Geocaching.com site update May 4th 2011

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone, including the critical comments regarding maps and the new look. We will be reviewing each carefully and making updates to the site in response. I'll make sure the changes are communicated to you as they happen.

The fixed page width has come up several times, so I'd like to attempt an explanation into our thought process here. The choice between a liquid (expanding) layout and fixed width is one of appearance and usability. The main disadvantage to having a liquid layout is that Internet Explorer does not support the min-width and max-width CSS properties. The lack of this control is the reason you will sometimes find the right-hand log navigation "missing" on cache pages (in fact it is just pushed far to the right of the page, usually by a large image). Without the control of fixed width layouts, lines of text in cache descriptions may also become too long, making it harder to read. To maintain a consistent experience on the site, without sacrificing the ability of users to control the content of their cache descriptions, we felt it was important to move the site in this direction. Finally, with 13 languages (and more on the way) it will become nearly impossible to control the appearance of the site without a fixed layout.

I hope that helps to explain where we're coming from. We're watching and reading your feedback and will do everything possible to satisfy your concerns asap. Thanks everyone.

I think this is penalizing the majority for a minority cause which is an awful way to write software. A simple example my PQ screen now is 100% longer than before, not helped I think by the addition of actual time of execution in PST which is completely irrelevant. I don't have the previous PQ screen display to compare against so apologies if it was there before and I didn't see it. All web sites that have vertical scrolling are tedious to use and many screens have almost doubled in length for me.

Finally, with 13 languages (and more on the way) it will become nearly impossible to control the appearance of the site without a fixed layout.

Actually I believe the opposite is true. Having worked with multi language web sites in the past part of the problem is that sentences/phrases are not the same length in different languages so unless the columns float when rendering then you are always fighting display issues.

Every time I'm hosting a NASA event, like a curse, Groundspeak muggles my cache page rendering with some kind of new update to code or layout which breaks the page. Although I can fix some things while a cache is active (and it gets tedious to be forced to redo my pages), it begs the question:

How can we truly have anything ever "archived" truly when the way the pages render after you can't even edit them anymore is constantly being monkeyed with? ????

Old pages should have rendering grandfathered in to how they were rendered at the time of authoring......... !

A CURRENTLY BROKEN EVENT PAGE RENDERING EXAMPLE:

Please see my NASA - JPL Event cache page:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f7fc60e7-9ed3-4cfe-af9d-3b3e63fd67c0

The relevant image: http://i52.tinypic.com/k46rm8.gif

THE NEW RENDERING IS COMPLETELY HORRID! IT IGNORED THE FACT THAT GRAPHICS HAD ALPHA LAYERS, AND PUT ITS OWN SOLID WHITE COLORED BACKGROUND BEHIND A TRANSPARENCY OF A PLANET.. The original page had a transparency between the planet and the sparkling space gif behind it and was much nicer than this new "improved" version. PLEASE FIX THE TRANSPARENCY ISSUE...

Everything works fine for me and loads fast. Both the beta maps and the original maps work with personalisation so I can see all my finds as smileys and hides as stars and I can also hide my finds or hides. I like the new homepage and navigation and the fixed width looks fine. The only problem I have had is with viewing images from a log - if I move my mouse over the image window from one side to the other and back, the image flickers and jumps to the left of the screen briefly. It's usable but a bit annoying. This only happens when there is more than one image with the log so the arrows appear.

Overall, I am pleased with the new site. :grin:

Edited by Mako-Shark

Geocaching.com UI and Performance Update

26060: One account per email address

New user accounts need to be created with a unique email address to allow for login by username or email, current accounts have been grandfathered

Not sure if my problem is related to this. I can (obviously) log into forums successfully. However, all three accounts in my household (myself and two daughters) can't log onto main geocaching.com site.

For ease of use and to monitor their accounts, I have my email as primary on all three accounts. I did this after an unknown adult male cacher attempted to 'friend' my 11 year old. So no, I do not want to change this setup.

