...I've got a gun

If you live your life in fear; the terrorists have won.

If you allow yourself to be bullied; the bullies will continue to bully others.

Someone has to stand up to this behaviour before freedom is a just a slogan and a memory.

IMO

Please post the results of your efforts to raid the crazy lady's compound when you get back. :rolleyes:

Someone has to stand up to this behaviour before freedom is a just a slogan and a memory.

IMO

ROFL!! Dude.... Dude...!! :lol:

This is a little old lady living out in the countryside on her farm in California. (well, I am imagining the little and old part). I don't think that standing up to her is going to change much in regard to terrorism or the country's attitude towards it. Relax a little. Sheesh!! :blink:

IMO

But, you're the one being a bully. She is in her part of the world and we're intruding on her. She feels threatened and intimidated and you're re-enforcing that behavior.

One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist.

Her part of the world? She owns all the public land within driving distance and is allowed to threaten strangers who have done nothing wrong because she may or may not be afraid of some non-existant threat and you call the cachers bullies? When did walking on a public road become an act of bullying? The only bully I see is a woman who drives her car up to strangers on the road and threatens them with having a gun because they are within some unknown proximity to her property and you want to re-enforce this behaviour by running and hiding and giving her everything she wants. What will she decide she wants next, who will she threaten with her gun next? Wake up.

IMO

This is a little old lady living out in the countryside on her farm in California. (well, I am imagining the little and old part). I don't think that standing up to her is going to change much in regard to terrorism or the country's attitude towards it. Relax a little. Sheesh!! :blink:

afraid of a little old lady eh? roflmaoaypb

Ok fruitcake may not have been the best choice. Choco cake or cookies might be better.

Nothing wrong at all with a good debate.... Its good for people, makes them think...

And trying to explain something to someone while they are in their yard yelling at you is gonna get you no where. I recommend stopping by on a nice day when she doesnt have to come out in the weather to talk to you. Oh and I also think having a woman with you might make her feel less threatened than if a strange man or 2 showed up. Is the woman being paranoid?? Maybe, but You cant fault her for that. Handle the situation gently and kindly. Shes not a terrorist, Im sure.

Oh and thank you A&J tools... I tried not to spoil the fun LOL

Edited by Shelly69

What will she decide she wants next, who will she threaten with her gun next? Wake up.

Good point. The way this is going, pretty soon she will be wanting cookies or cake from every cacher who passes by. Presumably Toll House brands. Maybe we should make the road a power trail and her house a virtual (when those are reinstated). And our friends over at the garmin site could add a few more. That would show her. Nobody interferes with the frog. :anibad:

As long as she does not call in Uncle Vinny to help her out, since I know from personal experience that he really does know where you live.

Edited by mulvaney

IMO

Please post the results of your efforts to raid the crazy lady's compound when you get back. :rolleyes:

Discretion, the better part of valor!

IMO

afraid of a little old lady eh? roflmaoaypb

Respectful of.

Her part of the world? She owns all the public land within driving distance

She may. Nobody yet has commented on the GIS maps that I linked to above. I'm no expert, but it appears to me that she may will own both sides of the road.

Just a guess but both lots have the same mailing address.

Something else to think about, is the fact of the wind farm and this area just might be deemed critical infrastructure which would make the placement of the cache illegal per Homeland Security policies (if it is indeed on a transmission line). I can't tell but it looks like it is on a power trasmission pole. Is that allowed in California? Was permission given by the owner of the pole? She might just not be a crackpot as first assumed.

Here is the Alemeda County GIS: http://www.acgov.org/assessor/maps.htm

East side of Dyer Road (where the cache is)

Parcel 99B-6051-1

Situs Address: DYER RD LIVERMORE 94550

Description: Rural property used for agriculture, 10+ acres

Mailing address: PO Box 6389, Santa Fe, NM

West side of Dyer Road (where the lady lives)

Parcel 99B-6075-3

Situs Address: 2766 DYER RD LIVERMORE 94550

I am no GIS expert. Can anybody tell from this if the homeowner also owns the parcel on the west side of Dyer road?

