Snoogans' Next Big Community Trackable Project

Snoogans

MODS: Please leave this thread in Geocaching Topics until it falls off of the first page. I will report it to be moved to the TB forum when it does.

This is your chance to get your own activated trackable on my next community trackable project: "Impaled on the Fence!" (working title. It may change)

This community trackable is a discarded sales sample of iron fence that weighs about 30 pounds and stands roughly 2.5 feet high and 2 feet wide. There is room to use self tapping screws to fasten trackables, but the cool feature will be that I can cable lock coins onto the crossmembers and be able to display both sides of the coin. I bought a swaging tool and 25 feet of cable just for this project. Coins and other 2 sided trackables will be very securely attached.

ANYONE INTERESTED in getting their trackable onto this community Travel Bug needs to contact me for the address to get your item to me in time for the launch.

So far Manofsteel73, Nov64, Houston Control, 007Betz, and Zeke's Uncle have been impaled on the fence for a total of 6 including mine.

It will be launched at GW9 in Warren, Pennsylvania on July 4th weekend. You have about 6 weeks to act if you want in for the launch.

My first community trackable project has been going for over 3 years and shows every sign that it will continue to travel for many years longer. It has criscrossed the USA from coast to coast and back again and been to 3 GeoWoodstocks while racking up 10,634 miles.

Not half bad for a discarded refrigerator door that was found lying in in the middle of an intersection.

This is what it looked like at release with 19 trackables aboard:

5eda4de8-0b62-4b89-b8e5-8e1e0f68ab75.jpg025a6121-4d7c-402c-b624-d94e2f655926.jpg

Here's how it looked after a year:

ee1f13ab-d928-4814-a5fa-dbd37ec3f8ce.jpg

And here it is today with 38 trackables:

e847ca45-aede-4dcc-84e8-b24a2fe2b33f.jpg

Edited by Keystone
impermissible reference removed by moderator

So far Manofsteel73, Nov64, Houston Control, 007Betz, and Zeke's Uncle have been impaled on the fence for a total of 6 including mine.

Make that 7 Trackables! 4 of which are coins + 1 trackable pin and 2 TB tags.

Edited by Keystone
impermissible reference removed by moderator
This post has been edited by Keystone: Today, 08:54 AM

Reason for edit: impermissible reference removed by moderator

P-word... bad? :unsure:

What a kewl idea! If you'll PM me an address, and a preference, (geocoins/Pathtags/TB tags), I'll get something in the mail.

In my last project, many folks chose to send a TB tag and a p-word tag.

I do not discriminate. Any trackable item will be incorporated if possible. Except, please don't send anything attached to your trackable. I may not be able to incorporate it. The Bloranges were lucky that their True Brit Spit was easily incorporated into the last project. (Note the Spitfire on the fridge door.)

Also, I have no idea if I could figure out how to add a Geo Gem in this project. Common sense says no for a Gem unless the owner includes some sort of mount, but if a trackable item can be screwed & glued, or cable locked, it's easily added.

In the last project, I accepted sig items that could be screwed and glued in place. I won't guarantee that in this case. The surfaces are smaller even though the potential is greater for cable locking more items to the crossmembers.

Edited by Snoogans

How does it work?

Great question!

It is meant to travel from event to event and handed cacher to cacher. It becomes an awesome responsibility and thus moves slowly, but so far without a problem for my first outing.

CONDITIONS FOR ATTACHING YOUR COMMUNITY TB TAG:

#1 The tag you attach to this TB must be your own activated TB.

#2 You will never get your tag back. It will be permanently attached to the TB by cable lock,or self tapping screw and Gorilla Glue and some other permanent method such as a pop rivet.

#3 You fully agree to NEVER email a holder of this community TB to do anything other than thank them for taking care of it. Absolutely NO contacts to direct its movement or to prompt a holder to move it along.

#4 No destination goals that conflict with the overall goal of this TB to attend geocaching events and especially mega events. You agree that this TB can travel to any event at any time.

#5 No deleting discovery logs on your tag. Honestly, if you are the type to delete discoveries then why on Earth would you want your tag attached to this event TB in the first place?

#6 If it survives that long and we all know most TBs don't, Snoogans reserves the right to retire the TB after it has been in circulation for at least 4 years. (Much the same as Mary Proppins, it will make the odd special appearance at big events there after.) You can put up as many picture and activity goals as you like as long as you agree that the ultimate destination of this bug is to attend as many geocaching events and get as many discovery logs as possible.

Edited by Snoogans

#5 No deleting discovery logs on your tag. Honestly, if you are the type to delete discoveries then why on Earth would you want your tag attached to this event TB in the first place?