Every time I'm hosting a NASA event, like a curse, Groundspeak muggles my cache page rendering with some kind of new update to code or layout which breaks the page. Although I can fix some things while a cache is active (and it gets tedious to be forced to redo my pages), it begs the question:

How can we truly have anything ever "archived" truly when the way the pages render after you can't even edit them anymore is constantly being monkeyed with? ????

Old pages should have rendering grandfathered in to how they were rendered at the time of authoring......... !

A CURRENTLY BROKEN EVENT PAGE RENDERING EXAMPLE:

Please see my NASA - JPL Event cache page:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f7fc60e7-9ed3-4cfe-af9d-3b3e63fd67c0

The relevant image: http://i52.tinypic.com/k46rm8.gif

THE NEW RENDERING IS COMPLETELY HORRID! IT IGNORED THE FACT THAT GRAPHICS HAD ALPHA LAYERS, AND PUT ITS OWN SOLID WHITE COLORED BACKGROUND BEHIND A TRANSPARENCY OF A PLANET.. The original page had a transparency between the planet and the sparkling space gif behind it and was much nicer than this new "improved" version. PLEASE FIX THE TRANSPARENCY ISSUE...

I've edited my two pages that had hints as hidden text that was reveled when my background image was suddenly moved to the forefront. I'm holding off on the other 123 active listings because I'm hoping that GS either reverses this, or gives us an option to turn it off. I have a background image on all of my listings. Now, some of them are not readable because the transparent background is much to strong. It also has made the round logo JPG for our local caching organization turn into a square with white corners.

I've been here for almost six years, others have been here from the beginning. When we hide caches, we try to be creative, both with the cache and the cache listing. We create our listings to be an advertisement to attract people to find our caches. In other words, we encourage people to geocache hoping that they become premium members, read the adverts, and buy from the affiliated vendors. When our cache pages suddenly become unreadable because of an idea some artsy Lacky had, we all lose.

Oh, by the way the updates really messes up the FSG html. Just another thing to put on you long list of broken stuff.

I think that may be related to the fixed page dimensions. The flags are quite distorted on my stats.

Note, on the GSAK forum, Mike, the macro author has asked us to be patient as he works though the problem.

New user accounts need to be created with a unique email address to allow for login by username or email, current accounts have been grandfathered

Not sure if my problem is related to this. I can (obviously) log into forums successfully. However, all three accounts in my household (myself and two daughters) can't log onto main geocaching.com site.

For ease of use and to monitor their accounts, I have my email as primary on all three accounts. I did this after an unknown adult male cacher attempted to 'friend' my 11 year old. So no, I do not want to change this setup.

I have two accounts, one premium, and one regular. Both work.

I have had problems logging in after past updates. Clearing the browser cache, or Temporary Internet Files, always cleared it up. If not, find your cookie folder and delete every thing that starts with Groundspeak and Geocaching.

Edited by Don_J

25941: Add Garmin Dakota to Garmin tab on Field Notes upload page

Text change on Field Notes to clarify supported devices

Also missing the Garmin NUVI 500/550 - which has the capability of field notes.

Nice waterproof transitional unit from car/bike to field searches.

It is still sold new at several retailers including REI and Dicks.

Perhaps I'm unique in this, but I logged three caches with yesterday's date, and after half an hour none of the logs show on my profile.

If I look at the caches, the logs are there and in a "nearest cache" search they appear as being logged by me.

It's just when I go to http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx - no sign of them there. I can't believe that such a serious problem hasn't been noted by others (although I haven't read all of this thread as the forum is loading very slowly).

Perhaps I'm unique in this, but I logged three caches with yesterday's date, and after half an hour none of the logs show on my profile.

If I look at the caches, the logs are there and in a "nearest cache" search they appear as being logged by me.

It's just when I go to http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx - no sign of them there. I can't believe that such a serious problem hasn't been noted by others (although I haven't read all of this thread as the forum is loading very slowly).

Just logged a cache. I have Firefox. No problems on my end. Showed up on my list rightaway.