My guess is she rents from:

New Mexico Hispano Chamber

P.O. BOX 6389

Santa Fe, NM 87502-6389 Phone: (505) 982-3094

Remove the caches and don't get involved.

It doesn't need to be 'her property'. She can be an annoyed neighbor who has the right to claim 'disturbing the peace' (or anything she wants).

The last thing this hobby needs is bad press. Avoid the situation completely. Silently walk away (with caches in hand) and preserve whatever peace there is left.

Disturbing the peace, a misdemeanor offense, does not give someone the right to commit assault with a deadly weapon. Under California law, "I have a gun" can be be charged as a felony if a gun is present

I look at this spot on Google Earth and I see a two lane Rd with a center line. It seems to be a short cut between two highways. The land around it seems to be dead. Of course the image is four years old.

Assault with a deadly weapon? Where did that come from? :blink:

If you want to look at a map that matters, take a look at the County GIS map that I linked to in this thread.

You do not have to physically harm someone to be charged with assault. Threatening someone with the means to complete the threat can constitute assault.

One last question... Then Im out.

When the cache was placed, who did you ask permission from to place it? #1 rule around here when placing a cache is to ask the property owners before doing it and assessing what effects it will have by placing it there. It seems if there is a problem, you should ask the property owner if maybe you miss judged the lines.

Basically thats all I want to know. Who did you ask for permission? Instead of guessing who owns the property the cache owner should already know.

If you didnt ask permission... Then... (not meaning to sound rude or anything) Then really (I hesitate to say this for fear of beheading, but Ill say it anyway) If you didnt ask then no one has any right to say "they have the right to be there."

**Runs for cover, before someone throws something**

You do not have to physically harm someone to be charged with assault. Threatening someone with the means to complete the threat can constitute assault.

Perhaps in some jurisdictions, though certainly none that I have heard of.

The statement "I have a gun" is no more an assault than stating "I have a pocket knife". (or, "i have a hamster" for that matter) At that point, all you have done is inform the person regarding objects in your possession. You have not committed an assault, as defined by statute. Unless you include a specific statement detailing that you intend to cause harm with your gun, knife, hamster, etc, you have not met the elements for the offense. In fact, in most states, you need to go even farther than that, adding some physical act, along with your specific verbal threat, which would make a reasonable and prudent person believe that your threat was imminent.

For instance:

You're at a Wally World and Bubba says "I'm gonna punch you in the snoot". Bubba has not committed an assault.

If Bubba states that, then clenches his fist, or steps toward you, he has committed an assault.

You do not have to physically harm someone but you do have to have "an unlawful attempt coupled with a present ability to commit violent injury on the person of another." (PC 240.) Admittedly, we know very little about what was said or done, but this was not an assault.

Something else to think about, is the fact of the wind farm and this area just might be deemed critical infrastructure which would make the placement of the cache illegal per Homeland Security policies (if it is indeed on a transmission line).

Ridiculous.

I did the cache in January. It's a hide near a telephone pole on the side of the road near a barbed-wire fence. Nowhere near any windmills. Nowhere near anything else I can think of. I don't recall it being on a structure that would require permission. The lady is nuts.

Something else to think about, is the fact of the wind farm and this area just might be deemed critical infrastructure which would make the placement of the cache illegal per Homeland Security policies (if it is indeed on a transmission line).

Ridiculous.

I did the cache in January. It's a hide near a telephone pole on the side of the road near a barbed-wire fence. Nowhere near any windmills. Nowhere near anything else I can think of. I don't recall it being on a structure that would require permission. The lady is nuts.

