How Far Round Trip and a "Cool" Rating

~Treasure Seekers~

I'd like to see a field that would give us some clue as to how far the cache is from where you would park your car. Something easy like less than 1 mile, 2mi, 3mi, 5+. It could be optional because I realize some people like to keep this a mystery, one more thing for us to figure out. But I geocache with kids sometimes and it would be nice to know. Also, I know its been beat to death, but a rating system would be sooo great, not for difficulty or terrain, but just a "coolness" factor for the cache, in the opinion of the finder.

We're considering a "recommend this cache" idea where you can just click a button and add some text along with your recommendation. x users have recommended this cache would be just as effective as a rating system, I think.

I'm not sure about the distance idea, though it does have merit. I'll still continue to consider the idea and the best way to implement it.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

Hmmmm - wouldn't optional fields for parking coordinates (complete with a downloadable waypoint for EasyGPS) solve the distance thing? I suggested it a while ago, but I can't get the search engine to work.

Again - it would not be a required field. Since some people are already including parking coordinates in their caches, it would just be an OPTION to download them directly to the GPS. And then a distance parking to cache could be calculated and displayed.

Edit: Cachew Nut argued that he would use those parking coordinates if they were given. It might take some of the fun out of the hunt.

If someone can markwell me to the thread, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I re-read the original posts and corrected myself

[This message was edited by Markwell on February 11, 2003 at 10:21 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Hmmmm - wouldn't optional fields for parking coordinates (complete with a downloadable waypoint for EasyGPS) solve the distance thing?

It'd only give you the distance in crow-miles. Especially when you have a good elevation change, that can be significantly different from the actual distance.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Hmmmm - wouldn't optional fields for parking coordinates (complete with a downloadable waypoint for EasyGPS) solve the distance thing?

True. This is an option we're considering.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

I love the idea of parking coordinates. True they could give away more than the cache hider would like, so I think it should be optional. What I like best about having the option for parking coordinates (or maybe trailhead coordinates) would be the ability for the hider to strongly suggest where to start. Maybe there's a way to find the cache quickly from .1 miles away but the cache hider feels there's a much more interesting route that would be much longer. Or, maybe the cache hider would just like to challenge the people seeking the cache and park them where it's harder to get to the location. Plenty of value to having these coordinates available. One disadvantage--it'll fill up my GPS much quicker if everyone starts to use them!

Of my 3 active caches, I put parking # at 1, no one seems to use them. People seem to like big paved parking lots and bushwhacking. I also state that animal trails are what I use off major trails. No dammage done to virgin land, a 200 year old orchard and cranberry bog sandpits. Some people just don't read and want to use 'gee-whiz' technology to find, turn and burn to and from caches. *sigh*

I think the 'cool' factor is reflected through previous logs.