boy scouts geocaching

The best way to get new ideas for caches is to find more caches.

It has been suggested that the best cache hiders are those who have found more than 100 caches. You learn a lot about the game from finding caches.

I would suggest you shoot for 100 caches found and then come back and tell us what you've learned about geocaching. It will make you a much better cacher and a much better hider.

I don't agree with using bird's nests. It's spring, do you really want to kill off a bunch of birds? Just drill out a bunch of logs/sticks and drop some micro/nano tubes in them. Split a log in half and core out the wood. You can place some decent sized containers in there. Heck, grab an ammo can, pour wood glue all over it and roll it in sand/gravel. Spray with sealer and roll in dirt. Place in open. There. No major effort. Now use your own imagination and try it on your own.

im looking gor some advice on hiding geocaches at eagle project, or out in the woods. some thing unique different

i need ideas

Check out this site:

http://www.geoscouting.com/cache2eagle.html

Read about the "Cache to Eagle®" series. When caches are hidden near Eagle Scout projects in accordance with the Cache to Eagle® guidelines, they are eligible to be used by scouts working on the Geocaching Merit Badge in your Council/District.

Before you hide any, who is going to be responsible for the long-term cache maintenance? Actual long-term ownership of the cache is frequently a very nebulous thing with scout hides. If you can't answer that question, then just introduce them to finding caches, not hiding them. And since they will most likely be short-term geocachers, be sure to instruct them on responsible trackables handling and swag trading.

thank you for the suggestions ok how about this what geocaches and container would u put at a scout camp another cache fake bird nest

If you are planning on hiding it on BSA property and listing it here better make sure that non scouts are allowed to access the cache area. I suspect this will be a larger problem than designing the cache.

To my understanding the Boy Scouts have some very strict rules about placing caches and not harming the environment. If you have a local leadership council or some veteran scout masters maybe you could ask them for some advice? :3 That said, what ever you do you should have a lot of fun with it.

We came up with an idea for a local camp, but then we moved and the plan got dropped. We still hope to implement it at our new area camp.

There are 12 points in the Scout Law. Each point can be represented by a place in camp if you think hard enough. At each of those 12 locations, hide a letterbox type cache with a stamp in it. Have the HQ or trading post provide a book (we called it a cache-passport or cache-port for short) with each location provided in GPS coordinates. This is a patrol activity! Each patrol member must write their name in the cache-port for confirmation of who participated. With an entire week at camp, the patrol must work together to find and stamp all 12 caches with the corresponding stamp. Once the cache-port is full, it cam be redeemed for a special patch back at the trading post. It provides the camp with one more attraction for scouts, something else to help fill downtime, and an introduction to one of the newest merit badges, Geocaching.

The cool thing about this plan is you can use a variety of containers. For Obedient, we planned to place one at the Shotgun range, where following the rules is a must. Guess what you can hide in plain site at a rifle range? An ammo can!

Getting sponsorship for the program runs about $700 to start up (containers, 1st year patches, passports and materials), and depending on how busy the camp is, about $400 a year thereafter for patches. The camp can charge for the patches if they want. The biggest problem is once it has been done at the camp, repeating the activity for Scouts who want to do it again is difficult.

As far as an Eagle project goes, I don't think caching alone provides enough of a basis for one. The isn't enough impact in my mind, and while I have sat through dozens of Eagle boards, I would be hard pressed to think of a project that would qualify involving caching.