And another which GPSr question...........

I know you must all get tired of seeing the "what GPSr should I buy" question so I do apologize and hope you will try to help me anyway.

I have been geocaching for about a month and have been using the car GPS - Garmin nuvi. I know this is not ideal but it has been fine while I have been learning my way. The Garmin died on the weekend so we went out today to look for a replacement and were lucky to find Garmin nuvi 1350 on sale for $119 CDN. We bought that so that's the car taken care of.

I'm heading to the States next week and was going to check out handheld units while I was there, but today at the store I saw they had etrex Legends for $109 (regular $379 - right!) because they have been discontinued. Unfortunately I forgot to write down if it was a specific model/number of Legend - it was blue and I didn't notice any letters after Legend.

My question is - do you think this is a good deal? I have been doing more Waymarking than geocaching in the past couple of weeks and think I'll continue more with the Waymarking with occasional geocaching. I definitely prefer urban caching/Waymarking - no plans to hike into the woods, over streams, up mountains, etc. I don't care it the unit is paperless or not.

Basically I want a decent unit that will give me good accuracy in urban settings - for searching caches and waymarks and eventually creating my own waymarks. Paper/paperless is not an issue. I need/want Canadian/North American maps included.

Any suggestions, opinions and comments will be welcome. It's hard when you are so new to something you don't even know the right quesions to ask. Thanks for your help.

I don't know if I would go for that deal. You can get the etrex legend h at best buy retail for that price. At this point I would go for the Dakota 10 which you can find in a bundle for under $150 now a days at many stores. It has many more features than the etrex and I think you would be happier in the long run. As for maps you can find topo maps included in the bundle and also if you check out gpsfiledepot.com you can find many maps for free.

Thanks CacheFreakTim - this is exactly the type of answer/advice I'm looking for.

I have been looking through the forum and the Dakota 10 has come up several times. I do know I definitely do want a handheld GPS so now it's just a matter of deciding which one would be best for what I want to use it for.

Off to continue re/searching.....

CacheFreakTim - Where are you finding the Dakota 10 for under $150? The best price I can find is $244 at Walmart in the States. I did see a refurbished for $154 online/from the States but I'm not keen on refurbished. Most of the prices I'm seeing for the Dakota 10 are closer to $299.

Any other suggestions for a basic unit for urban Waymarking/caching? Don't want topo maps because I won't be using them, don't care if it is paperless or not. Right now I don't think I need many features, even if they would be nice.

Anyone?

Don't want topo maps because I won't be using them, don't care if it is paperless or not. Right now I don't think I need many features, even if they would be nice.

Anyone?

First, topo maps are free. Second, you WILL find them very useful as well as trail maps. You will find paperless very useful as well.

If you really do not want any of these features, an Etrex H is $90, http://www.gpscity.ca/handheld-gps

The Legend HCx is on sale at GPSCentral for $150, http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/etrexlegend-hcx.html which gives you maps.

Thanks Red90

- I don't care about the topo maps because I really doubt I'll be trekking along trails or in a forest where they would definitely come in handy. I'm one of the urban caching/Waymarking fans. As for the paperless feature, I'm sure it would be nice but I don't mind paper - maybe I will think differently after I've experienced paperless. :)

- refurbished - can't honestly say why I'm not a fan. You do make a good point and as long as it did come from a reputable company and have some sort of warranty it should be fine - right? I think it's more of a comfort level thing where I buy new, from a company I know and can return to if there is any problem.

CacheFreakTim - Where are you finding the Dakota 10 for under $150? The best price I can find is $244 at Walmart in the States. I did see a refurbished for $154 online/from the States but I'm not keen on refurbished. Most of the prices I'm seeing for the Dakota 10 are closer to $299.

Any other suggestions for a basic unit for urban Waymarking/caching? Don't want topo maps because I won't be using them, don't care if it is paperless or not. Right now I don't think I need many features, even if they would be nice.

Anyone?

Check Ebay. New units have a buy it now price of about $160 to $180. With about a month of watching the Dakota 10's on ebay i was finally able to land one with a closing bid of $122.50. But many sellers now are starting the bidding at $120. SOme are even putting the Buy it now price over $200. Guess i hit ebay about the time Everyone cleaned out Target on the $40 clearance and posted them on ebay.

Anyone?

GanderMountain has it right now for $149 (after mail in rebate) till the end of the month. Also Amazon usually has it for around $140ish.

A few things that you need to know about the Bblue Legend. It's cable uses a 9 pin mini D serial cable to attach it to your computer. If you do not have a serial port on your computer, which is very likely, you'll need a USB to serial adapter. $20-$30 US.

Second, Since you are a Premium member you'll want to use Pocket Queries to send multiple waypoints to your unit. You cannot directly interface with the unit to send multiple waypoints. You will need a 3rd party program such as Easy GPS, (free), or GSAK.

With the Dakota, you plug in the USB cable and it is recognized as a mass storage device, (thumbdrive), and you can simply copy the GPX, (cache), files directly to the unit.

Edit for content, I found my first 1500 caches with a blue legend. It maintained good accuracy except under very heavy canopy on mountain trails.

Edited by Don_J

Okay, now I'm going to throw another contender into the mix. What about the nuvi 550?

I was out looking at more GPSrs today and someone suggested the nuvi550 for what I wanted

- street names

- ability to get/use lat/long coordinates

- mainly used for urban Waymarking/caching

We have a nuvi for the car and I've been using it for geocaching/Waymarking - I like it and find it easy to use. I was thinking the 550 might be a good fit for me.

I was reading older posts about problems when the nuvi550 first came out but maybe the glitches have been fixed by now?

