Geocaching.com site update May 4th 2011

That's one of the funniest things I have seen!

I hope it's all the whitespace and the page that looks like it's from 1994 that you think is funny, and not my picture. :-)

Profile is great.... whitespace is the funny part. However, on my CGA monitor I just 'center' the picture I leave the whitespace off of my monitor. Works great. Everyone should try it.

Edited by kvhollis

I think the whole behaviour of Groundspeak regarding the updates is incredible unprofessional! I hate to be a beta tester while paying for a premium membership. Why are they killing the stable working features for unstable things e.g. the beta map? Why are they wasting space with the new layout? There are lots of ugly things in the new update. It has been better if some REAL users have had a look on the new "features" before publishing it.

I hope that the page is working stable quickly.

--

Regards from Germany

Uwe.

Edited by UUS
- Removed cache page transparency

I wasn't seeing this until I did a full refresh (hold down shift and click the refresh icon).

For that matter, a full refresh is probably a good idea after any and all site updates.

Hope this saves someone else some confusion.

Can we get the Bing "Bird's Eye View" implemented? I have been using that more than the Google aerial views.
Maybe I'm just missing it, but how is Bing's "Bird's Eye View" different from Google's "Satellite" view? They look pretty much the same to me.
Can we get the Bing "Bird's Eye View" implemented? I have been using that more than the Google aerial views.
Maybe I'm just missing it, but how is Bing's "Bird's Eye View" different from Google's "Satellite" view? They look pretty much the same to me.

Bing gives you access to aerial shots from several different angles (where available). It's pretty neat actually.

Has anyone else had problems accessing cache descriptions on the new maps beta when using the Apple i pad ? They don't appear to work any more. Also this afternoon the play drop down menu to hide, seek cache had also stopped working. Infact none of the new drop downs work. Any help greatfully received.

I dont really mind the new site except for one really annoying flaw... since the upgrade I am unable to put in the correct log dates as here in Australia we are a day ahead of you ( for the most part anyway). My personal settings are set to Sydney time, but when I log it defaulted to yesterdays date and when I changed it to the 6th (it was still the 5th on the server) it would not accept a day in the future. Please could this be rectified or all my log dates will be wrong?

Hotfix incoming!

We have released a hotfix to address the following issues. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list of changes to be made. We will be reviewing all of your feedback over the next several weeks and making further adjustments as soon as possible. Thank you!

- Added "Find My Location" to the home page below the search box

The "Find My Location" is just there for a second, after the home page is fully loaded "Find My Location" is gone...

I cannot get on the site, it keeps giving a .NET error:

An Error Has Occurred

Your request has resulted in an error. Please return to this site's home page to continue.

this is on http://www.geocaching.com

on httpS://www.geocaching.com I can see the homepage, but after that all pages redirect to http, and resulting in an error...

too bad that the error message does not tell which of the webservers it is running on.

Edited by Kalkendotters

MAP PROBLEM:

‘Hide-My-Finds’ and ‘Hide-My-Caches’ does not work for me on the non-beta maps. I check the hide-my boxes and they do go away but as soon as I start checking filter options, or even move the map, they come back. (Chrome & IE8)

I don’t consider the following “completed” does anyone else?

bring back personalization on standard map(not the beta)

Since the betamaps are far from ready to be released, please bring back the personalization on the standard map. It feels like being pushed to the beta maps now.

Personalization is now operable again on the old map.

Moun10Bikeadmin

Hotfix incoming!

We have released a hotfix to address the following issues. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list of changes to be made. We will be reviewing all of your feedback over the next several weeks and making further adjustments as soon as possible. Thank you!

- Fixed sorting issue (by last found date) when viewing list of finds

This still doesn't seem to be working, it's still sorting by the date I found the cache not the last found date.

Another issue I'm having is that HTML parsing in the cache text doesn't really work that well. <P> (paragraph/line break) is sporadic, and I have one huge 11-step multi-cache that is almost unreadable on some of the more complex elements (I'm using tables to align blanks with "A", "B", etc.)--all this looked beautiful until the site update and now blanks and letters are just all over the place. Cache listing is GC2C3ZK (not trying to advertize my cache, just trying to give an example of one that has problems).

Umm... Now the backgrounds are completely gone. I guess that's an improvement?

Yeah, I thought we were getting rid of the translucency, not the backgrounds!! Backgrounds are of the utmost importance for some caches, and very carefully chosen on others.

How about a complete rollback, followed by an open, public beta test, and once the bugs get worked out... THEN a release. Good idea? You've lost a lot of goodwill on this one, Groundspeak.

- Ignored caches no longer display on the Beta Maps

Only with Personalization turned on.

That sounds right to me. The ignore list is part of your personal settings, just like found and hidden.

That's fine, just pointing out what I found out.

