Boating and Caching

jgc3

Hi,

I was contacted by a reader (aka geo-twin)

of my geocaching magazine suggesting a

story about "Boating and caching"

Was wondering how many poeple out there

grab those or even hide a cache while

boating?

Any pictures or comments would be appreciated

and will perhaps be used in June's Magazine.

Thanks

In Berlin is a small round of 4 caches which are found at good weather conditions with pedal boat B)

You can find the 4 within an hour which is the usual time for boat hire there. Makes a lot of fun and laugh doing this in a team up to 4 (or more then one boat).

One of them was hiding from the bank but could reach from the water very easy. The others must be hide while boating.

Recently, in a log I made a comment to a cache owner about how I was working on a Know Your Local Cacher Challenge (where you have to find 3 different types of caches from 10 different cachers) and that in order to use them for the challenge, I was going to have to freeze my bottom off (ice was just recently out on the lake) in the kayak to go out to one of his island caches. He offered to take me along on a maintenance run to another of his caches in his '49 Chris Craft! Quite an offer from someone I'd never met! So, in meeting him, I took the KYLC Challenge beyond it's initial intent!

0f79fe38-aa9e-4fa7-9e15-6b3a0e344082.jpg54cc9342-9f57-4659-9761-a5cd85848b96.jpg

We made our way to 3 different islands (one was big enough to stop at both ends of the island) and all but one island had docks. The one without a dock usually had a beach that we would have run up onto, but the water was so high, all there was were rocks! Not a good combination with a beautifully restored antique wooden boat. I crawled up onto the bow and leaned out to grab one of the rocks on shore while the anchor was thrown of the rear and pulled taught (almost pulling me into the water as I was leaning across the gap between boat and shore!). We then jumped ashore and tied the bow line to a tree, the two lines keeping the boat steady.

All in all, it was an awesome trip!

In warmer weather, kayak caching is a lot of fun, too. Nearby there's a lake with 18 kayak/canoe only caches. The lake is man-made and there's still enough stumps in the shallows that bringing a motor boat into the area is treacherous. Two of the caches were a bit older, and I had traversed the ice in winter to get them, but I got the rest on a late summer day. That was a fun trip with another local cacher. It was a nice enough day I spent a good deal of the trip with my feet hanging out of the kayak, dragging in the water. We only had to get out of the kayaks for 1 cache.

Edited by Too Tall John
this looks like a excuse to bring up boating, and if you want to talk about boating you should probably find a proper forum about boating, I'm sure there are plenty. :lol:
If someone asked what people liked about their GPS, would you tell them to go to a GPS forum? <_<

Either one is a tool that may or may not be needed to find a geocache.

this looks like a excuse to bring up boating, and if you want to talk about boating you should probably find a proper forum about boating, I'm sure there are plenty. :lol:
If someone asked what people liked about their GPS, would you tell them to go to a GPS forum? <_<

I saw it as nothing more than a way for you to brag about your really cool boat. Sweet.. I don't envy too often but do love your boat.

I saw it as nothing more than a way for you to brag about your really cool boat. Sweet.. I don't envy too often but do love your boat.

That wasn't TTJs boat. It belonged to another local geocacher. It's a gorgeous boat.

I actually bought my first GPS with the intent on using it for navigation using my kayak. I think I've only done that a few times but have used it for geocaching a lot more. I've done numerous boat access only caches and hope to do a lot more. There is a local cacher that has placed three different series of caches that consist of a 10 or so caches each along navigable creeks in the area.

Some areas have a high density of caches or caches along power trails that can be found. Some areas have a lot of lakes and rivers in the area where people place caches. Both are valid topics of discussion.

I was just making a joke for anyone who saw the CCW thread would understand.

I would love to have a boat to get all of the boat caches in my area.

Where I live there are a lot of rivers, and there are several caches on rivers that you can only access by boat (or swimming if you're brave and / or crazy). In fact, there are some local cachers who put on a float event each year and take folks on their rafts or canoes to go get some of these caches. I think it's great fun myself.

We have one that's in the middle of a small lake.

You might say we're in the same boat, because I envy the cacher who owns the boat, too. It was a sweet ride. You can envy me that if you want. B)

I'm surprised so many people replied already. Thank you.

Would be great if you could post perhaps some GC numbers?

Would like to put some detail in the article so people know

where to look. Cheers.

I cache out of my kayak on a regular basis, both hiding and finding.

Thanks for the post. Would like to hear more if you'd wish

to post some more info. Much appreciated. I've never

gone and done a water cache, although got close a few times

so I think I'll try to get out and experience some myself.

I've hidden and found caches via canoe.

Perhaps we can find someone around where you are that could help??

If you want to share where it is..

There is a lake near me that has an island that I would love to put a cache on , but I don't have a boat .

Thanks. I guess you'd have to do a few water caches with a handle like "IHaveFish"

Appreciate the post, would like to hear more if you want to share.

In Berlin is a small round of 4 caches which are found at good weather conditions with pedal boat B)

You can find the 4 within an hour which is the usual time for boat hire there. Makes a lot of fun and laugh doing this in a team up to 4 (or more then one boat).