What's the difference good/bad between the 500 and 550.

Thanks again for all of your help, bit by bit I'm learning about the world of GPSs.

A few things that you need to know about the Bblue Legend. It's cable uses a 9 pin mini D serial cable to attach it to your computer. If you do not have a serial port on your computer, which is very likely, you'll need a USB to serial adapter. $20-$30 US.

Second, Since you are a Premium member you'll want to use Pocket Queries to send multiple waypoints to your unit. You cannot directly interface with the unit to send multiple waypoints. You will need a 3rd party program such as Easy GPS, (free), or GSAK.

With the Dakota, you plug in the USB cable and it is recognized as a mass storage device, (thumbdrive), and you can simply copy the GPX, (cache), files directly to the unit.

Edit for content, I found my first 1500 caches with a blue legend. It maintained good accuracy except under very heavy canopy on mountain trails.

Both the eTrex Legend and Legend H use a USB cable do they not? I have the Legend H and it uses the USB cable. I believe my uncle in-law was using the regular Legend when he introduced us to caching. Pretty sure it used a USB cable. Could be wrong.

Both the eTrex Legend and Legend H use a USB cable do they not? I have the Legend H and it uses the USB cable. I believe my uncle in-law was using the regular Legend when he introduced us to caching. Pretty sure it used a USB cable. Could be wrong.

Only if they changed it. My old blue eTrex Legend came with a 9 pin D serial cable with a funky four conductor connector that slid onto the top, back of the unit.

Okay, now I'm going to throw another contender into the mix. What about the nuvi 550?

I was out looking at more GPSrs today and someone suggested the nuvi550 for what I wanted

- street names

- ability to get/use lat/long coordinates

- mainly used for urban Waymarking/caching

We have a nuvi for the car and I've been using it for geocaching/Waymarking - I like it and find it easy to use. I was thinking the 550 might be a good fit for me.

I was reading older posts about problems when the nuvi550 first came out but maybe the glitches have been fixed by now?

What's the difference good/bad between the 500 and 550.

Thanks again for all of your help, bit by bit I'm learning about the world of GPSs.

I love the Nuvi 500/550 series. A lot of people write it off becuse it has the Nuvi name on it, but the reality is it does do paperless caching with interface is similar to the Dakota/Oregons. The only major downside is the battery only gives you 5hrs compared to 16-20. I did a mini review on my site and show pics of the interface and what it looks like caching. I think it is the perfect driving/caching GPS.

I have a question since I'm kinda going about the same thing....I have a Garmin nuvi 1300lmt and was just wondering how good of a device this is for geocaching....I've found over 60 caches with it so far so it gets the job done, however I've been finding pretty easy ones. When I bought my GPS I hadn't gotten into geocaching yet. Now that I have I'm wondering if I should just keep using the one I'm using or if I should get something else/different.

I was also wondering about the Garmin Chirp Geocaching Wireless Beacon....does anyone know if that works on a Garmin nuvi 1300LMT?

My question is - do you think this is a good deal? I have been doing more Waymarking than geocaching in the past couple of weeks and think I'll continue more with the Waymarking with occasional geocaching. I definitely prefer urban caching/Waymarking - no plans to hike into the woods, over streams, up mountains, etc. I don't care it the unit is paperless or not.

Basically I want a decent unit that will give me good accuracy in urban settings - for searching caches and waymarks and eventually creating my own waymarks. Paper/paperless is not an issue. I need/want Canadian/North American maps included.

I'm old school so I'll throw in a vote for the now-discontinued 60Cx. It's not paperless, but it was pretty much the gold standard for caching for a number of years. Combine it with the free maps available online and you're set.

I'll also comment about the topo maps -- even if you never leave the city limits topo maps are very handy things to have. Even in city parks it can be handy to know which side of the creek the cache is on, or if it is at the top of the hill or the bottom, etc. If you've already bought your Nuvi for street navigation, there is no reason not to use topo for when you're outside the vehicle.

Update -

I wanted to come back and let you know what I finally decided on. I bought the Garmin nuvi 550, it was delivered yesterday. I think this is a good fit for me at this time. Bit by bit I'm finding (and playing with) the different features and hopefully will be completely comfortable with it very soon.

Thanks again to everyone for all of your help and suggestions.

I'm old school so I'll throw in a vote for the now-discontinued 60Cx. It's not paperless, but it was pretty much the gold standard for caching for a number of years. Combine it with the free maps available online and you're set.

I'll also comment about the topo maps -- even if you never leave the city limits topo maps are very handy things to have. Even in city parks it can be handy to know which side of the creek the cache is on, or if it is at the top of the hill or the bottom, etc. If you've already bought your Nuvi for street navigation, there is no reason not to use topo for when you're outside the vehicle.

I have a habit of losing or forgetting things while travelling. Like a Canon Rebel SLR (with gadget bag) in a taxicab in Atlanta and my wallet in a theatre in New York, so I travel with my Garmin 60CX, my very first GPS. I also have a 60CSX and a 62S but I would feel uncomfortable and have a sense of impending doom if I brought along either one of those. Oddly enough, I check, double check and triple check to make sure the Garmin is still with me. Not so the camera, wallet, etc....

Update -

I wanted to come back and let you know what I finally decided on. I bought the Garmin nuvi 550, it was delivered yesterday. I think this is a good fit for me at this time. Bit by bit I'm finding (and playing with) the different features and hopefully will be completely comfortable with it very soon.

Thanks again to everyone for all of your help and suggestions.

Congrats. I know you will love it...I love mine. It's nice to have one gps that does both Geocaching and still have paperless data. Enjoy!