No deleting Honest Discovery logs

~bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

~bd

Burdon of proof.... :huh:

Why bother? It's a TB. Who would spend their quality time trying to run down whether all of their discovery logs were honest? Too controlly. Deleted logs create hard feelings that could get the entire community TB pitched into the nearest dumpster. Wanna risk it? :unsure:

Edited by Snoogans

~bd

Why bother? It's a TB. Who would spend their quality time trying to run down whether all of their discovery logs were honest? Too controlly. Deleted logs create hard feelings that could get the entire community TB pitched into the nearest dumpster. Wanna risk it? :unsure:

Blatant virtual logging of one of the numbers can still get it shut down. I would think if that was occurring the bug owner would be allowed to manage that before it was locked down for abuse. One or two here and there is hard to verify regardless if it's part of your project.

~bd

Blatant virtual logging of one of the numbers can still get it shut down. I would think if that was occurring the bug owner would be allowed to manage that before it was locked down for abuse. One or two here and there is hard to verify regardless if it's part of your project.

Well, there's that, but consider it on the scale of the past example... That would be one dead cell on a larger organism until the owner managed their problem.

There IS a TB on the fridge door that had once been a virtual bug. A misguided effort on the part of the owner. I helped the owner delete hundreds of logs and Groundspeak graciously reactivated it.

Send me an address and I will send a geocoin to attach..

How are the geocoins going to be attached? (Glue, Drill a hole and cable lock it, ???)

Should we drill the geocoin before we send it, or will you carefully handle that?

Thanks for setting this up!!!

I've not seen anything like this, looks fun, I'm in!

Couple of questions so i know what to send to you...You say you can cable lock the coins so they will be seen on both sides...does that mean you can see through the, erm, see-through bits of them?

So we send one of our own activated trackables...Does it need to be newly activated, or can it have done some mileage already?

Send me an address and I will send a geocoin to attach..

How are the geocoins going to be attached? (Glue, Drill a hole and cable lock it, ???)

Should we drill the geocoin before we send it, or will you carefully handle that?

Thanks for setting this up!!!

The unfortunate thing about the previous project was that 2 sided items like coins and p-word tags had to sacrafice a side to be attached to the fridge door.

In this case coins that don't already have a convenient hole will be drilled and cable locked to the fence so both sides can be seen and appreciated. :)

So we send one of our own activated trackables...Does it need to be newly activated, or can it have done some mileage already?

I don't care about any past adventures or mileage. You can send anything you have as long as the trackable is YOURS.

I am moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the Travel Bug forum. The moderators there are best equipped to deal with impermissible discussion subjects.

I can't use P-word either? :unsure:

head-in-the-sand.jpg

A little guidance please? <_< SHEESH! I'm NOT intentionally violating TOS. :rolleyes:

Fiddle sticks. Had to chase this down to the TB forum. How's it not permissible in the general forum?

Anyway, as soon as the site is broken^H^H^H^H^H^Hupdated I'll send a missive. Like to immortalize one of my dog tags, perhaps with something added with a touch of personality.

You can discuss a pathtag in this context, as being an addition to the fence. Discussing a pathtag just for pathtags' sake is best done in the pathtag website forums. You can't sell them here, or link to the website here, as it is a competitor's product. We're not going to delete the mention of pathtags being impaled on the fence, but we will edit out links to the pathtag website, or any posts suggesting that pathtags should be purchased for this.

Carry on.

You can discuss a pathtag in this context, as being an addition to the fence. Discussing a pathtag just for pathtags' sake is best done in the pathtag website forums. You can't sell them here, or link to the website here, as it is a competitor's product. We're not going to delete the mention of pathtags being impaled on the fence, but we will edit out links to the pathtag website, or any posts suggesting that pathtags should be purchased for this.

Carry on.

Then it appears that my good buddy le/ errrr Keystone was a little overzealous in editing a couple of my posts. I didn't do any of those things.

I forgive ya buddy. You know not what you do. :anibad:

Do you have a main traveler page for people to watch yet?

It will be up somtime next week. Earlier if I get a chance.

It will start with the bare fence and a reference point to show scale.

That much I can get done pretty quick.

As with the last project, I like to get a few more together to see the most pleasing way they can be arranged and attached. Two or three weeks to get a good updated shot on the TB page after a few more trackables roll in and then a final shot before it heads off to GW9 in the hands of Georeynozos. (Recently name changed to Georeyna.)

I'm flying to GW9 if everything works out. I'll be there working for Frozenbuns in the G-Proxy tent just to keep my GW attendance streak alive if I go at all. Not 100% sure if that will work out, but the TB WILL be there regardless.