I had exactly the same problem earlier and posted about it but then edited my post because I found out what was wrong:

The logs had been entered as 4th APRIL in stead of May.

Don't know if they've changed the date format in the log entry box and in my half asleep state I went into autopilot or if I just had a senior moment. But if it happened to you too perhaps something has changed.

I don't know if it was there before or the GC Angels are listening. In the upper right hand corner of the maps where it says :

Maps Beta | Beta Guide | Back to original maps

Yes Back to the original maps. Because I tried with Firefox, Chrome and IE. (Now I only have XP can't afford upgrade) haven't looked on the Macs but on the Beta maps NO SMILEYS. But when I hit the Back to Original Maps. SMILEYS!!!!!!!!! And my own PMO cachers are there too. Made my day.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Edited by jellis

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone, including the critical comments regarding maps and the new look. We will be reviewing each carefully and making updates to the site in response. I'll make sure the changes are communicated to you as they happen.

The fixed page width has come up several times, so I'd like to attempt an explanation into our thought process here. The choice between a liquid (expanding) layout and fixed width is one of appearance and usability. The main disadvantage to having a liquid layout is that Internet Explorer does not support the min-width and max-width CSS properties. The lack of this control is the reason you will sometimes find the right-hand log navigation "missing" on cache pages (in fact it is just pushed far to the right of the page, usually by a large image). ...

Well, that sometimes happens, but the majority of cache pages is fine. Now, everything seems cramped. A bit wider would be nice.

The fixed page width has come up several times, so I'd like to attempt an explanation into our thought process here. The choice between a liquid (expanding) layout and fixed width is one of appearance and usability. The main disadvantage to having a liquid layout is that Internet Explorer does not support the min-width and max-width CSS properties. The lack of this control is the reason you will sometimes find the right-hand log navigation "missing" on cache pages (in fact it is just pushed far to the right of the page, usually by a large image). ...

Well, that sometimes happens, but the majority of cache pages is fine. Now, everything seems cramped. A bit wider would be nice.

I think they do it because cachers who view caches on the phone app it won't fit. Stuff is huge on the phones when there is too much width on the image.

I had exactly the same problem earlier and posted about it but then edited my post because I found out what was wrong:

Don't know if they've changed the date format in the log entry box and in my half asleep state I went into autopilot or if I just had a senior moment. But if it happened to you too perhaps something has changed.

Aha! Yes, many thanks. The date defaults to American format, but as it's 5/5/11 today I merely changed the first part to 4 (as you do). I believe that one of the new changes allows you to change the date format to the international one but as yet I've had to "post a DNF" in my attempts to find the option. (edit) I've now found the option to change the date format; Fantastic!

Edited by Happy Humphrey

...The fixed page width has come up several times, so I'd like to attempt an explanation into our thought process here... The main disadvantage to having a liquid layout is that Internet Explorer does not support the min-width and max-width CSS properties... To maintain a consistent experience on the site...

Yet another reason to not use Internet Explorer... If the site is not friendly towards it, I bet people will migrate away... Incidentally, this is the same reason that most Spyware/Malware attacks are written specifically for IE...

So because IE is so poor we are forced into a universally poor solution? <_<

The 'consistent experience' you've achieved is an ugly, practically unworkable one on most monitors. I only own 6 caches, but I'm not sure I can be bothered to rework the pages, one will certainly have to be disabled as the puzzle no longer works.

Edited by williewandering

I know I'll be banging the same drum as many other people but I have two immediate concerns on the new site.

First and most important is the maps not working properly. For a while now it hasn't been distinguishing between found and not found, which is incredibly useful in an area where you have found some caches, but not others. I had hoped the update would fix it, but it has not. In fact the old maps tell me I can't filter the caches displayed and to go to the beta and turn personalisation on, but when I do the map sometimes doesn't show anything at all - even when it does the filters are not working. I do appreciate the fact it says it's a beta - but if it's only a beta why have you removed the functionality in the old maps before the beta is ready?

