Pocket queries have become zipped

S&AT

I have a pocket query which is emailed to me daily. Until three or four days ago, the attachment was a pair of gpx files. But as of last week, I'm now receiving a zip of the gpx files instead, which breaks my post-processing. I have not changed the settings of the PQ, and I have verified that the "Compress files into *.zip format" checkbox is still unchecked.

Is anyone else seeing this?

I have a pocket query which is emailed to me daily. Until three or four days ago, the attachment was a pair of gpx files. But as of last week, I'm now receiving a zip of the gpx files instead, which breaks my post-processing. I have not changed the settings of the PQ, and I have verified that the "Compress files into *.zip format" checkbox is still unchecked.

over 500 caches is automatically zipped.

Thanks, I'd forgotten that. But it turns out that this PQ only has 248 results (and is limited to 500).

What are you using to post-process the results? Ever since I found out that GSAK and ExpertGPS will handle the zipfile I always specify that the PQ results should be sent as a zip file (the default behavior).

Over 500 don't get emailed either.

What are you using to post-process the results? Ever since I found out that GSAK and ExpertGPS will handle the zipfile I always specify that the PQ results should be sent as a zip file (the default behavior).

I'm using my own Perl script, to make a nicer Google map than the Groundspeak one ("nicer" in the sense of "more customised to my preferences"). I seem to remember I had trouble unzipping the file on the fly, but I may be able to make it work if I have to. That still doesn't explain why it's changed though.

Go into your PQ on the PQ page. Scroll all the way to the bottom. There is a checkbox which tells it to zip the GPX files. Just uncheck it and run the PQ again and you should be all set.

Thanks, but that box is already unchecked.

I'm using my own Perl script, to make a nicer Google map than the Groundspeak one ("nicer" in the sense of "more customised to my preferences"). I seem to remember I had trouble unzipping the file on the fly, but I may be able to make it work if I have to. That still doesn't explain why it's changed though.

I can't explain why it may have changed either. I've done essentially the same thing that you have but used PHP to process a PQ download and used a "zip" library to unzip the GPX files before transforming the waypoints into a format I could display on a custom map. I've been a big fan of perl but surely there's a module for unziping files that should work.

Daft suggestion: Is your ISP/mail provider zipping the file, before you get it?

This is so extremely unlikely, bandwidth is WAY cheaper than CPU, and it would also infer your ISP is snooping through your emails.

More likely is GC has made a change and just simply doesn't inquire the user setting and assumes the user wants it zipped.

I ran a pocket query a long time ago and it worked...I don't remember how. I ran one and it got sent to me, but I don't know how to unzip it...the program geocaching.com recommended for a mac was $30. I have no idea what to do to unzip the gpx files that were sent to me. Please help...I'm not very techy.. Thanks.

I ran a pocket query a long time ago and it worked...I don't remember how. I ran one and it got sent to me, but I don't know how to unzip it...the program geocaching.com recommended for a mac was $30. I have no idea what to do to unzip the gpx files that were sent to me. Please help...I'm not very techy.. Thanks.

Edit to remove total screw-up.

Edited by Klatch

Not a Mac user, but there are several free unzip applications listed here