Hidden my first Cache

indy3050

Hi

I Hid my first cache yesterday, im not sure if i did something wrong but it's not showing up on the map.

It says this on my profile

Cache Issues:

* This cache has not been reviewed yet. Once it is published, it will be listed on the site. Check the logs to see if the reviewers have left a note for this listing.

does this mean it has to be reviewed by a moderator before 'going live'? If not, what have I done wrong?

Kind Regards

Hi

I Hid my first cache yesterday, im not sure if i did something wrong but it's not showing up on the map.

Cache Issues:

* This cache has not been reviewed yet. Once it is published, it will be listed on the site. Check the logs to see if the reviewers have left a note for this listing.

does this mean it has to be reviewed by a moderator before 'going live'? If not, what have I done wrong?

Kind Regards

Yes, you need to READ the guidelines. You did, afterall, check the box that says you read and understand the guidelines -- you have to check it to submit the hide.

Not only are they the "rules", but they are "need to know" things about placing a cache -- like there is a review process, and that it sometimes takes a little time to have your hide published.

That's exactly what it means. A reviewer will check the cache to make sure it complies with the guidelines.

The only thing you could have done wrong would have been if you failed to read the guidelines.

When you say 'check the cache' do you mean they will actually go and find it to check it or just check I've listed it correctly? Doesn't matter either way i'm just curious?

Thanks for your responses so far!

When you say 'check the cache' do you mean they will actually go and find it to check it or just check I've listed it correctly? Doesn't matter either way i'm just curious?

Thanks for your responses so far!

As Jayman11 said, a reviewer will just look over your listing to ensure it follows the guidelines for hiding caches. The reviewer will not actually visit your cache to make sure your coordinates are good or that there is actually a container there.

You have the option (and should use it!) to post comments for the reviewer to see before he/she approves/declines your cache. This is quite helpful if you're posting any special type of cache.

Hi

Cache Issues:

Kind Regards

I'm struggling to think in what way the message on the cache page was not entirely clear?

Hi

Cache Issues:

Kind Regards

I'm struggling to think in what way the message on the cache page was not entirely clear?

I'm struggling to think why you felt replying with such a message was A, worthwhile and B, helpful? but thanks anyway

Hi

Cache Issues:

Kind Regards

I thought my first (and only) cache was plain and simple, but the reviewer pulled me up (fairly) on whether it was wheelchair/pushchair accessible or not and suggested that although it might just be a cache and dash for me, unless it's the sort of thing any wheelchair user could do alone (including physically reaching the cache, if it were up high or down low) it should be upped from a 1 to a 1.5 at least. He didn't word it quite like that, but you get the gist. The other thing was the icons - some clarification needed there as to whether it was good for night caching, etc. I decided to drive back to it and have another look to double check, made adjustments, added some more info about accessibility and it got through.

Edited by Fianccetto

Have you found a lot of caches yet? (I ask because your profile only lists one.) If not, there may be some rules that you thought made sense but are better understood after you've had more practice. If you've got lots of practice, then it's probably just a matter of time.

The first thing I tried to list was an event, and it kept getting turned down by the reviewer till finally it was too late to list it. I think we were misunderstanding each other on what the intent of the event was, so in my case it helped me to learn to be more specific about how I worded things ... and to start the process a whole lot sooner! Recently we hid our first actual cache, and it went very smoothly.

Sometimes the reviewers can see things you might not be aware of, like members-only caches located too close to your hide, and they'll let you know. Sometimes they're just backed up with lots of other caches to review (weather's getting nice now with spring!) and it just takes time.

Lots of luck with it!

I'm struggling to think why you felt replying with such a message was A, worthwhile and B, helpful? but thanks anyway
You made the topic... can't control what replies you'll get after you make the topic.

It's an understood guideline that here in the Getting Started forum that snark, rudeness and sarcasm be left at the door.

And "courtesy" is point #1 in the Forum Guidelines:

1. Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated fairly.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Edited by Pup Patrol

I see that one of the intrepid UK volunteer cache reviewers has already responded on the OP's cache submission, explaining an issue preventing publication. The issue is not the OP's fault in any way.

This next-day review was provided even though the six hour downtime for today's website upgrade occurred during "prime time" evening reviewing hours in the UK. The volunteer team there is fabulous.