The other one is that now the site shows in the middle of my screen, so I have a gap down the left and right, which is a waste of screen space and crushes everything up in the middle. Not a major problem, just a bit frustrating when you're used to it taking advantage of the full screen.

I hope this is all constructive criticism and soon we'll see a website which really enhances the whole experience.

Cheers,

Neil

Are you in the UK West Midlands? Visit http://www.wmcaching.co.uk/

We face the same annoying problem with the small middle stripe display of the new site; also see our posting below.

Edited by Citianer

Now that we can access the old maps I am happy and sure they will listen to some of the other problems, such as fixing the beta maps, and why the cache page logs are now too wide. And any other problems

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks, the pq full of all ready found caches. useless.

I must disagree with this opinion. The PQ of found caches is enormoulsy useful, and fun. You just have to know what to do with it.

When I'm looking at map and want only unfound caches and get a PQ with found caches that is a waste of server cycles and total waste of PQ's. If I want my found caches I'll run the my founds PQ.

No, I still dissent. When I have friends come in from out of town, I routinely run PQs that contains found and unfound so I can give them the highlights in the area. It's only a single checkbox to make them appear or not. Having that flexibility is good.

Edited by TinSparrow

Thanks, the pq full of all ready found caches. useless.

I must disagree with this opinion. The PQ of found caches is enormoulsy useful, and fun. You just have to know what to do with it.

When I'm looking at map and want only unfound caches and get a PQ with found caches that is a waste of server cycles and total waste of PQ's. If I want my found caches I'll run the my founds PQ.

No, I still dissent. When I have friends come in from out of town, I routinely run PQs that contains found and unfound so I can give them the highlights in the area. It's only a single checkbox to make them appear or not. Having that flexibility is good.

But that't only one example. The problem stated is if you run a PQ with 1000 caches and you found 999 of them then your PQ has only one cache you can find.

Edited by jellis

To start with: I really like the new look. (using Firefox 4.0.1) It's friendly and the main navigation (now in the top line) has been somewhat improved.

But I don't understand what's gotten into Groundspeak, as they DECREASED the used screen space when implementing the new design?

I'm sitting in front of a 24" screen to - guess what - use the complete screen area for content display, not only a small middle stripe. This is a very annoying degradation w.r.t. the "old" design! From my 53 cm visible screen width, the new Groundspeak design only uses a middle stripe of 24 cm, that's LESS THAN 50% of the available space! What for? As a result, all the lists displayed are very much longer than before, since all titles and messages now need 3-5 lines instead of 1-2! E.g. look at the List Management overview: Even the "Create pocket query" entry in each data record needs 3 lines now! Or take a look at the "Your Profile" overview! Or check this one: http://coord.info/GC2RC6Q. Or look at any multi-cache site with a longer description ...

And, what's the use of the large background stripes to the right and left? I'd guess, they want to use it for ads later on; if so, being a premium member I pay for looking at the GC.COM content, not on any ads! Additionally, using more than 50% of the screen width for displaying nothing or ads would really be inacceptable!

They managed to improve screen size use (full screen window mode) in the Maps beta version, fine. So why don't use this incredibly "new" full screen size feature for all the GC.COM pages? That's not rocket science, is it?

Happy Caching!

The Citianers

PS: The beta maps seem to be an improvement. But currently I find two symbols for multi-caches: yellow double-box icons for some and yellow dots for others; you can only switch off the yellow double-box ones ...

Additionally, the maps don't work correctly yet: E.g. the just published http://coord.info/GC2RC6Q: In the small detail map the cache is clearly located. Clicking on the "view larger map" link next to this small detail map opens the beta maps, but therein the new cache isn't displayed!

What is the purpose of this change ?

I can think of several good reasons why more two or more members of a family might need or want to use the same email account for their individual user accounts.

I would consider this a "reduction in service" if it is left in place.

After playing around for a couple of hours I am getting to like the new site and layout.

