'Print-Friendly' version of the pages

Couch_Potato

I like the fact that the 'print-friendly' version of the pages leaves off all the log entries, but I think it could be better. How about the 'print-friendly' page also stripping off the menu buttons on the left side and allowing the description to take up the entire width of the printed page? I would like to see the just the area with a white background from the current 'print-friendly' page to be the entire page, no green border, no menu buttons. That way there's not an extra inch of wasted paper on the left side of the printed description.

Does this sound like a good idea to anybody else?

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

I set my printer on BW and the lowest quality. Also I set it to print two pages on one in landscape. Saves on paper and ink.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

How about the printer-friendly version having the Microsoft Streets Map BEFORE the cache description? Many times the map gets cut in half (and doesn't print on page two) because of lengthy descriptions. A slight reorganization would solve that.

I also agree that I print in BW and 2 pages per sheet.

Markwell

I print on both sides of the paper. Allowing 2 one page descriptions or a single 2 page description to only use a single sheet of paper. The sad part is that I don't really do it to conserve paper, I'm just cheap icon_wink.gif

Unfortunately my printer currently won't automatically print on both sides. I have to manually feed the printed page back in to print the reverse side. There is an adaptor unit that fits on my printer that is supposed to be able to do this automatically. I may look into it.

I'm not lost!

I print on both sides of the paper. Allowing 2 one page descriptions or a single 2 page description to only use a single sheet of paper. The sad part is that I don't really do it to conserve paper, I'm just cheap icon_wink.gif

Unfortunately my printer currently won't automatically print on both sides. I have to manually feed the printed page back in to print the reverse side. There is an adaptor unit that fits on my printer that is supposed to be able to do this automatically. I may look into it.

I'm not lost!

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

How do you print 2 pages on one sheet. I have IE 6.0 and HP Laserjet printer.?

Newer HP drivers and I believe the standard Windows XP drivers have this functionality. In IE, go to File -> Print then click the Preferences button. On the dialog box that comes up, you should have a Layout tab where you can adjust the number of pages per sheet.

If your driver doesn't support this, I've also uses a printer utility called FinePrint that will let you do multiple page printing with almost any print driver. It has many other nifty features as well, but I really only used it for multiple page printing.

-Elias

I print the cache pages 4-up (i.e. 4 on one page)...rarely does a cache go longer than 4 pages, even with the printer un-friendly layout at geocaching.com, and folding the paper into quarters fits into a pocket nicely and the most important info is readable without unfolding it! It's very handy...

I'm looking for some guinea pigs to test something I threw together the other day for this purpose, actually.

This solution only works if you are using Internet Explorer version 5 or above, and it might require you to be running some flavor of NT (that's not a real requirement, but only due to the fact that I suspect the .reg file won't work on 9x; that's one of the things that needs tested.)

If you'd like to play, download http://216.202.195.127/cachesimple.zip and unzip it in your windows directory (if you'd prefer to put it somewhere else, edit the .reg file in notepad and change the value of "Script" to match the new location.) If you're concerned about security, note that both files are plain text and you can read them to make sure they won't compromise your machine.

Now, restart IE, go to a cache page, and let the magic begin: drop down the "tools" menu and choose "Cache Simplifier." If all goes well, you now have a plain-text black-and-white version of the cache suitable for printing.

Obviously this utility is dependent on the structure of the cache pages to remain the same, so don't be surprised if it breaks when the cache page format changes. Also, don't be surprised if it does weird things when you run it on something that's not a cache description.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Couch_Potato:

How about the 'print-friendly' page also stripping off the menu buttons on the left side and allowing the description to take up the entire width of the printed page? I would like to see the just the area with a white background from the current 'print-friendly' page to be the entire page, no green border, no menu buttons. That way there's not an extra inch of wasted paper on the left side of the printed description.

Sounds like a great idea! icon_smile.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:

How about the 'print-friendly' page also stripping off the menu buttons on the left side and allowing the description to take up the entire width of the printed page? I would like to see the just the area with a white background from the current 'print-friendly' page to be the entire page, no green border, no menu buttons. That way there's not an extra inch of wasted paper on the left side of the printed description.

Sounds like a great idea! icon_smile.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Couch_Potatoicon_biggrin.gifoes this sound like a good idea to anybody else?

YES - it's a good idea.

I'm a Mac-user so that cachesimple tool did not work, but that's OK. icon_cool.gif I can copy/paste/print on the back of some other old thing, the way I do now.

-----

froggy.gif You must be present to win.

quote:
Originally posted by Couch_Potato:Does this sound like a good idea to anybody else?

YES - it's a good idea.

I'm a Mac-user so that cachesimple tool did not work, but that's OK. icon_cool.gif I can copy/paste/print on the back of some other old thing, the way I do now.

-----

froggy.gif You must be present to win.

quote:

I like the fact that the 'print-friendly' version of the pages leaves off all the log entries, but ... How about the 'print-friendly' page also stripping off the menu buttons on the left side and allowing the description to take up the entire width of the printed page? ...

I'd also like to see a "print friendly" view with the log entries--all of them. Some times, the only way to find a cache is with the help of the log entries...

++cardobj