One of them was hiding from the bank but could reach from the water very easy. The others must be hide while boating.

Wow. A great experience. Makes you glad you're a geocacher.

Thanks

Recently, in a log I made a comment to a cache owner about how I was working on a Know Your Local Cacher Challenge (where you have to find 3 different types of caches from 10 different cachers) and that in order to use them for the challenge, I was going to have to freeze my bottom off (ice was just recently out on the lake) in the kayak to go out to one of his island caches. He offered to take me along on a maintenance run to another of his caches in his '49 Chris Craft! Quite an offer from someone I'd never met! So, in meeting him, I took the KYLC Challenge beyond it's initial intent!

0f79fe38-aa9e-4fa7-9e15-6b3a0e344082.jpg54cc9342-9f57-4659-9761-a5cd85848b96.jpg

We made our way to 3 different islands (one was big enough to stop at both ends of the island) and all but one island had docks. The one without a dock usually had a beach that we would have run up onto, but the water was so high, all there was were rocks! Not a good combination with a beautifully restored antique wooden boat. I crawled up onto the bow and leaned out to grab one of the rocks on shore while the anchor was thrown of the rear and pulled taught (almost pulling me into the water as I was leaning across the gap between boat and shore!). We then jumped ashore and tied the bow line to a tree, the two lines keeping the boat steady.

All in all, it was an awesome trip!

In warmer weather, kayak caching is a lot of fun, too. Nearby there's a lake with 18 kayak/canoe only caches. The lake is man-made and there's still enough stumps in the shallows that bringing a motor boat into the area is treacherous. Two of the caches were a bit older, and I had traversed the ice in winter to get them, but I got the rest on a late summer day. That was a fun trip with another local cacher. It was a nice enough day I spent a good deal of the trip with my feet hanging out of the kayak, dragging in the water. We only had to get out of the kayaks for 1 cache.

Hard not to talk about boating when it involves caches around the water. :)

Classic. Well said.

What an idea. A float event. I like that. Would like some more info on

that and could help promote it in my events section if you wish.

Cheers

Where I live there are a lot of rivers, and there are several caches on rivers that you can only access by boat (or swimming if you're brave and / or crazy). In fact, there are some local cachers who put on a float event each year and take folks on their rafts or canoes to go get some of these caches. I think it's great fun myself.

We have one that's in the middle of a small lake.

Thanks for the photo and info. Sounds like a great day out doing those caches..

Maybe catch dinner while out there!

We have 13 caches on Lake Keowee in South Carolina. 12 are on islands and one is at the ramp we put in at. There are a total of about 35 on the lake and you can make a day of it.

Here is out cache boat, 2004 Triton 163 Sport, with Mrs. 2J2J at the helm.

tin-boat.jpg

I live next to Poole Harbour in the UK and have found a couple of caches by boat. I might place a few around the shores during the summer as there aren't many at the moment. I'd like to find somewhere to place a boat only cache but I am not sure where at the moment... :)

There is a lake near me that has an island that I would love to put a cache on , but I don't have a boat .

GC2T3K5 GC2TM5Q GC2T3MY the caches are at Curtisville Lake near Mannington WV . To most people this would be a small Lake . It was built back in the 70s for flood control .

Thanks and thanks to Too Tall John.

Would be great if you could post perhaps some GC numbers?

Here's a bookmark list of all my owned kayak caches & events. Feel free to use any images or cache page stuff you need.

-Sean

Sounds interesting. Thanks. Let us know if you manage to find the right spot.

Good luck.

I live next to Poole Harbour in the UK and have found a couple of caches by boat. I might place a few around the shores during the summer as there aren't many at the moment. I'd like to find somewhere to place a boat only cache but I am not sure where at the moment... :)

Thanks will check out the listings..

GC2T3K5 GC2TM5Q GC2T3MY the caches are at Curtisville Lake near Mannington WV . To most people this would be a small Lake . It was built back in the 70s for flood control .

I will have a look on google maps.. thanks

there is alot of water caches here in SC. Search Columbia, SC on the google maps, then zoom on in to the river and check them out. Then find I-95 and follow it down to Lake Santee and check out all the Kayak only caches in the upper part of the lake which is mostly swampy

That sounds amazing. Would like to hear more. Hard to imagine "few roads" for us city folk.

Where I live there are very few roads. None of the towns are connected. For caching locally on the islands we use boats. To cache in a nearby town we ride a ferry. Either could be done with a float plane but it's much cheaper by boat.

It would be nice to be able to search on things like "Kayak needed" or "hiking required". It seems that Kayaking would be a perfect fit with Geocaching.
Premium members can use pocket queries to search for caches in various ways, including by caches' attributes.

For more info on pocket queries, see:

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

For more info about attributes, see:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/icons.aspx

Thanks for the tip. Cheers

It would be nice to be able to search on things like "Kayak needed" or "hiking required". It seems that Kayaking would be a perfect fit with Geocaching.
Premium members can use pocket queries to search for caches in various ways, including by caches' attributes.

For more info on pocket queries, see:

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

For more info about attributes, see:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/icons.aspx