We live in an age when people are urged to contact homeland security if they see suspicious activity in a WallMart; where bomb squads have blown up film canisters in the middle of nowhere along a public road; where some states (like Kentucky) even have apps where you can report suspicious objects or items to homeland security. I don't know what her mental state might be, and we do not know all that was said; but seeing people stop for no apparent reason by the side of the road might make some people wonder . . . Perhaps she is nuts, perhaps a lot of people are.

Ridiculous.

Everything except for your last sentence would appear to be factual. The lady may be nuts, or the lady may honestly feel threatened, or the lady may be very protective of her territory (private property or not) or many other things. To assume that this unknown person, whom we haven't even heard say "I have a gun" is "nuts" is nuts!

Edited by knowschad

Everything except for your last sentence would appear to be factual. The lady may be nuts, or the lady may honestly feel threatened, or the lady may be very protective of her territory (private property or not) or many other things. To assume that this unknown person, whom we haven't even heard say "I have a gun" is "nuts" is nuts!

Everything except for your last sentence would appear to be correct. To assume that this unknown person, whom we haven't even heard say "I have a gun", is "nuts" is presumptuous! :P

Edited by mresoteric

Ridiculous.

I'm sorry, if you look to the west about a mile you'll see what I do believe are a couple rows of wind turbines. That power has to go somewhere. The electrical grid is considered vital infrastructure and it actually has a componant of Homeland Security assigned to it. I notice quite a few transformer substations in the area too. One very close to your hide.

I asked if it was on the power transmission pole. If it ain't, disregard but if it is in the vicinity of a power transmission zome, it'll get closer scrutiny by people who'd you'd rather not have to deal with (not threatening but rather red tape). All it would take is a phone call from said lady.

You do realize if it came to that, either a paper pusher having to get approval or just making the area off limits to geocaching, which will win, right? It might not be right but some times you have to back down and give in for the overall good.

I wouldn't want to confront the crazy old lady. But I would definitely pull the caches. If I were caching and someone came yelling at me, it would ruin my day at the very least. If I was a new cacher, I would never cache again. Seriously. Sorry it's happened to you, though.

Interestingly enough, after all these responses, I noticed we are all talking to each other, but the original poster has not replied. OP- did you decide to pull your caches? :laughing:

BTW- as far as crazy people are concerned, I have a good friend who was repeatedly threatened and bullied by a crazy neighbor. Even told about their "guns". Well, finally the crazy neighbor called the police on THEM for trimming his bushes that were protruding into their yard. Anyway, you know what the police said? "He's crazy and who knows what he would do, he has guns, so don't talk to him." That was their solution. They ended up having to move away to get away from him, no one in the entire neighbohood association or the police would do anything.

People who live out in the boonies really like their privacy, and so 34 cache visits in a year from strangers would be more than disconcerting to them. If it's bothering her and bothering the cachers, there is no other solution. It's just not a fun game when it gets to that point.

Edited by FloridaFour

Here is the Alemeda County GIS: http://www.acgov.org/assessor/maps.htm

East side of Dyer Road (where the cache is)

Parcel 99B-6051-1

Situs Address: DYER RD LIVERMORE 94550

West side of Dyer Road (where the lady lives)

Parcel 99B-6075-3

Situs Address: 2766 DYER RD LIVERMORE 94550

I am no GIS expert. Can anybody tell from this if the homeowner also owns the parcel on the west side of Dyer road?

Both parcels are owned by the same person.

Both parcels are owned by the same person.

Actually, I think they are both owned by a corporate/government entity.

New Mexico Hispano Chamber

P.O. BOX 6389

Santa Fe, NM 87502-6389 Phone: (505) 982-3094

Just guessing, but the lady with the gun either rents from or works for that entity.

Don't be a wuss, stand your ground! Explain to the ER docs or St. Peter that you were in the right! You can tell your new pals at the rehab clinic that you really shouldn't be in that wheelchair, because she had no business shooting you for no good reason. It wasn't even legal what she did! Or after they bury you your family can sue her because, you know, you had every right to be there! Don't let loons with guns scare you off! :huh: