Small preview of the new look site

Gonna be some serious changes for Greasemonkey developers, too.

Anyway, I'm glad that they are attempting to clean up the confusing menu structure here. That has been an issue here as far back as I can remember. I also applaud Grounspeak for putting out that video, but they really need to send an email to all users about it, and not just put it on a blog that few cachers watch. Thanks to the OP for posting it here, anyway.

I also wish the video had covered more of the changes. But still, this was much better communication about changes than we've ever had before.

Looks cool. That is going to make the job for web scraping based apps developers tough.

Actually, if you structure the HTML code properly (IOW, build things the way they should be built), it'll become easier.

Didn't see enough of the site in that video to see a major difference in anything but the top & side navigation. geocaching.com/my/ didn't look to be changed significantly, and they barely showed the cache page.

Gonna be some serious changes for Greasemonkey developers, too.

Anyway, I'm glad that they are attempting to clean up the confusing menu structure here. That has been an issue here as far back as I can remember. I also applaud Grounspeak for putting out that video, but they really need to send an email to all users about it, and not just put it on a blog that few cachers watch. Thanks to the OP for posting it here, anyway.

I also wish the video had covered more of the changes. But still, this was much better communication about changes than we've ever had before.

Yup. It is always better when they at least try to communicate what is going on.

I also applaud Grounspeak for putting out that video, but they really need to send an email to all users about it, and not just put it on a blog that few cachers watch. Thanks to the OP for posting it here, anyway.

An announcement of changes coming was in last week's weekly newsletter. And this video is on the top of Geocaching.com's Facebook profile (which does not require that you're logged into the site to view, and is linked from the newsletter). And I'm pretty sure it was posted to Twitter (which you also do not need to log into to read).

I also applaud Grounspeak for putting out that video, but they really need to send an email to all users about it, and not just put it on a blog that few cachers watch. Thanks to the OP for posting it here, anyway.

An announcement of changes coming was in last week's weekly newsletter. And this video is on the top of Geocaching.com's Facebook profile (which does not require that you're logged into the site to view, and is linked from the newsletter). And I'm pretty sure it was posted to Twitter (which you also do not need to log into to read).

Something wrong with announcing things on your own web pages these days??

You mean like this?

Plus the banner which was up for the past week but seems to have been taken down now.

There's only so many ways you can announce things before people start accusing you of spamming the heck out of the community.

You mean like this?

Plus the banner which was up for the past week but seems to have been taken down now.

There's only so many ways you can announce things before people start accusing you of spamming the heck out of the community.

that only happened after all the complaining in this thread

The link I gave was posted 1 hour after the newsletter with the same announcement came out. Unless a Lackey comes out and states that the announcement was posted as a result of the thread you linked, I'm going to assume that it was posted to coincide with the newsletter going out.

I swear, some of you people won't be happy unless Jeremy personally shows up at your door with the information engraved on a stone tablet, with the message customized just for you, and a cake and balloons. It's not that hard to keep up with announcements from Groundspeak - just about every browser now has an RSS reader built in, subscribe to the blog so you get a notification when new things are posted. Subscribe to the newsletter. Check the other methods they have for disseminating information once a week or so. It's not. that. hard.

Edited by dakboy

The first thought is: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But that's never stopped anyone.

The second thought is: If 'top navigation' isn't in violation of ADA, it certainly should be! Wait until you young whippersnappers with bad vision have cataract surgery! I hurt my neck at work trying to read things at the top of the page. I don't need this in a site that's supposed to be fun!

The first thought is: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But that's never stopped anyone.
The current site is broken in many ways.

The second thought is: If 'top navigation' isn't in violation of ADA, it certainly should be! Wait until you young whippersnappers with bad vision have cataract surgery! I hurt my neck at work trying to read things at the top of the page. I don't need this in a site that's supposed to be fun!

From the video, you have no idea of whether those items will scale up (page zoom or text size increase in your browser), nor do you know how well it'll work or not work with adaptive technologies (screen readers, etc.).

Be careful, if you rush to judgement any faster you might get whiplash.

Edited by dakboy

Ah, but my finned friend, it is broken, very broken. Haven't you seen all 53 threads on the maps and smilies recently?

