Unusual and surprised!

Wow :)

What a great day I had at the end of a trip with my best friend. I was on my way back from a trip to Kamloops and had almost taken the Canyon Route. The Coquihalla is a pretty monotonous drive so when I saw what looked to be a really nice place to have some lunch, we stopped for an hour. Yesterday was one of the nicest sunny days this Spring - May 1st. I poked around doing some rock hunting while having some lunch. A small creek feeds into the larger Coquihalla River. By the mouth of the creek is a tree trunk and as I had crouched down, there was what I thought was some camo linen. Some crafty person cut out camo printed paper and glued it to a container which contained a "winnie the pooh" toy and a rubber umbrella. I ran the case up to my friend and asked her "What the HECK is this stuff?" She was thrilled as she is a fan of Geocaching and told me all about it. It was very cool. I had a great day by the river on the way home and found a new hobby to add to my fishing and hiking adventures. Now I see there is a TON of stuff logged near my house in the Lower Mainland. What a fun activity. I'm planning a great cache to hide aleady. Thanks for hiding that cache, it was a great find :)

If I may be the downer here, I have a suggestion for you hide.

Don't do it. PLease wait until you are sure that you will continue to Geocache. The point of waiting is so that you are sure to continue playing and not just get a few caches, then abandon the one you placed. While your intentions may be good, the outcome may not be. I am far too tired, and I know I am not the only one, of looking for a cache only to find that it has many DNF's. Generally due to the fact that it has been muggled, never to be replaced by an owner who has long since moved on to another hobby. Simply wait a few months till you have a few caches under your belt, then go ahead and start placing them. I myself am trying out a system to only place one cache for every 50 finds, that way I know I am still enjoying and playing the game. This happens often as well, where someone will become quite smitten with the game only to lose interest or not have enough time to maintain their caches (which are THEIR property).

Case in point. A few months ago I had found a brand new, very large, cache in front of a local library. After it had logged a few finds and a few DNF's I went to assist some friends in finding it. Come to find out it was no longer there (and I should know where it was as I had found it previously). After placing a needs maintenance and watching it go unchecked for quite some time I checked the owner's profile to see what was what. Come to find out that they had enjoyed Geocaching on day 1 so much, they placed that very cache on Day 2, only to stop playing a few days later. The cache has now been archinved, but at the expense of a few frustrated cachers.

Now I am not discouraging you from ever placing one, I'm just asking you to wait a little bit.

Please, on behalf frustrated cachers everywhere, wait to place your first cache for a while.

Welcome to the obsession...

Try out this suggestion: Utilize your planning time for placing a hide on HUNTING out other geocaches, to see and get a feel for just how it is done. Plus too, there is a lot to learn about hiding a geocache -- plenty of "do not's", along with some "do's". Check them out in this link: Knowledge Books

There is nothing saying that you cannot hide a geocache at this time, but there is a process of getting it listed, so it helps to read a bit. The website is a little bulky (just changed, to boot!) at gleaning info from it, but it's all there!

Above all else, have fun, and enjoy.

nah just go for it
what he said.

I agree, anyone who says otherwise is just trying to put you down. Go hide it, then laugh when it turns out to be a better hide then any of his.

EDIT: Now I really had to laugh when he said he was "tired" of this when he only has 77 finds and has been playing less then a year.

Edited by Coldgears

That's a bit rough; caches that aren't there are just as frustrating to newbies as to veterans. Maybe more so, since we're still learning what to look for.

(Speaking as a newbie who has had a lot of DNFs that actually turned out to be muggled, misplaced, disabled right after we looked, etc ... and yes, I have verified those. I tend to have my kids in tow when I cache, so that slows my find rate a LOT and it's very frustrating when it turns out the cache is gone.)

I agree that it's not a bad idea to wait and get experience before the first plant, but no harm in planning while you go! Why risk losing a good idea? :)

nah just go for it
what he said.

I agree, anyone who says otherwise is just trying to put you down. Go hide it, then laugh when it turns out to be a better hide then any of his.

EDIT: Now I really had to laugh when he said he was "tired" of this when he only has 77 finds and has been playing less then a year.

Yeah, be an a**. I'm saying it as in my area (and across the nation through talking with other cachers) there are one-hit wonder cachers everywhere. They seem to be an issue in my area, and as such I feel I have a right to say don't. Just because I haven't found 100 or 1,000 doesn't mean I'm wrong.

To OP, I'm not saying you shouldn't eventually do it but to put it off to be sure that you really do enjoy the game so much that you'll continue playing for years to come.

To my detractors, sod off and go be oldbies on Gaia. That's the only place it really seems to matter on the internet.