Terrian 1

Like many I submitted my first cache with a terrian of 1 and the reviewer suggested that I move it to 1.5 if it wasn't wheelchair accessible, this was fine.

But how accessible does it need to be? e.g. I have a cache which is on a flat, public footpath and the cache is at the bottom of a bridge support - slightly below the ground level. A cacher in a wheelchair could get right to the cache location, but could they retrieve the cache? Or do Terrain 1 caches need to be grabable from a sitting position?

The person in the wheelchair should be able to reach it without risk.

So it should be a few feet (1/2 mtr) or so off the ground but not to high. On or below the ground or over four or five feet up would not be accessible to many in wheel chairs. Imagine coming alone in a wheelchair and being able to see it but not reach it, not a happy caching trip for someone.

Do include in your cache description about the flat well made paths etc. but say an able bodied person would need to reach it or similar, I would not use either the wheelchair accessible or the not wheelchair accessible attribute, this way you will not invite a lone cacher in a chair down and will not have your cache immediately rejected by someone in a chair, as they will then read the cache page and make their own decision, but you can include the pushchair attribute.

Like many I submitted my first cache with a terrian of 1 and the reviewer suggested that I move it to 1.5 if it wasn't wheelchair accessible...

Huh? I know that a T1 should be handicap accessible, not necessarily wheelchair accessible. Isn't that why we have a 'Wheelchair Accessibility' attribute?

Is there a written guideline somewhere that specifies the criteria for a T1 cache? I'm seeing a lot of "facts" been thrown around without citing any sources.

I have had caching friends that were temporarily in wheelchairs that were upset with many T1 caches because they were unable to get to them. Yet, on the other hand, I have heard from permanantly wheelchair bound cachers that scoff at the T1 rating.

A friend of mine started a thread a while back called Where Can You Wheel? It makes for a rather interesting read.

Is there a written guideline somewhere that specifies the criteria for a T1 cache? I'm seeing a lot of "facts" been thrown around without citing any sources.

Ratings for Difficulty and Terrain

Like many I submitted my first cache with a terrian of 1 and the reviewer suggested that I move it to 1.5 if it wasn't wheelchair accessible...

Huh? I know that a T1 should be handicap accessible, not necessarily wheelchair accessible. Isn't that why we have a 'Wheelchair Accessibility' attribute?

my turn to say huh?...its same thing for the purpose of terrain rating

tbh i think the intention was to refer to wheelchair accessible, handicaps can come in many forms

i think they should change the wording in that guideline

Edited by t4e

Let's invoke the Dewey Rule and define our terms: how are we defining the difference between "Handicap Accessible" and "Wheelchair Acesssible"? To me they are interchangeable for geocaching, but clearly not everyone thinks so.

As far as why have a Wheelchair Accessible attribute: because while every Terrain 1 cache should be Wheelchair/Handicap Accessible, not every Wheelchair Accessible cache is Terrain 1. A cache could be accessible from a paved path, concrete sidewalk, or wood boardwalk which itself is wheelchair accessible but the cache could be far enough from the nearest parking/trailhead to earn Terrain 2 or higher; guidelines indicate that more than 1km aka 2 miles (approximately) is Terrain 2.

Even if we were to consider that page to be a part of the hiding guidelines rather than merely instructional (which is how I take it), all it says about T1 is

Terrain is likely to be paved, is relatively flat, and less than a ½ mile hike is required.

I am hearing things like, "it has to be reachable from a sitting position" here.

Even if we were to consider that page to be a part of the hiding guidelines rather than merely instructional (which is how I take it), all it says about T1 is

Terrain is likely to be paved, is relatively flat, and less than a ½ mile hike is required.

I am hearing things like, "it has to be reachable from a sitting position" here.

Thats been the generally accepted (if not written) definition that I seen used since about 2003.

Thats been the generally accepted (if not written) definition that I seen used since about 2003.

Oh, sure... I agree with you there. Same is true in my area. I'm simply questioning the validity of that definition. There are very few caches other than skirtlifters that would fit the commonly accepted definition.

Let's invoke the Dewey Rule and define our terms: how are we defining the difference between "Handicap Accessible" and "Wheelchair Acesssible"? To me they are interchangeable for geocaching, but clearly not everyone thinks so.

I know a number of people that due to health concerns have the status of 'handicapped' but they aren't wheelchair bound. Walking with a cane or having debilitating chronic injuries perhaps. Some with CP aren't in a wheelchair but have advanced mobility issues.

As far as why have a Wheelchair Accessible attribute: because while every Terrain 1 cache should be Wheelchair/Handicap Accessible, not every Wheelchair Accessible cache is Terrain 1.

Not to sound insulting but that makes absolutely no sense. It is either wheelchair accessible or not, it doesn't mean it is flat and you can roll things on it.

And then there's the cache placed on a wheelchair-accessible trail ... and even that one has me scratching my head. (FWIW, the cache owner never claimed the cache was accessible ... just an example I'm picturing.) I wanted to take my scouts on this one, because I've got a girl who will require that sort of hike ... it's paved and all ... but it's remarkably uphill (or down, I guess, depending where you start) and of course there are branches and other nature debris all over the place ... how on earth is a wheelchair-bound person supposed to deal with that? I think my troop would enjoy adding another cache to the trail, though, and that area is our best opportunity to be completely inclusive and still out in the woods. Fortunately my young scout in question uses a walker rather than a chair, but it's still gonna be a difficult walk for her ... and with a recent camping trip with a wheelchair-bound scout leader, I'm beginning to wonder exactly what DOES constitute accessible. It's been eye-opening for me, to say the least.