The width thing is not a problem for me as I use a 10" netbook all the time and the page fits perfectly - if it stops having to scroll sideways on certain cache pages then that's a plus. Would be nice to find a happy solution for those with bigger screens but please don't fix the width too wide or those of us on small laptops will be forever scrolling sideways. I can understand how frustrating it must be to be looking at a narrow strip down the centre of a lovely big screen so there must be a solution for that.

I like the compact drop down menus across the top of the page that free up the left hand column, that's loads better.

Hopefully the maps will get sorted very soon, and the script writers can get the broken firefox scripts back up and running (especially the map ones and the ones that move the Personal Notes section and hide the disclaimer bar).

Other than that I think once the shock of "Arrgghh it's different" is gotten over there are some genuine positives in the new site design.

Until recently, I could log new caches on the web site and then after refreshing the page the icons on the map page for the recently 'found' caches would have changed to the 'found' icon. This now does not happen for quite some time (I haven't times this exactly). Why the slowness to update now?. This seams a step backwards.

Also, I have just logged 4 new finds. The total found caches shown in my profile has been updated but the new finds are now yet shown in the 'Geocaches' list. Again, why the slowness to update?. Another step backwards.

Please stop 'tinkering' with the web site unless there is a real user benefit or at least don't make updates live until these basic functions have been tested.

Thank you.

I think that translucency should be a cache page option. Fortunately I only used background images on a few of my current caches, but when I did, I used them because it suited the design. It no longer does that. Instead, it interferes with the design. A simple checkbox next to the input background textbox on the cache creation page could have made it a user option.

This new translucency "feature" is disastrous for many existing cache listings.

If you really must have it, then make it optional, defaulting to turned off, so as to not screw up existing listings.

Aha! Yes, many thanks. The date defaults to American format, but as it's 5/5/11 today I merely changed the first part to 4 (as you do). I believe that one of the new changes allows you to change the date format to the international one but as yet I've had to "post a DNF" in my attempts to find the option. (edit) I've now found the option to change the date format; Fantastic!

Thanks chaps, I came on to log the same fault, but Lovejoy sorted it for me :lol:

BTW I like the look of the site so far, and it's pretty speedy at the moment but then most of the USA are still in bed.

Also, I have just logged 4 new finds. The total found caches shown in my profile has been updated but the new finds are now yet shown in the 'Geocaches' list. Again, why the slowness to update?. Another step backwards.

Have you checked the dates on your 4 new cache logs?

A couple of us have been caught out this morning by changing 5/5/11 to 4/5/11 to log yesterday's finds.

But this logs the find as being 5th APRIL and hence the found it log on the geocaches list drops down so they are not at the top of the list (which is sorted in date order)

See Happy Humprey's new thread: HERE

The new design is OK, but there are way too much features that I can't find/use in this new release:

- WHY THIS FIXED SIZE !!!

I understand that IE users somehow are still a good amount of the total users. Fair enough, make an If statement for them, let them use the narrow design. If it's OK for them, they'll stay with IE, if not they'll change. But let others, who also represent a lot of users, profit from using a good internet browser respecting standards and offer us a site that uses the whole width! I personaly use FF/Chrome and 17"/23" monitors. And I don't want to spend my whole time on GC.com scrolling down because of a browser I don't even use!

- The old map is working again. Great! However, it's way to narrow (see above...).

Moreover, when I zoom out too much, the error message with the 500 caches now appears as a simple question mark.

- The new map is cool, I really like it. Would be better if PMO caches were only visible for PM. I also don't care, as a PM, which caches are PMO. So I don't see the point having an extra icon for those caches. It's only confusing as when I zoom out to a certain range, all PMO caches are just the same regardless of whether they're tradis, multis or mysteries. And that is bad!

What's more of a problem is that I can't find a way to differenciate between active and inactives caches like in the old map.

Also, it would be great, and probably not that difficult, to save the state of the "use personalization" checkbox, so that I don't have to check it again everytime I open the new map.