Now if they can get the personalization settings to be "Sticky" I'll be all set.

Not for me there not, showing as they always used to, i.e no transparent pages,

Others have reported that, as well. They are missing for me in Firefox 4. Greasemonkey is disabled. I was going to try IE8, but apparently the site is down again.

OK, site is back. In IE 8 the backgrounds are missing as well.

Edited by knowschad

Others have reported that, as well. They are missing for me in Firefox 4. Greasemonkey is disabled. I was going to try IE8, but apparently the site is down again.

Much strangeness, it's FF4 I'm using as well, just checked in IE9 and all good there as well.

I see the backgrounds fine. I think somebody a few posts up said something about refreshing the page?

edited to add: Lil Devil in post #355.

Edited by BuckeyeClan

And that stupid feedback button interferes with the text of the left side of the page.

dbc93e0b-d3de-4cd5-b373-4932cf82279c.jpg

Nope. No background. Feedback button interferes with the page...

And that stupid feedback button interferes with the text of the left side of the page.

dbc93e0b-d3de-4cd5-b373-4932cf82279c.jpg

Nope. No background. Feedback button interferes with the page...

No I'm not seeing any background on that particular cache (GC22T3K) though it's showing as archived so I don't know if thats relavent?

Edited by Raver Dave

- Disabled caches now display on Beta Maps with a grayed-out icon

Only in the most zoomed in state.

For me, they show grey on all the zooms where the full icons are displayed, except the level where the scale is 200m/1000ft.

Maybe GS needs to be looking at their testing policy (like maybe start by doing some testing). There seems to be a lot of issues that are declared to be fixed, only to be found otherwise by many users. Maybe they're just taking the word of the software developers that they've fixed a problem, and not even doing a quick check to confirm it. They should also get together a beta-testing team or recruit premium members as a sort of focus group to gauge the effect of changes/fixes/improvements. They need to remember that without the members, they'd be out of business, and they need to listen to their opinions.

My 0.02

Andrew

Wow, I have been a PM since 2007 and this is, by far, the worst "upgrade" to GC.com I have ever seen! :mad:

I think the HTML editor for logs, the one that never came back, was worse :anitongue:

That's right! We were promised an HTML editor for cache page creation too, weren't we? We got new smilies instead. And souvenirs. And two maps where neither one does the whole job right.

Can't log in from the main page! What is the trick?

SeaMonkey 2.0.14 on Windows XP.

I cleared cache, cleared cookies, turned off proxy. Whether I say to keep me logged in or not, I keep getting sent back to "Welcome, visitor!"

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My cache pages are readable again. I did not see a mention on fixed width but if it's still there it is not nearly as bad. I think it's actually almost perfect. I can see a little more background than before!

I know the Beta Maps are a work in progress so I will have patience.

I think if the lackeys responsible understood that different people use the site's tools in different ways, they'd do a better job with these upgrades. These "upgrades" tend to work for a VERY narrow range of users at the expense of everyone else.

There was a thread in the (mostly ignored?) support forum requesting that Groundspeak set up a beta server and let people give the changes a thorough shakedown before they go live. Groundspeak, you've got VOLUNTEERS! Why not use them? The mind boggles.

Edited by JJnTJ

I think if the lackeys responsible understood that different people use the site's tools in different ways, they'd do a better job with these upgrades. These "upgrades" tend to work for a VERY narrow range of users at the expense of everyone else.

There was a thread in the (mostly ignored?) support forum requesting that Groundspeak set up a beta server and let people give the changes a thorough shakedown before they go live. Groundspeak, you've got VOLUNTEERS! Why not use them? The mind boggles.

+100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this still an issue? I'm running Firefox 4 at home and backgrounds were displaying when I last looked. I'm at work now, so I can't check.

I know alot of people don't like the fixed width, but I'm in the minority that thinks it's fine. I guess I'm just not bothered by whitespace.

A thumbs up to resolving the transparency issue! Pages with backgrounds look alot better with the change.

Thumbs down to the sorting issue by Last Find. When I sort by last find on caches I haven't found, it works. When I sort by last found on caches I have found, it still sorts by the last caches I found, not by when the caches were last found.

ok,

NOT OK

for days i have been trying to fix the display issue with my profile.

my profile contains VALID tables and images.

i have tried in vein to work with your new upgrade design.

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE

At least put the profiles back.

A lot of users put hours and days and weeks and months into thier profiles.

At least put the profiles back.

Edited by Spatial Distortion

Yeah, I thought we were getting rid of the translucency, not the backgrounds!! Backgrounds are of the utmost importance for some caches, and very carefully chosen on others.

How about a complete rollback, followed by an open, public beta test, and once the bugs get worked out... THEN a release. Good idea? You've lost a lot of goodwill on this one, Groundspeak.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing: