Advice on hiding a few caches

VryBurgers

Greetings all! Hope you are keeping well and warm before the winter hits?

I am very keen on starting a series of caches in the old Republic of Stellaland as there are almost none in this area and because it would be a great series with interesting information, nice hides and it would be the farthest one to the North West of the country. I have read all the info there is to read on the website regarding hiding caches, I have my co-ordinates and all the info is ready in a word document just to copy and paste when actually creating the hides.

Before I jump into it however, I thought to first check with you guys for some advice, tips and procedures that I might have missed or should take note of that you have realised during your experiences of hiding some caches. Things I was wondering about was:

a) Should there preferably be micro, small and normal sized caches? (At the moment most would be micro with one small)

'b ) Can all be traditional or should I attempt a multi?

c) What type of additional info should I give the reviewer?

d) How many should I try and put in the series at first? (I can always add later, right?)

e) Should I hide the cache first and then put it up for review, or should I wait for the reviewer first before I hide it?

f) I have plans for one out on the farm... would that be too rural?

Please add anything I might have missed or any ideas and tips that would make it more enjoyable for cachers.

Thank you!

Edited by VryBurgers

a. The environment should lead you here. Personally I prefer the bigger sizes. I don't like a micro on a koppie at all!

b. A multi makes sense where you want the cacher to see a number of interesting, connected things, preferably not too far apart.

c. The reviewer may want to know about access. If you hide the caches on private property or in a game reserve, this may be an issue. But don't worry - he will ask if he requires additional information.

d. I suggest start small and see how it goes. Be warned that your area will probably not receive a lot of finds - it is quite remote.

e. Normally I hide first and review later. The exception would be when you expect problems - then it will make sense to ask the reviewer's opinion first.

f. Farms are fine, as long as you arrange easy access. I do not like to have to phone the owner before I go looking for a cache.

Greetings all! Hope you are keeping well and warm before the winter hits?

I am very keen on starting a series of caches in the old Republic of Stellaland as there are almost none in this area and because it would be a great series with interesting information, nice hides and it would be the farthest one to the North West of the country. I have read all the info there is to read on the website regarding hiding caches, I have my co-ordinates and all the info is ready in a word document just to copy and paste when actually creating the hides.

Before I jump into it however, I thought to first check with you guys for some advice, tips and procedures that I might have missed or should take note of that you have realised during your experiences of hiding some caches. Things I was wondering about was:

a) Should there preferably be micro, small and normal sized caches? (At the moment most would be micro with one small)

'b ) Can all be traditional or should I attempt a multi?

c) What type of additional info should I give the reviewer?

d) How many should I try and put in the series at first? (I can always add later, right?)

e) Should I hide the cache first and then put it up for review, or should I wait for the reviewer first before I hide it?

f) I have plans for one out on the farm... would that be too rural?

Please add anything I might have missed or any ideas and tips that would make it more enjoyable for cachers.

Thank you!

Wonderful that you are planning a series in NW - always good to get new caches in new areas. It is a bit like "field of dreams" - if you place them - we will come :)

Now your answers

a) Cahcers generally prefer larger cache containers - so if I have driven close to Mafikeng and then find a micro container out in the veld or along a road near a minument, when a lunch-box size could easily have been hidden - then I would have prefered a larger cache. However, if the cache is in the middle a park in town, then even a small nano would be fine.

b)That is up to you - generally traditional caches are easier to find. But if you need to cover 2 or 3 sites and a good hiding place is a few 100m away - then a multi is a good way for finders to get to all the required sites (e.g. a grave, a monument and a statue - in a busy park - but the final location is down the street in a quiet area where the cache is secure). So it is up to you and the cache location.

c) Perhaps send a mail to ROTSIP to see exactly what he would like - but you can also read the "Sticky" thread at the top of the SA Forum page for info. Generally you need to provide info about permission to place the cache and if there is any concern about maintaining it, any access fees etc..

d) My take - start and you can add later - and even edit your earlier caches if needed (add additional cache numbers etc.). If you give the caches names like "Stelland Series 1: xxxxxxx" etc. then you can just keep adding as you need to. However, think about what would happen if one gets muggled - will it be odd if one is missing (especially in a year or two if your situation has changed).

e) Personal preference, but be prepared to remove/move the cache if the reviewer has concerns. My preference is always to place the cache and then send the review, but other cachers do it differently.

f)No - as long as there is adequsate access and permission from the farmer, and he does not mind cachers coming at strange hours of the day/night/year - then go for it. I prefer caches outside of town to those in town.

My extra advice - dont over analyse or think - just get out there and place the caches - we look forward to finding them.

Sounds great. I will be in SA again in December and will definately be looking forward to doing your series provided it is not too far from Rustenburg. [;)]

I think your queries have all been addressed by the responses above.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice all. I shall apply it as soon as I get all the little details sorted out. You are all welcome to come and visit us and the caches here in Vryburg. We are about 3 hours drive west of Rustenburg depending on how good the roads are!

I have had some other things take up all my time lately, but the first cache is almost up and running! What I would like to know after reviewing all the information above: you guys mentioned that you don't want to drive 50km only to find a micro on a koppie where a normal sized cache would have been possible. Vryburg is however not really such a big town, so if there were to be one or two normal sized caches and then lets say 4 micro's or nano's would that still be acceptable to you? I just can't see the use in 4 normal or large caches in such a small area that would not be frequented that often.

Any opinions on this?