An Open Letter to Groundspeak

The following letter was originally presented to Groundspeak's Jeremy Irish at a Reviewers' event in Oxford, England, in September last year by members of the Geolympix Team. It outlined the Geolympix event concept and pitched it as an annual, roving event with its own icon which would travel the planet to reflect the global nature of Geocaching. Met with initial enthusiasm, Groundspeak have been quiet on the proposal of late - we've posted about it on the UK forum and emailed both contact@Groundspeak.com and Jeremy directly, but without reply, so far - so this thread it intended to bring it back to their attention, gather international comment on the idea and hopefully discover if there is an equivalent event planned elsewhere in the world (US?) for 2011.

It has also been suggested that the Geolympix (or equivalent event) follows the Olympics to the host country every fourth year, but this is in no way set in stone at the moment - it may not always be practical, but this would be something for Groundspeak to decide.

GEOLYMPIX

A Proposal by the UK 2012 'Geolympix' Mega Event Team

-

Dr Alan Solomon, Europe's leading geocache finder (16k+) [Now 19k+ and Europe's #2]

James Gray, inspirational force & international Mega bagger

Paul Smith; the UK's leading cache event organiser ([40], with several more planned)

Wendy Morrell, Olympic torch bearer & Inclusive/HandiCaching champion

[Alison Clayton and David & Mary Gerrie have also joined the team]

-

Dear Jeremy and the Groundspeak team,

As Geocaching has developed, the expectations of the game's players have developed. From humble beginnings it is now a truly international pastime with a global appeal. We feel it is time to recognise this scale, and Geocaching's ability to bring people together, to launch a new sort of event. One that reflects the ambition of the game. One that represents all that's great about Geocaching.

We're calling the idea Geolympix, but Groundspeak may have a better name for the concept:

A roving annual 'Mega Mega', to be held in a new country each year, decided upon by Groundspeak in response to national 'pitches' - much like the Olympics are - with the winning pitch announced at the end of the previous year's event to give organisers and promoters a full year to gather international interest in their country's pre-planned Geolympix meet.

While still in the development stage, and with [15] months to go, the UK 2012 'Geolympix' Mega plans are already impressing people with their scope and aspiration; aiming to create a week of Geocaching challenges and events with a truly international appeal, on a non-profit basis. A permanent 26 mile 385 yard Marathon circuit of caches, an '11 icons in 11 hours' event, CITO meet and cultural and sporting 'disciplines' to compliment the London 2012 Olympics, which will start the weekend after the Geolympix programme ends with a spectacular closing ceremony. There will be fireworks! We are anticipating 2500+ visitors, from all around the world (the last Mega event in the UK drew 1300+ people from 47 different countries - we aim to beat the number of countries too) in a venue designed to handle that number of people and more. Naturally, future Geolympix events would reflect their own country's times, with programmes of events in keeping with their cultural diversity, from hog roasts to caching-themed quizzes or 'geocaching songs' karaoke nights. Each one an example of the creativity and enthusiasm of that nation's cachers. They say caching takes you places you'd never otherwise see - we think that should include countries you might otherwise never have a reason to visit.

We hope that the above piques your interest and you'd like to know more about the idea. Members of the (still growing) UK 2012 Geolympix team would be happy to meet you to discuss the concept and our existing plans while you're still in the UK.

Regards,

The UK 2012 'Geolympix' Mega Event Team

Edited by Simply Paul

Nice letter to present a nice idea! My first reaction was along the lines of "too big, too complicated" but then I thought that all the great ideas have to start somewhere. I dig it. Might be tough to pull off as you imagine it, but I think it's a good idea. Good luck.

i could be wrong, but i think people are missing the point.

if i'm correct, this UK group has already held MEGA events and the one they're planning now will happen with or without Groundspeak. they're just trying to raise MORE interest in the concept and to get Groundspeak to 'officially sanction' the event.

i'm new to geocaching but i'm really excited about my new hobby and plan to attend many events.

i think this "MEGA MEGA GEOLYMPICS EVENT" is an AWESOME idea, and if i can talk my wife into it I'LL BE THERE.

What I take from that is that you basically want a special icon to try to bolster interest and attendance.

GeoWoodstock is pretty huge. I don't know what the final total was last year, but it had to be around 4,000 or something. I don't know if it or any Mega event "brand" needs its own icon, but who knows. The slippery slope begins of what it takes to get that icon and maintaining that level, yadda yadda.

Edited to clarify: Groups of cachers submit proposals for the honor of hosting GeoWoodstock to the original organizers of the "brand" and it sustains itself without any help from Groundspeak. So does Midwest Geobash. So does Geocoin Fest. Why can't this concept? I don't understand why Groundspeak has to be involved I guess.

Edited by mtn-man

I'm still a noob (check the tagline) by my own definitions, but doesn't this kind of event bolster a competitive spirit to a game/hobby that has been trying to be as inclusive as possible? I take away from the guidelines and these forums that we are trying to open this up to as many people as possible, not become a sport to crow about "I'm better cuz..."

I already see a slippery slope forming with the milestones and the accolades given to those who have done them. Please don't get me wrong. I believe these achievements are great but not against anyone else, just yourself. "I hiked out to {insert title here}, a 5/5, and found it!!" or "I completed a Fizzymagic Challenge or even a 100/100"... The list is huge.

I guess to boil this post down to it's barest form would be this question... Who are you to compete against? Yourself? I'm in and all for it! But, if someone is to get gold cuz they found one more a little faster than 2nd place... BOO HISS NO NO NO!!!!

What I take from that is that you basically want a special icon to try to bolster interest and attendance.

GeoWoodstock is pretty huge. I don't know what the final total was last year, but it had to be around 4,000 or something. I don't know if it or any Mega event "brand" needs its own icon, but who knows. The slippery slope begins of what it takes to get that icon and maintaining that level, yadda yadda.

Edited to clarify: Groups of cachers submit proposals for the honor of hosting GeoWoodstock to the original organizers of the "brand" and it sustains itself without any help from Groundspeak. So does Midwest Geobash. So does Geocoin Fest. Why can't this concept? I don't understand why Groundspeak has to be involved I guess.

I get this. I like the idea of another mega event that's moving from country to country, but the above makes complete sense.

Now I'm not sure what I think about the competative aspect of it all, but there's nothing that says you have to compete to attend....