I love what they've done with the search bar. They haven't had a very good search engine in the past. I hope you can refine it more, like "betty boop" within WA state. I hate getting caches for the whole planet when I'm really not going to Antartica any time soon.

I wish they had of put some info on that video about maps too. We're all here on the edge of our seats to see maps upgraded and they didn't say a word about it.

I swear, some of you people won't be happy unless Jeremy personally shows up at your door with the information engraved on a stone tablet, with the message customized just for you, and a cake and balloons.

Ummmm cake! And baloons! I don't care about stone tablets and I don't understand any of the other stuff you said, but what day is Jeremy coming with cake and baloons?

Ah, but my finned friend, it is broken, very broken. Haven't you seen all 53 threads on the maps and smilies recently?

I love what they've done with the search bar. They haven't had a very good search engine in the past. I hope you can refine it more, like "betty boop" within WA state. I hate getting caches for the whole planet when I'm really not going to Antartica any time soon.

I wish they had of put some info on that video about maps too. We're all here on the edge of our seats to see maps upgraded and they didn't say a word about it.

Ah, there's the rub. It doesn't matter what it looks like if it doesn't work well. Two nights from now we will be discussing just that. How it works. Now, it is all a guess.

You mean like this?

The link I gave was posted 1 hour after the newsletter with the same announcement came out. Unless a Lackey comes out and states that the announcement was posted as a result of the thread you linked, I'm going to assume that it was posted to coincide with the newsletter going out.

I swear, some of you people won't be happy unless Jeremy personally shows up at your door with the information engraved on a stone tablet, with the message customized just for you, and a cake and balloons. It's not that hard to keep up with announcements from Groundspeak - just about every browser now has an RSS reader built in, subscribe to the blog so you get a notification when new things are posted. Subscribe to the newsletter. Check the other methods they have for disseminating information once a week or so. It's not. that. hard.

thanks for the lecture, i am subscribed to the newsletter and i also frequent the forums more than you do, obviously, so please don't tell me how long the "ball its been in their court" and they haven't bothered to toss it back...want an idea?....at least 2 weeks prior to the announcement

and FYI the yellow banner has never been put up there more than 3 days before the updates were planned for, but now its gone, so what does that mean?

also after numerous complains of "lack of communication" the yellow banner was introduced to keep people informed

Edited by t4e

Yes, I have seen those. Those seem to be a manufactured problem. We're going to use the beta maps, no matter what people think. Hey! Let's make the current maps unusable. Then people will like the beta maps!

Say you've been bicycling with your friends for years. Hey! We're getting you a new bicycle. But in the meantime you have to use this tricycle. By the time the new bicycle is ready, you won't care if it has two flat tires!

Yeah. That's been silly since I started caching. But that's a minor change. Surprised it wasn't changed a long time ago.

From the video, you have no idea of whether those items will scale up (page zoom or text size increase in your browser), nor do you know how well it'll work or not work with adaptive technologies (screen readers, etc.).

Be careful, if you rush to judgement any faster you might get whiplash.

Oh, I just got whiplash! Sorry, whippersnapper, I'm just a simple dolphin. The video shows the navigation at the top of the page. I've run into this problem before (as mentioned). Page zoom and text size ain't going to bring the navigation into my field of vision. So, stop being so condescending.

personally i would like to see the Knowledge Books made more prominent on the new site

Good point! I am just hoping that smilies for ALL caches will return, not just some and that once personalization is enabled, it stays that way. And PMO caches - you'd have thought it was my fault they weren't there........ :) Otherwise the new look appears pretty slick. Now I have to find my way around it!

the upgrade still planned for the 4th?...the banner announcing the downtime is gone

I'll be danged! You're right!!

Maybe they saw my suggestion above about sending a link to the video out via email, and so decided to postpone the update until they do that.

OK... not.

Edited by knowschad

An announcement of changes coming was. A link to that video was not. Facebook, Twitter, and Blog are N/A in my opinion and those of 90% of the cachers I know.

