice.

I just wanted to take a moment to share with you this graph displaying weekend performance for the last 6 weeks. As you can see the database has, at times, been pegged at nearly 100% during our busiest periods.

Now I will direct your attention to the bold orange line representing database performance since our upgrade last Wednesday. It's a beautiful thing. :grin:

5biYD.png

We will not let this success make us complacent, however. The team is laser-focused on improving site functionality as well as performance going forward.

Well I echo the majority of the users that are not at all impressed with the improvements to the site. In particular the fixed width really has caused nothing but problems and work to resolve. Any cache page I have which used a picture larger than the 670 has been reduced in size and subsequently everything on the cache page is changed. I have 14 new cache pages and caches to list, after loading one of them and seeing what happens to it when viewed I am likely to NOT even bother.

This is a huge step backward. "WHY" fix the width at this narrow format? Please tell me this will be changed to something larger that works on a larger screen. White, White and more White - enough already.

Really HQ do I have to put up with advertising on my cache page.

I am not a fan of the new Beta maps, but don't use them all that often so can live with them provided changes are made.

Quite a number of my cache pages now look like crap, it would be nice if you let us all know how to resolve these issues without huge expenditures of time on our part. I will certainly be holding off on any new listings till this fixed witdth gets FIXED.

I can give you one example of this. Boss walks into my office and says, "drive to town X" which happens to be 60 miles from office. Boss knows that I cache and allows me to grab a cache after I complete the job (note I don't charge for the time I am caching) I have no way of knowing which town town X is going to be as I am an emergency responder.

I don't have time to run a PQ and I am not allowed to have GSAK on my work computer. I can however pull up the map, and quickly send 2 caches to my GPS. Very easy and quick.

Not everyone caches in the same way and for me the I have less then 5 minutes usually to get out the door after my pager goes off. Speed is necessary.

what GPS do you have?

I have a 60CX, would love to upgrade but that isn't in the budget right now.

Thanks for continuing to comment on the release. We are reviewing all your suggestions and complaints here as well as in User Voice.

I just wanted to take a moment to share with you this graph displaying weekend performance for the last 6 weeks. As you can see the database has, at times, been pegged at nearly 100% during our busiest periods.

Now I will direct your attention to the bold orange line representing database performance since our upgrade last Wednesday. It's a beautiful thing. :grin:

5biYD.png

We will not let this success make us complacent, however. The team is laser-focused on improving site functionality as well as performance going forward.

That is a massive change! Very impressive.

Without reading every last post here, I have a problem or rather a question.

When the Beta map comes up for me, I see the map, then that goes grey on me and then all I see are all the caches on the map and no streets. No idea why. Is there something I need to turn on or something I need to do? If no answer, is thee a way I can just go to the original map without going thru the Beta map?

Other than that, it is just a matter of time before I get used to all the other features that have changed.

You are quite welcome. B) For me it only started to happen since the site upgrade. I've never had this problem before.

--DCMG

I had to replace the html tables I was using on my Archangel (http://coord.info/GC1AATC) cache.

Forcing all tables to 100% width is not a good idea as it completely destroyed the formatting which was essential in defining the type of puzzle. I had to replace the html with an image as it didn't matter what I tried the html parser just overwrote every style I applied with the pre-defined styles. Not good.

I'm having problems with notifications from geocaching.com I noticed earlier that I had received a text on a new cache, but not an email. I'm set up for both and I'd received both types of notifications on other caches today. Just now, I received two texts that the cache had been found (it's on my watchlist) by two different cachers, but the log message was the same on each. Looking at the cache page, the second cacher had not even logged it. Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Please get rid of the fixed width! Not only does it look terrible because of all the whitespace, but it's an incredible waste of space! Each cache listed in my profile (and in other lists) takes up several lines, and I have to do so much scrolling to get to the bottom of every cache page I look at. Please put it back to fluid width!

You are quite welcome. B) For me it only started to happen since the site upgrade. I've never had this problem before.

--DCMG

well, that was incredibly simple. I've been so busy that I only had the chance to look again now for resolutions. Didn't even need to start my browser, opened a new tab in IE8 and opened GC page, already logged in!

Thanks everyone!

could we have the old maps as default untill the new maps are fixed, new cache goes live , look at the map its not there , switch to old maps there it is.

@olddffart i also expect the 2 to 4 hour delay in new Published Notifications listings is to give the new maps time to cache the new listings as they are cached and not live.

As for the fixed width there is nothing to say that hasn't already been said, is this new white space going to be filled with advertising? , if you dont like fixed width or advertising on your listing , host them on your own webspace and link to it on the listing, although if they didnt try to fix something that wasn't broke this would not be needed.

It will be interesting to see how Groundspeak play this out , will they listen to their customers or will it just be tough!

Until the beta maps are totally functional why not make the original maps the default setup?

It's a performance thing. The old maps are very hard on the database, while the new maps are light and easy. In order to keep the site running well for everyone, they made the new maps the default. You can always click to get the old maps, but I suspect only a small percentage of people really need all the functionality of the old maps, so they keep strumming along with the new maps.

It's a performance thing. The old maps are very hard on the database, while the new maps are light and easy. In order to keep the site running well for everyone, they made the new maps the default. You can always click to get the old maps, but I suspect only a small percentage of people really need all the functionality of the old maps, so they keep strumming along with the new maps.

That seems like a pretty good trade-off. Default to the beta maps which are computationally cheap but only 99.X% accurate. But retain the option to switch to a more expensive map that closes the gap on the remaining fraction - if you need it.