A collapsable side panel listing the caches wouldn't hurt too. At least for certain zoom levels. If it's possible to do it with the personalization, it shouldn't be that hard to make the same with a caches list.

- When viewing my profile, I usually used to filter my founds by "last found". That appears to no longer work!

Of course, another annoying point is that the tables are spread onto so many rows, see above...

Edited by Gillala

Another issue with the Beta maps: disabled caches appear without anything to show they're disabled. It would be better if they were greyed out as they were before, or at least a filter added.

Sorry if this has been reported before but I couldn't see it anywhere. [Edit: I see the previous post mentions the same bug, but it was added whilst I was reading all the previous comments ;)

Mark

Edited by MTH

Have you checked the dates on your 4 new cache logs?

A couple of us have been caught out this morning by changing 5/5/11 to 4/5/11 to log yesterday's finds.

But this logs the find as being 5th APRIL and hence the found it log on the geocaches list drops down so they are not at the top of the list (which is sorted in date order)

See Happy Humprey's new thread: HERE

Yes, many thanks, I hadn't noticed that change.

Edited by Headlanders

Why would you produce a map without a key?

With the beta map I see more territory and more caches. But, I can not find a way to identify those icons? How am I supposed to know which cache goes with which icon?

The old maps had a numbered key which corresponded to numbers next to the cache icons.

I really miss the map numbers and list option very much.

I used the list almost everytime I looked at the old map.

For me, the lack of numbers and list reduces the usefulness of the new map by at least 50%.

It needs to be there, even if only as an option.

I have to say with the possible exception of personalization not being on by default on the beta maps, (why would you want to view the map with out it?) that I very much like the new site.

I have tested the new maps in both IE9 and Firefox 4 and all personalization and filters are working just fine.

I have several cache pages with backgrounds and have checked others including all the examples mentioned here, all are perfectly readable.

Extra white space not a problem for me but I guess thats because I happen to be running a resolution that works with it I can understand others with a higher res will have issues.

Several people have mentioned text boxes such as the "email a user" and cache description being to small, these and others can all be enlarged by dragging the bottom right of the box out.

My opinion about the new design.

It is a joke.

The subpages have the same design as the old one. Oh sorry, not the same, the color is slightly different.

The only major change is that the menu was drawn from left to top. Woho!

A great evil, in my view, is the semi-transparency in the cache description.

Thus, it is not, or very difficult to read the description for caches with a background image, because the background image shows through too much.

Sorry, but for 6 hours downtime I've hoped for since more.

Hopefully at least the performance problems are fixed and the page loads faster.

It's nice that hidden waypoints are displayed in the Print-Version now.

But please give them a bit space in between... when displaying the Printversion of a Cache with many Hiddenwaypoints (Multi-Cache f.e.) you can't easyly read the different waypoints.

I have to say with the possible exception of personalization not being on by default on the beta maps, (why would you want to view the map with out it?) that I very much like the new site.

I have tested the new maps in both IE9 and Firefox 4 and all personalization and filters are working just fine.

I have several cache pages with backgrounds and have checked others including all the examples mentioned here, all are perfectly readable.

Extra white space not a problem for me but I guess thats because I happen to be running a resolution that works with it I can understand others with a higher res will have issues.

Several people have mentioned text boxes such as the "email a user" and cache description being to small, these and others can all be enlarged by dragging the bottom right of the box out.

Nope, No can do - Doesn't work for me.

Lot of talk about fixed width, why not go with fixed width in the 1400-1600 range instead of 800-1000?

I am truly happy that some of you can afford monitors that are larger than my television, but setting a fixed width of 1600 would effectively present me with with the left half of the page, forcing me to scroll back and forth. I don't understand all of the nuances involved, but no one seemed to have a problem yesterday. If the only reason that this was changed is because some people put too large of an image in their cache description, would the better fix be to limit the width of that we can use?

I have to agree with this. I have an older monitor as I never had need to buy a large one for computer work. I would be scrolling back and forth on the page trying to read stuff if fixed width was that high.