Looks to me like GC.com is making the website look a little more like Facebook. Probably not a bad idea, considering the number of internet users who are also Facebook users. I have no complaints after watching the video. :)

I don't know what you saw that looked the least like Facebook. Basically, I saw what I hope is an improved, regrouped menu structure.

An announcement of changes coming was. A link to that video was not. Facebook, Twitter, and Blog are N/A in my opinion and those of 90% of the cachers I know.

+1

You mean like this?

Once again... that announced that there will be a change. The question is, why was that video preview only announced on the blog that very few follow (I personally do not know of one single cacher that has even mentioned being aware of the blog to me).

You mean like this?

Dakboy... you need to realize that a very high percentage of geocachers are not computer savvy. Many of my caching friends contact me when they want to incorporate an image on their cache page, OK? Get it? Facebook, to them, is something that Martians do. Twitter? They've never heard of it. They just want to geocache. They're not itnerested in keeping up with the latest internet fads.

Anyone happen to notice where benchmarks ended up on the new geocaching preview? I couldn't see the link anywhere.

they are in the same place they are now. there is a link for their test site floating around on another forum...

There IS? Well, that's a first. Post a link, please!!

Once again... that announced that there will be a change. The question is, why was that video preview only announced on the blog that very few follow (I personally do not know of one single cacher that has even mentioned being aware of the blog to me).

What do you people want from Groundspeak? Clearly none of the steps Groundspeak has taken to distribute this information has met your needs, so why not tell them exactly how you want this delivered. I imagine at this point, you're expecting some kind of personalized, face to face service from them.

The blog is listed in the left-side navigation of every page on the site. Don't feign ignorance here, there's a link right to it staring at you on every cache listing, your profile page, your PQ pages, etc. You only aren't aware of it because you choose to not look beyond an imaginary box you've drawn on your screen.

Ah, there's the rub. It doesn't matter what it looks like if it doesn't work well. Two nights from now we will be discussing just that. How it works. Now, it is all a guess.

I really like the concept, at least, of a single textbox search engine. Since they are really just using the Google API for that, I think it will work. In recent months, I have been putting the current search engine through its paces by entering searches that I thought it would fail at, only to be surprised that it worked. I especially love the idea of being able to enter coordinates as one single text string!

Dakboy... you need to realize that a very high percentage of geocachers are not computer savvy. Many of my caching friends contact me when they want to incorporate an image on their cache page, OK? Get it? Facebook, to them, is something that Martians do. Twitter? They've never heard of it. They just want to geocache. They're not itnerested in keeping up with the latest internet fads.

Then you need to describe exactly what means you think Groundspeak should be using to get through to people.

Look, if you're going to engage in an internet-dependent activity, you have two choices: you can learn get with the times and actually pay attention to the changes that are happening in how communication works, or you can accept that fact that you aren't going to get every piece of news that comes along because you refuse to adapt.

These same people also wouldn't recognize if this news came to them via email. So how do you propose Groundspeak get the message out? Smoke signals? Telegraph?

I'm done. I'm not going to waste more energy trying to convince someone who doesn't want to consider anything outside their own little world.

Edited by dakboy

Then you need to describe exactly what means you think Groundspeak should be using to get through to people.

Look, if you're going to engage in an internet-dependent activity, you have two choices: you can learn get with the times and actually pay attention to the changes that are happening in how communication works, you can accept that fact that you aren't going to get every piece of news that comes along.

These same people also wouldn't recognize if this news came to them via email. So how do you propose Groundspeak get the message out? Smoke signals? Telegraph?

I already did. Email. I will add to that: this web site. Not simply a notification that something is going to change, but if they have better information, like that video, then put that information out in the lowest common denominator.

Why are you trying so hard to defend bad communication, anyway?

I'm done. I'm not going to waste more energy trying to convince someone who doesn't want to consider anything outside their own little world.

OK... now, THAT is offensive! I am tired of wasting energy trying to educate someone on the fact that not everybody has to, or wants to, engage in each and every little internet fad to come around. I'm referring to my friends here. Nobody asked you to be an apologist for Groundspeak, so if you chose to be one and later find that it is too much work, then perhaps you should be looking at Groundspeak as the reason for that, and not at their audience.