My new cache idea

Hello all.

This is an active cache so if you happen to be in my area DO NOT READ ANY FARTHER. SPOILER ALERT!!!

After getting a nice response on my last cache I decided to build a new one. It is not active right this second but that's cause i wanted to make a few improvements in the mechanism. This started as a easy job but grew into a rather complicated build. lots of rebuilding had to take place to get it right. unfortunately while building it i managed to cut two of my finger almost off on the table saw. This little mix up caused a LONG delay while i healed. About 6 months later i was good to go and so was the cache. here are some pics. any and all comments are welcome. I have another new idea already in the works but it will take awhile to design and engineer.

In order to open it you must first find it, read the story and figure out the proper order to arrange the slats the make up the top of the coffin. The solution is that you must reunite the three lost souls. There are 9 total skulls that you can make with the slats but only one combination will show three complete skulls at the same time. Once you do that you can then remove the key which has two sets of combination. You decipher the numbers and figure out which lock they belong to through trial and error. After that your in. hope you enjoy.

deadlycombocontainer2.jpg

deadlycombocontainer.jpg

deadlycombocontainer5.jpg

deadlycombocontainer4.jpg

deadlycombocontainer3.jpg

Well first off... Wow! looks like you combined the blueprints of a puzzlebox, cryptex, and the cryptkeepers house and mixed it all up, coming up with an awesome idea. Sorry to hear about the Saw... Dem tings are really dangerous. I have one too. ;) Mine has only gotten the back wall so far.

Anyway, I'd love to see some more detail in the building if you have a way to supply it.

Is the top three layered?

Have you thought to make the top cypher release the lock hasps without having to undo the locks? Not sure if that would be doable tho.

great work!!

Well first off... Wow! looks like you combined the blueprints of a puzzlebox, cryptex, and the cryptkeepers house and mixed it all up, coming up with an awesome idea. Sorry to hear about the Saw... Dem tings are really dangerous. I have one too. ;) Mine has only gotten the back wall so far.

Anyway, I'd love to see some more detail in the building if you have a way to supply it.

Is the top three layered?

Have you thought to make the top cypher release the lock hasps without having to undo the locks? Not sure if that would be doable tho.

great work!!

thanks.

The top layer consist of the bottom plate/guide rails and then the top slats. The slats have channels routed into them to slide on the rails. Then of course a channel cut out to allow the key to slide out when lined up right. As for the lock, at rist I wanted to make it so that the combo on top unlocked the box without any other lock device. The problem was in order to do that I would have had to take up a fair amount of space in the box in order to do it the way I wanted. The idea changed until I decided to use a master key that would in turn give the code to the outer locks. This also allowed me to help out cachers that were having tom much trouble. Its hard to expalin putting a picture together but giving combos to a lock is not. I have not had to give away the combos yet but if someone was getting extra frustrated or maybe had a litte kid they did not want to dissapoint I would be willing to do so.

WOW!!!

That is just amazing. The story of the container's creation, then the work involved to create a challenging cache and then to top it all off with that beautiful container!!!

Thanks so much for sharing this with those of us who aren't likely to be in Florida any time soon.

Two thumbs up.... :lol:

Thanks for all the kind comments. As for plans that wont be all the easy. I build on the fly for just about all the wood and metal work I do. I machine test and machine again. Since I never mass produce I just kinda Wing it. i could build another one now but i'm sure i would just wing that one to lol

VERY impressive cache idea! Hopefully your cachers put it back together properly for the next visitor.

There are people around here that can't seem to snap all four sides of a Lock 'n Lock container lid in place.

Good luck with your cache! It looks awesome.

I had a friend who believed the first step in any woodworking project was to cut wood. The part about putting finish of some sort on it was not one of the steps.

In any event, that is quite the cache. I've thought about doing something using a puzzle box, but worry that someone who finds it and opens it may not be able to put it back together, in which case it is history ... or that someone will use the brute force method to open it.

I'd go to Florida for that if it wasn't for Clan Rifster. If he found out I was in Florida he'd probably abuse his position to get even with me for the "lousy investigator" crack. :anibad:

Given my admitted inadequacies in the field of investigations, do you really think I could find you? :lol::lol::lol:

Well, we haven't yet established the efficiency of my evasive abilities. It may not take much investigative acuity to find me.

If you dont mind me asking how many hours went into that? It is amazing

i dont really know since it was built over time and not in one strech, but now that i have built one my quess is i qould build another one in a couple days. the painting would take another few days cause ya gotta scetch it all out first.

I just found this cache on Sunday May 29th. I am so grateful to Ampresearch in my area. His caches have always been amazing. He had another one that would blow your mind but it has been archived called, (The Bears Den). I learned from Mr. Ducky that Ampresearch has given him the cache to place in NH where it has gotten rave reviews. Here is the new location of this one: Rupert and Bailey. I learned Ampresearch is creating a new one and cannot wait to go it when it gets published.

Edited by seminoleshapman