Can I log the smiley?

I searched for a particularly hard cache six different times over a year. Frustrated I finally logged my DNF. The owner emailed me with how to find it. I immediately went and signed the log then took my smiley. Is it okay to take a smiley if the owner had to tell me where it is?

Theturtlewayne

I searched for a particularly hard cache six different times over a year. Frustrated I finally logged my DNF. The owner emailed me with how to find it. I immediately went and signed the log then took my smiley. Is it okay to take a smiley if the owner had to tell me where it is?

Theturtlewayne

Yes. No doubts there.

There was a nearby 1.5/1 cache that everyone but me found easily. I made multiple trips to try and find this super easy cache, and just couldn't see it. The cache owner is a very funny guy, and after my multiple DNF logs he emailed me a photo of the cache spot, with a frog on top, and a big arrow pointing to the exact spot where the cache was hidden. You bet I logged a find on that cache after I went back and signed the log!

I've gotten help on plenty of caches from CO's and on some, I felt like the CO was holding my hand until I made the find. I've never even considered not logging them as finds. Help from CO's is part of the community aspect of geocaching and almost all of them want you to find their cache...even if they have to send you photos with frogs and arrows :D

I must be old fashioned of whatever. I do not ask for help finding even the hardest caches. If I can't find it on my own, by looking, reading logs, etc. I feel I don't deserve the smiley. Lately I have read logs where people have called the CO from the site and have gotten extra help and praised themself for finding the cache. Did they find the cache? Or did they just follow directions from the CO. Makes no matter to me if someone logs a find that way or not but I don't feel like I could do that. I feel the same about power trail teams, leap frogging practices, etc. But since it really doesn't hurt me any... But, I don't understand how they can feel good about these "finds". Just my thoughts.

Go for it.

I must be old fashioned of whatever. I do not ask for help finding even the hardest caches. If I can't find it on my own, by looking, reading logs, etc. I feel I don't deserve the smiley. Lately I have read logs where people have called the CO from the site and have gotten extra help and praised themself for finding the cache. Did they find the cache? Or did they just follow directions from the CO. Makes no matter to me if someone logs a find that way or not but I don't feel like I could do that. I feel the same about power trail teams, leap frogging practices, etc. But since it really doesn't hurt me any... But, I don't understand how they can feel good about these "finds". Just my thoughts.

I've found caches in varying states that didn't exactly match the D/T. One had fallen out of a tree and was laying in plain sight. I picked it up, signed the logbook, and put it backed where it belong. (Under all the specially placed sticks and bark). Then I claimed my Found it.

Edit: oh by the way, combing the logs for hints almost sounds like cheating to me. :anibad:

Edited by BlueDeuce

Theturtlewayne

Sure - why not - you found it - you signed the log. Just had an assist.

Go for it.

I've found caches in varying states that didn't exactly match the D/T. One had fallen out of a tree and was laying in plain sight. I picked it up, signed the logbook, and put it backed where it belong. (Under all the specially placed sticks and bark). Then I claimed my Found it.

Edit: oh by the way, combing the logs for hints almost sounds like cheating to me. :anibad:

You may call it cheating, I call it research, Takes more research to read through logs than making a phone call to CO to get specific directions. LOL Whatever. Noone wins noone loses, just a personal game. We play by our own rules.

I don't understand how they can feel good about these "finds". Just my thoughts.

oh by the way, combing the logs for hints almost sounds like cheating to me. :anibad:

. . . We play by our own rules.

Looks like you do understand, actually.

They feel good about getting help on the phone, because they just do.

Not every find has to be an incredible accomplishment.

P.S. Sometimes I play video games while reading a walk-through guide. I have more fun that way.

Guess I tickled a few nerve endings. Sure didn't mean to. I enjoy the challenge of hunting for a difficult cache and if I find it GREAT, if I don't, well I will probably try, try, try, again. I won't ask for extra instructions or "hints" to find it. Takes away the challenge of it. But that's how I play. I really don't care how others play. I just stated that I didn't understand feeling pleased with oneself if you do get the extra hints etc. But everyone is wired differently. I don't care how many caches a cacher logs in a day, week, year, etc. But when someone brags about 200/day and come to find out they didn't actuallly physically sign the logs themselves but on a leap frog team, well, I can only say, I don't consider that actually finding 200 caches that day. But if that person feels okay by logging those caches... so be it Afterall, no prizes awareded, no money passes to the winner, so no harm done.