Odd cache listing

So I get this email notification about a new cache that is 1 mile and a half from me. Great! I might be able to snag a FTF on this one!

Well, when I pulled up the page, I see

Sorry, you cannot view this cache listing until it has been published.

Huh!

And it's still that way, 2 days later!

Any ideas on how this happened?

The cache was published, or more correctly, will be published about a week from now. Unfortunately, communications travel so fast now, that some are actually traveling back in time. That's how I won Wednesday's lottery, I texted myself the numbers next week so I could get it by yesterday.

You can set for a "Retract Listing" notification, in case the reviewer does it again on another cache!

Thanks, but it hardly seems worth the effort around here. I don't remember having this before, so it really doesn't happen often!

My reviewer did it 3 times in a couple of weeks. It that often? :D

Us locals have theorized that they've just hit the wrong button. If true that "retract listing" notifications are broke, I guess the wrong button theory has merit.

If true that "retract listing" notifications are broke, I guess the wrong button theory has merit.

I believe it's because the action on the listing happens before the notifications get sent out (i.e. the cache already shows up as being disabled in the notifications for a disable log) and unpublished caches are probably exempted from generating notifications at all.

If true that "retract listing" notifications are broke, I guess the wrong button theory has merit.

I believe it's because the action on the listing happens before the notifications get sent out (i.e. the cache already shows up as being disabled in the notifications for a disable log) and unpublished caches are probably exempted from generating notifications at all.

They used to work, and GC still (unless removed very recently) has a checkbox for the option on the notification pages.

The cache was published, or more correctly, will be published about a week from now. Unfortunately, communications travel so fast now, that some are actually traveling back in time. That's how I won Wednesday's lottery, I texted myself the numbers next week so I could get it by yesterday.

Good one! :lol:

I've only noticed it a couple of times.

Once was an out-of-stater who listed the cache in his home state. That reviewer published it, then noticed it was not in his jurisdiction. It was retracted to let the proper reviewer review it.

The other was four caches with a bonus. My suspicion is that one had a proximity issue, so all five were retracted. We spent two weeks wondering who hid he caches, and where they were, until the situation was resolved. (One hide was not nearly as good as the others, and was just over a tenth from a new hide.) That's my guess.

I have never received a retract listing notice, and I set up my notification the day they became available.

I have seen a cache published, put it on my watch list, see it retracted, and then see every reviewer note and co note land in my mailbox.

You apparently had a "Future Publications" alert set. That is a Platinum feature that was apparently temporarily activated for you by some freakish accident.

Maybe I'm a platinum member and don't know it? :unsure:

EDIT: This is kinda getting like I should have posted this in the off topic forum! :huh:

Edited by BC & MsKitty

You can set for a "Retract Listing" notification, in case the reviewer does it again on another cache!

Thanks, but it hardly seems worth the effort around here. I don't remember having this before, so it really doesn't happen often!

My reviewer did it 3 times in a couple of weeks. It that often? :D

Us locals have theorized that they've just hit the wrong button. If true that "retract listing" notifications are broke, I guess the wrong button theory has merit.

Wrong button can happen but it's probably rare. A more likely reason is that the reviewer noticed an issue post publication that he didn't catch before he hit the publish button. Another possibility is that a someone brought an issue with the cache to the attention of the reviewer that the review process didn't catch. In both cases if there aren't any finds yet, then the cache is usually retracted instead of archived.

Edited by briansnat