In this case coins that don't already have a convenient hole will be drilled and cable locked to the fence so both sides can be seen and appreciated. :)

I'd like to drill the hole before I send my coin(s) - what diameter of cable are you planning to use?

YAY! Saves me time. B) I'm using 1/16 cable.

I am moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the Travel Bug forum. The moderators there are best equipped to deal with impermissible discussion subjects.

I can't use P-word either? :unsure:

A little guidance please? <_< SHEESH! I'm NOT intentionally violating TOS. :rolleyes:

Your guidance is found within the Geocoin Forum. Some guy named Rothstafari wrote the post. It has only been there since January 2006. :anitongue:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=120445

Check the first bullet point. Also the last one he added. I am interested in your project as a geocacher and not a moderator. I would just love to see my trackable move and be seen by others. My Falcon Loader Admin Brick still moves to this day. Pretty much all of my others are gone. I think yours will also keep moving so my brickage will be able to be spotted along the way.

Carry on.

Then it appears that my good buddy le/ errrr Keystone was a little overzealous in editing a couple of my posts. I didn't do any of those things.

I forgive ya buddy. You know not what you do. :anibad:

If you posted in the correct forum, you would have received the correct treatment. That's why I moved your thread. I don't have to be "up" on discussions of geocoin and travel bug issues - I just need to know how to move them into the capable hands of the subject matter experts. In cache reviews, we follow a different standard and Eartha would defer to me just as quickly if she received a question about what can be said on a cache page.

No problem, though. Good luck with your project and I hope to see you in my neck of the woods in July.

Thanks for the great response! B)

It appears that there are 13 takers so far from just this thread.

The total is 18 or 19 gc.com trackables and at least 2 of those p-word thingys. :)

I started the fridge door out with just 19 trackables and a few more of the p-word thingys. As far as I'm concerned this new project is already a great success for launch and there are bound to be a few more takers by the time GW9 rolls around. :unsure:

I think I'll laminate an "original cast" discovery sheet, put a metal grommet through it and cable lock it to the TB. What do you folks think?

If you're still looking for trackable thingies to staple to your post thingy I'd be interested in that address so I can send you one that I have sitting in my desk drawer. It was a coin that I won from another cacher as part of some random giveaway on the forums and I think that passing it on to this project would be fitting.

If you're still looking for trackable thingies to staple to your post thingy I'd be interested in that address so I can send you one that I have sitting in my desk drawer. It was a coin that I won from another cacher as part of some random giveaway on the forums and I think that passing it on to this project would be fitting.

Cool! I'll be accepting trackables up until June 25th or so.

I'll need to decide on an exact cutoff date, so I can be sure to have everything securely attached and get it across town to Georeyna before we all head out for GW9.

You make #23 to join.

Oh, me me me! I'm in with a couple questions. We name our own tags, is there a theme? A preferred name type? Not sure if I'm sending a TB tag or a coin, if it's the tag all you want is the one original dog tag, right?

Okay, that's it. I prefer an email through my profile to a PM, but I'll deal with whatever you're doing. Tag or coin, tag or coin...

Oh, me me me! I'm in with a couple questions. We name our own tags, is there a theme? A preferred name type? Not sure if I'm sending a TB tag or a coin, if it's the tag all you want is the one original dog tag, right?

Good questions...

I'm not controlly so whatever you do for a name is fine with me. However, If folks want to try for a theme, I'd say "Impalement." All the coins and TB tags will be impaled on the fence in some form or fashion. It's a pointy, black, metal fence sample. Maybe I'll call my tag "Vlad, The Impaler..."

Tags, coins, p-word tag thingies, anything that is trackable. I don't discriminate.

Good questions...

I'm not controlly so whatever you do for a name is fine with me. However, If folks want to try for a theme, I'd say "Impalement." All the coins and TB tags will be impaled on the fence in some form or fashion. It's a pointy, black, metal fence sample. Maybe I'll call my tag "Vlad, The Impaler..."

Tags, coins, p-word tag thingies, anything that is trackable. I don't discriminate.

Jolly good fun, sir. I give you "Castle Mischief's Look Twice (or you'll hit that fence!) Geocoin"

Good questions...

Jolly good fun, sir. I give you "Castle Mischief's Look Twice (or you'll hit that fence!) Geocoin"

Funny!

id like to be in

i got your address you emaild so ill send a tb.

its comeing from england though so may take a while to get there by airmail.

unless i can paypal you the cost of a tb to you and buy one of you.

and you send me the number so i can activate it :)